The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Personal Training Certification

Hey Wannabebig,

Just wanted to get your combined opinions on which of the personal trainer certifications in the best. Thoughts?

Matt

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The most recognized is NSCA & ACSM. As far as what you learn that can be applied its very minimal. Certifications are a money making scheme (between the costs of memeberships, CEUs, etc..). The reasons most top experts have them is because we have to have liability insurance and you can't get it without a certification.

I might be able to do the NASM certification for free. I'll let you know if it pans out, in the mean time I have the text book. Also how did you attract your first paying customers? I've been helping a few people for free, but its time to start making money.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    The most recognized is NSCA & ACSM. As far as what you learn that can be applied its very minimal. Certifications are a money making scheme (between the costs of memeberships, CEUs, etc..). The reasons most top experts have them is because we have to have liability insurance and you can't get it without a certification.
    Agree completely. I got my certification through NASM, and though it's a fairly well respected cert, I can tell you I learned literally nothing new from the course.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

NASM is fine for just a personal trainer out of a gym or something. Like Allen said NSCA and ACSM are the most widely recognized but more times than not you don't really need those unless you are trying to work for a college or university or the gym requires it.

Attracting clients is tricky. If your gym doesn't have a staff trainer you might look into buying the training rights to the gym, which means that when someone wants to ask about a personal trainer there, you are the one they come to. Or if someone wants to do some personal training they pay you a fee or percentage to be able to do that.

If you cant work through the training rights developing a reputation for quality work, getting some advertising through social media, that sorta stuff is your best bet.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Starting out is always the hardest. You can offer a couple free sessions to get them in the door and show them what you have to offer and in the beginning charge a bit less until you become "known". Biggest thing is develop a "quality" service. This business is mostly word of mouth referrals so the better results you help someone achieve the better your reputation. Too many time I see trainers Just trying to get as many clients as possible and they don't give the attention to all the clients that they deserve.

Also it will depend on if you work for the gym or are an independent contractor. My self, I'm an independent contractor and rent my office at the Lexington Athletic Club. I pay them a flat fee every month and the rest is mine. I also just rented some more space in same gym and opened a Fitness Café serving portioned and balanced natural foods/meals. This started out in my house where my clinets wanted something that tasted great, was healthy and convienient. It grew and now MY wife and I have a café with a website to place orders online, www.fit-fresh-foods.com . Many things can come from this industry.

Becoming a good coach is about developing a good relationship with good communication. I had a seminar discussing what a Coaches job is and is not. The big "C" coaching, as I call it, is really understanding the individual and reading there bio-feedback properly which comes with time and experience.

When you don't know something admit it and refer to someone else. There are so many fake people in the industry and its not getting better. There will always come a point where you are asked something you will not know and just be upfront about it, people like honesty and good morals. Many different points to look at in becoming a coach. Number one is always be willing to learn and don't think there I "one" best way of doing things and your way is the only way. Be able to adapt because each client will be different physiologically and personality wise.

If I can find my notes from the last seminar on Coaching I did I'll send them your way.
    Last edited by Allen Cress; 08-02-2013 at 04:07 AM.