The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Guru Voodoo

Guru Voodoo

I attended a national level contest this past weekend and it was a good show and saw a lot of friends in the crowd and on stage. But unfortunately I heard some behind the scenes stories of the same old guru voodoo-itis that is so common in the industry and competitors fall prey to. I have coached hundreds of competitors and with the females I rarely do anything different with them during what they call “peak week”, especially bikini & figure.

I had a figure competitor at one week out and she was anxious to get her last week’s preparation guidelines. She took out her pen and I told her NO changes. But this is the last week! What about carb depleting? What about fat loading? What about water pills or cutting water? What about… the fact that she couldn’t look any better, Period!! How could some last minute Guru-Voodoo make what is best, better? It can’t. I know how competitors get before a show. Doing nothing seems somehow counter-intuitive. But I learned a long time ago from my mentor that “coaching” and “leadership” are different things. There is an old saying that the sign of a good leader is someone “who can keep his head about him while everyone around him is losing theirs.”

That certainly describes the last week before a contest for thousands and thousands of competitors (and their coaches as well). But we had Trust in our coaching relationship. Trust is different than blind faith. The latter is so often the norm in this industry, and is used to take advantage of so many people. Real coaching has become rare. So my client enters the show, with the same meal to meal diet, the same training the week before, the same water intake, everything same and she wins.

On the other side here is an email I have received from other competitors. One girl is so confused because she has no idea why her body is acting out on her. She sent me all her pre-contest info from her trainer. It was “the kitchen sink approach.” This useless coach was throwing everything at this poor girl. She was carb-cycling. She was sodium loading and depleting, she was aerobic cycling. She was water loading. She was taking water pills, etc… Her coach was attempting to employ any and all tactics she had ever heard of. Really!?

But the one strategy this coach did not have was an understanding of “biofeedback.” Tactics come after strategy, not in lieu of it. As a result this girl’s physique was a mess. As mu mentor says “Coax the body and it responds, force the body and it reacts.” And that is what this coach did: reaction instead of response.

And here is my clients same water intake, same diet, etc... We coaxed her body to look the best it ever had. No magic last minute tricks. Sometimes the most brilliant change of all, is NO change at all! But you can’t teach this kind of expertise. Knowing and understanding human biofeedback takes time and experience.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

What really pisses me off is, people watch one Layne Norton Video and all of sudden they're and expert in dieting down for a show.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bryduck View Post
    What really pisses me off is, people watch one Layne Norton Video and all of sudden they're and expert in dieting down for a show.
    Yep and just because someone has competed and done well or has the "Pro" status they think they are knowledgeable and an expert. Lots of so called "gurus" out there.

Good post Allen, less is so often more. I'm reminded of this every time I see a dieter want to drop cals, or add cardio, or manipulate macros etc just because they didn't have a linear weigh in when all they need is to just stay the course and not react to every little change or lack of change that they see.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Good post Allen, less is so often more. I'm reminded of this every time I see a dieter want to drop cals, or add cardio, or manipulate macros etc just because they didn't have a linear weigh in when all they need is to just stay the course and not react to every little change or lack of change that they see.
    Biggest mind fuck of all time. Scale says 215 one day, then 209 a couple days later with no changes. You're right in that you just need to keep going. I find my weight really bouncing around much more as I am past the 7 week mark and I still haven't changed a thing.

I think a lot of people freak out when they same weight, that's why it is important to take pictures and measure circumferences.
    Last edited by Matthew Bryduck; 08-02-2013 at 08:20 AM.

Use the mirror first and foremost, it Doesn't lie! Along with of course other bio-feedback internal indicators.

I do have my competitors take their weight daily when they are about 5 weeks out or when they are near their conditioning level they need to be in just in case there is a massive drop in weight and I have seen this countless times.

I had one competitor staying around 210 lbs then in one day it dropped to 203. I didn't react just gave it another day and it was still down so I gave him a huge re-feed day to fill him back out because there will sometimes come a point when the body start breaking down muscle because you are in such a depleted state so re-feeding the body with a huge calorie spike with not only keep metabolism up and running, but feed the body what it needs so it doesn't take it from your muscles. This is the rare times weight dictates things and its only if you are in shredded condition.

Reminds me of the saying, if's its not broken then don't try and fix it!