Thread: Food obsessed

Food obsessed

People like to play down how important food is in their life. If I asked you to make a list of 10 things that really matter to you in your life, I doubt food or diet would make the list, but if you are truly being honest with yourself and listed how many times per day you think or worry about it then food/diet would be near the top of that list and for all the wrong reasons.

The French adore and enjoy food, but simply do not obsess over it. And even though they eat a whole lot more “indulgent” food, and smoke far more on a person to person basis, they are in fact far healthier than their North American counterparts. But the fact of the matter is that the way most of you think about diet and nutrition is what is causing the most trouble for you with your diet and nutrition.

It’s like most people want to be sick. They want to be food restricted. This is what they tell themselves. So, when they can find something with completely general and vague symptoms they latch on to it. “I’m gluten intolerant” or “I’m dairy-sensitive”. Most people consider themselves both or consider other food-sensitivities as well. Don’t you know that sweetener you are using causes cancer? And on it goes…

People just don’t get it, but the nutrition and diet industry get it just fine. They want you to be afraid of food. They want you to depend on them for your information for what is ok to eat. But our obsession with Body Image and nutrition, combined with food is a marketer’s paradise. Once you are told you can’t eat a certain thing, that is exactly when “want” kicks in and you can’t seem to go without it. But if you stand back and consider the absurdity of it all does it make any sense?

So, you have gluten-free pasta, gluten-free bread, flour-free bread, cocoa-free chocolate, sugar-free chocolate, dairy-free ice-cream, fat-free ice-cream, sugar-free ice-cream, caffeine-free coffee, sugar-free cookies and candies, fat-free everything, and even meat-free hot dogs and hamburgers.

Don’t get get me started on low carb and low-sodium everything. Can you not see how ridiculous and contradictory it all is?

A lot of the food these days do seem like a giant oxymoron. With that being said, some alternative foods as such listed could be beneficial to those who are truly restricted with their diets. However, I really like the approach of this topic...the psychological side of our diets does not get a lot of attention and I agree with a lot you've said.
    (Raw)
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

You forgot fat free fat. LOL. I love reading your posts Allen.

The whole gluten thing really irritates me. Sorry but 50% of the population is not gluten intolerant. I'd also bet the majority of them don't even know what gluten really is.

You can call me a hippy if you want, but I truly believe the mind is powerful enough to cause physical effects, even to the extent of intolerance/allergy related stuff.
    Last edited by Invain; 08-07-2013 at 07:02 PM.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    The whole gluten thing really irritates me. Sorry but 50% of the population is not gluten intolerant. I'd also bet the majority of them don't even know what gluten really is.
    +1 Last time I checked the majority of the people who seek out the gluten free stuff didn't (and probably never) had any gluten intolerances ever in their life. When I was a wee tot, it was peanut allergies, and you knew who had them and who didn't. At times, I feel people avoid gluten rich foods because "it's trendy".
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Quote Originally Posted by thecityalive View Post
    +1 Last time I checked the majority of the people who seek out the gluten free stuff didn't (and probably never) had any gluten intolerances ever in their life. When I was a wee tot, it was peanut allergies, and you knew who had them and who didn't. At times, I feel people avoid gluten rich foods because "it's trendy".
    Exactly! There is always something trendy going on in this industry and it will run its course as it always does.

Preach, I'm listening.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

You can call me a hippy if you want, but I truly believe the mind is powerful enough to cause physical effects, even to the extent of intolerance/allergy related stuff.
    I wholly agree.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

+2 lol
    (Raw)
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Well fuck me.. I'm gluten free, I occasionally low carb, and I stay away from most proceed food. I must be one lean physiological hot mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bryduck View Post
    Well fuck me.. I'm gluten free, I occasionally low carb, and I stay away from most proceed food. I must be one lean physiological hot mess.
    The post doesn't mean if you are gluten free, low carb, etc...you are in a bad physiological place. You are missing the whole point and context. The biggest issue with all this stuff is psychological and how it makes people afraid of foods and cause even higher stress in their life. This can lead to negative physiological issues as well as food disorders, etc...

Its not always about the physical aspect of everything and that's the problem with this industry all they focus on it how you "look" on the outside and they don't pay attention what is happening mentally and emotionally to people.

Allen, you're missing the point.. I was being facetious!

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bryduck View Post
    Allen, you're missing the point.. I was being facetious!
    My bad, LOL

Meh..I'm constantly thinking about food either as a chef or dieting, lol.

But nice post. America loves excuses.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial