Thread: Sleep position and shoulder health

Sleep position and shoulder health

Am I the only one who suffers from this?

I tend to sleep on my side but if I sleep on one side more dominantly than the other, man it tears them up.

Messes my neck up, collar bone all that stuff.

Keeping up on stretching and rehab can be a real pain.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

You're Being Lied To JohnnyRingo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Am I the only one who suffers from this?

I tend to sleep on my side but if I sleep on one side more dominantly than the other, man it tears them up.

Messes my neck up, collar bone all that stuff.

Keeping up on stretching and rehab can be a real pain.
    I don't bring it up often, because I know the response "stop being a pussy". But you definitely are not alone. I sleep on my stomach and when i fall asleep my arms get under me and I wake up with my arms fully numb and can't even pick them up. I'm pretty sure my rotator cuff problems have come from this too. The only thing that has helped is getting a small pillow or stuffed animal and cuddling with it when I fall asleep. I guess it subconsciously gives me something to do so my arms don't wander.
    Weakest person on the forum, and my bench is higher than my squat.

I feel your pain. If I sleep on my right side I have to wash my hair with just my left arm that morning lol.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

This has always been an issue with me especially after injuring my shoulder. Over the years i've trained myself to sleep on my back, arms at my sides like a corpse pretty much. Every now and then though if I toss and turn i'll end up sleeping on one arm or the other and I always pay for it in the morning.

Dude, I am all over in my sleep. Can't control it. Sleep is probably the most dangerous thing I do to my body.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Do any of you(if you have the time) just lay on the floor on your back for an extended period of time? I try to do this several times a week for 15 minute periods at least. It seems to really help re-set things. I try to sleep on my back in bed too, but it usually doesn't work out.

I know the sleep apnea suffers probably can't sleep on their backs.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

I pretty much have to sleep on my back. My shoulders are big enough now that if I try sleeping on my side, that arm will go numb pretty fast.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Do any of you(if you have the time) just lay on the floor on your back for an extended period of time? I try to do this several times a week for 15 minute periods at least. It seems to really help re-set things. I try to sleep on my back in bed too, but it usually doesn't work out.

I know the sleep apnea suffers probably can't sleep on their backs.
    I lay on the floor in my living room while the kids play weekend mornings. Its great for my back. I love sleeping on my back but the wife kicks me as soon as the snoring starts. Shamefully I roll over like a little bitch every time lol.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    I love sleeping on my back but the wife kicks me as soon as the snoring starts. Shamefully I roll over like a little bitch every time lol.
    I can relate to this.

I used to have pain, I sometimes do now but I think I kind of trained myself to sleep on my side with my shoulder in a better position where it is more pushed back, I know it sounds silly but I usually have my hand on one of the rungs of the headboard and have a small amount of pressure against it.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    I lay on the floor in my living room while the kids play weekend mornings. Its great for my back. I love sleeping on my back but the wife kicks me as soon as the snoring starts. Shamefully I roll over like a little bitch every time lol.
    My wife got real ticked at me one night. Kicked me and told me " You sound like you are sucking in the ceiling!!" hahaha. What can you do. I have a deviated septum as well which doesn't help much.

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I have thoracic outlet syndrome and if I don't sleep on my back with at least my right arm at my side for the majority of the night I'll regret it the entire next day.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

I go from side to side all night with each arm falling asleep as I lay on a given side. Life of a big guy can really suck sometimes .

I've never had any serious discomfort the next day but I can certainly relate to those who say their arm goes numb if they sleep on their side. Happens to me most nights. Started when I got up around 210-215 lbs.

I have actually taken to sleeping in a recliner a few nights a week for this very reason. Works like a.charm.
    Whoever said "Good things come to those who wait" couldn't have amounted to much. If you want it get off your lazy ass and get it!!
    Proudly Sponsored by AtLarge Nutrition

Best raw lifts:
    Squat: 733
    Bench: 512
    Deadlift: 733
    Total:1951