Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My transformation Update 8/24

My transformation Update 8/24

To make a long story short, I was going to compete this summer in my first body building show. I started to diet strictly on manipulation of macros and hiit. I had some success and lost 15lbs before deciding to a Coach that was recommended to me by my mentor/friend/training partner. This was the best decision I'd ever made in my entire life. Regardless of whatever it cost to hire him, I learned more about my body in 8 weeks than I had in my entire life. So, I started working with my diet coach in June where I was roughly 20 percent bf. The end results 8 weeks later is 13 percent bf and in my opinion a dramatic transformation.

My ultimate goal was to compete this summer, but I decided not to in favor of getting down to 8 percent to learn my body. Once I achieve this, I will be starting my offseason from there. For this offseason I will be on a nutrition plan and will be much smarter with my food choices. I have found out that I'm very sensitive to gluten and carbohydrates. I will keep you guys updated as I progress through my transformation. If you guys have any questions, do not be afraid to ask.

Before:

After:

Last edited by Matthew Bryduck; 08-26-2013 at 09:41 PM.

Great work!. You made some nice changes. One thing you mention is you said you found out you are sensitive to carbs & gluten? How did you determine this? I would say you are not necessarily sensitive to carbs, but because your BF was high you could not utilize it efficiently. I say this because I have had many discussions with some top experts and nutritionists and almost always once someone reduces their BF they are able to increase their carb intake. As you said you didn't make good food choices in the past and that can absolutely ad in the issue.
    Also with gluten most of the time its the sources of food and not really the gluten in them that cause issues. Unless you have celiac disease you should be able to eat foods that have gluten in them as long as they are not processed sources such as oats, quinoa, ezikiel bread, etc....

Not trying to knock anything you are doing by any means, just wouldn't want to see someone with your potential and love for the sport get pulled into what many people are now a days.

Again great job and keep hitting it hard.

I found out sensitivity by simply removing things that are allergens out of my diet (dairy, gluten, eggs). I basically follow a high fat low carb diet with carb timing. I'm not gonna get into a heated debated about this, but my coach uses a tool called Biosignature. Basically a Biosignature tells you that you hold fat in certain regions in your body due to hormonal imbalances. I will more than likely remain gluten free for the rest of my life as I feel no need to include it in my diet. Also, while doing this keto diet I gain 2kgs of muscle and lost over 30lbs of fat. This was measure on a dexa scan which is the most accurate way to measure body fat and lean body mass. If you interested in what I'm doing, there is a book called the Anabolic Diet by Dr. Marco Dipasquele. This will give a basic idea of what I'm doing and why.

Also I'm working with Bpak who is my mentor/training partner, he hooked me up with the guy that does his nutrition. Ben is a very smart individual and wouldn't recommend some quack guru to me.

This was also done on zero cardio and 4k calories.

I know what Biosignature is . Charles poliquin is the one behind it. I have also read Anabolic Diet by Dr. Marco Dipasquele when it first came out a while back. Ben is a very knowledgeable guy as well. I've been in tis industry 20 years so trust me I have read and researched everything, especially by the top guys in the industry. I wasn't making my statement trying to debate just asking a questions and you are getting your info from a crediable source so its all good. I don't know if I would consider your diet Keto, just low carb since you are doing carb timing. But either way you are surrounded by knowledgeable individuals.

I just see a lot of guys randomly doing things that may not be needed just because they read it somewhere or because some well know competitor is doing it. That's not the case with you.

Allen, I totally agree with you. I'm currently working on building my knowledge base and learning from the best so I can one day help people.

Allen also makes a good point about carbs. As you lose body fat your insulin sensitivity almost always goes up (for otherwise healthy individuals), so how your body responded to carbs at a higher body fat level and then at a lower one can be quite different.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Chris, I def agree with you on this. Even if I ingest 200g of carbs, I'm still depleted by the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bryduck View Post
    Chris, I def agree with you on this. Even if I ingest 200g of carbs, I'm still depleted by the next day.
    You have a lot of muscle. If you're extremely depleted it could easily take a kg of carbs to replenish all your glycogen...
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

I noticed my magic number is somewhere between 400-600g of carbs. I will be fine tuning this as I progress through my off season.

That's the thing and I see it all the time in competitors I diet down. Once they are roughly less than 7-8% BF they require more fuel because the body utilizes it much more efficiently than before. Its funny though I have guys 2-3 weeks out from a contest taking in 300g carbs, which may sound like a lot to some, but they still have low energy and constantly hungry. No matter what your carb intake is once your body gets to a certain bodyfat level you will suffer to a point because you are taking your body beyond what its set point is and something that isn't sustainable long term.

Some just don't get it that being contest shredded is hard on the body and it takes you being able to get way out of your comfort zone to achieve it. Which is another reason a lot of individuals aren't genetically made for competing, they just don't have the resilient metabolism that is needed. If these people do compete and do get to that point, they usually have to go to real extremes with a negative reaction after its all over.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    That's the thing and I see it all the time in competitors I diet down. Once they are roughly less than 7-8% BF they require more fuel because the body utilizes it much more efficiently than before. Its funny though I have guys 2-3 weeks out from a contest taking in 300g carbs, which may sound like a lot to some, but they still have low energy and constantly hungry. No matter what your carb intake is once your body gets to a certain bodyfat level you will suffer to a point because you are taking your body beyond what its set point is and something that isn't sustainable long term.

Some just don't get it that being contest shredded is hard on the body and it takes you being able to get way out of your comfort zone to achieve it. Which is another reason a lot of individuals aren't genetically made for competing, they just don't have the resilient metabolism that is needed. If these people do compete and do get to that point, they usually have to go to real extremes with a negative reaction after its all over.
    Is the lean relaxed look (10%) permanently maintainable?

Quote Originally Posted by FearFactory View Post
    That is completely a genetic and individual thing. Some can maintain lower body fat than others without problems

Yes... with psychological adaptation. Learn to tolerate not being full all the time over looking for some magical macros or protocol and you're set. Which is precisely and solely the reason IF works to keep some people lean IMO.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 08-02-2013 at 11:26 AM.

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Yes... with psychological adaptation. Learn to tolerate not being full all the time over looking for some magical macros or protocol and you're set. Which is precisely and solely the reason IF works to keep some people lean IMO.
    I could only do IF if all my eating was at work. I just lose all ability to focus/concentrate when I am starving. I guess a lot of coffee could help.

When I am there I will worry about it. Gotta get there first. 4% or so to go.

I could only do IF if all my eating was at work. I just lose all ability to focus/concentrate when I am starving. I guess a lot of coffee could help.

When I am there I will worry about it. Gotta get there first. 4% or so to go.
    IF was just an example. Your set point is a function of your hormones and of the way you decide to live your life. If you want to change it then take drugs or change an influencing part of your lifestyle.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 08-02-2013 at 11:56 AM.

My diet is high in fat which is very satiating. I really have no problems with hunger at all. I've noticed my body much more efficient when my fats are high. Caveat to that even with 200gs of carbs a day (doing two workouts a day), I still find myself going fat and getting a little run down. So, Friday or Saturday I need a load day. I noticed as I've gotten leaner and my insulin sensitivity has increased, I can consume more carbs with out spilling over.

Good job Matthew!

Also, a very good discussion set on...thanks, guys.

What was your weight before and after? Height?

Before 240-250lbs After 223-226lbs and my height in 68.5 inches.
    Last edited by Matthew Bryduck; 08-04-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Great job.

Im not sure if you've gone over it in a pervious thread..but what actual foods are you/do you like consuming during this dieting process?
    (Raw)
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Protein: Organic 85/15 Ground Beef, Chicken, Wild Caught Salmon, Whey protein

Veggies: 6-12 servings a day

Fats: Coconut, Fish oil, organic/grassfed cow butter

Carbs: Rice, bananas, sweet potatoes, dextrose powder (these were only consumed post workouts)

I fully convinced the success to my prep was my awesome coach and the work ethic I have. I'm and was meticulous with my food quality and measured/weighed everything. My ultimate goal is to go pro, so needless to say I'm very focused.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bryduck View Post
    I fully convinced the success to my prep was my awesome coach and the work ethic I have. I'm and was meticulous with my food quality and measured/weighed everything. My ultimate goal is to go pro, so needless to say I'm very focused.
    This is a key for anyone looking to take their body to the next level, find a good, "qualified" coach. Ben P. is one of the very few pros that actually took the time to learn proper application of planes and ranges of motion and to step outside the traditional thinking in bodybuilding as far as application. He doesn't just lift and rely on his genetics. I have a lot of respect for him and his growth in knowledge over the years. he actually worked with my mentor at one point. He has learned from some the best.

I will be posting some update pics of my progress if anyone is interested.