The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Two-a-days

Two-a-days

Bodybuilders,

How many of you currently or have tried two-a-day workouts? Did you see results as far as fat lose and muscle gain? Did you see a changes in your conditioning?

If you do, check out this awesome article by Charles Poliquin.

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Artic...ith_Twice.aspx

Matt

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I did 2-a-days the last 4 weeks before my contest last year and came in fuller and harder. I did NO cardio which helped with the overall look. You just have to make sure your recovering properly and your current lifestyle/job can handle it. I have also done it for 2-4 week periods during the off-season when my schedule would allow. Anymore than that amount of time doing 2-a-days and my recovery starts suffering. You absolutely have to be point on with nutrition.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    I did 2-a-days the last 4 weeks before my contest last year and came in fuller and harder. I did NO cardio which helped with the overall look. You just have to make sure your recovering properly and your current lifestyle/job can handle it. I have also done it for 2-4 week periods during the off-season when my schedule would allow. Anymore than that amount of time doing 2-a-days and my recovery starts suffering. You absolutely have to be point on with nutrition.
    I've noticed John Meadows did no cardio for his latest show, instead he was training 7 days a week. I know he also has other clients do the same thing, pretty sure Santana Anderson was doing no cardio and training 7 days a week leading up to Tampa.

Allen when you are training twice a day, are the sessions shorter, and are you still training the same total number of days per week?
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Obviously not a body builder but I often train twice a day.

Max effort bench days are brutal. Both sessions are hour and a half plus. Took my body a solid 2 months to adjust to that type of abuse.

Dynamic effort days I didn't see much of a benefit from training twice a day so I dropped it back to once.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    I've noticed John Meadows did no cardio for his latest show, instead he was training 7 days a week. I know he also has other clients do the same thing, pretty sure Santana Anderson was doing no cardio and training 7 days a week leading up to Tampa.

Allen when you are training twice a day, are the sessions shorter, and are you still training the same total number of days per week?
    The sessions aren't really shorter, maybe 10-15 min. I listen to my body and at most would not do more than 5 days in a row before taking a whole day off. You really have to know your body or have a qualified coach you are reporting to.

The more frequent training is a part of why John or some of his clients don't do cardio, but a big reason is staying in shape and not gaining to much body fat in the off season. Your body works much more efficiently at losing fat and holding onto muscle when you stay in shape because it doesn't have to work as hard to get lean.

I'm curious what your split would look like training twice a day, 5 days a week. You must have been hitting most muscle groups 2 - 3 times a week?

I have a lot of experience under my belt, and am to the point where I'm wondering if I can handle a little more frequency on certain lifts/muscle groups. The other reason is that I absolutely hate cardio, but I'd like to add in a little bit more exercise of some form to help with my current cut.

What are your thoughts on hitting lagging muscle groups up to 3 times a week? I squat heavy twice a week, and most weeks I bench heavy twice a week as well and I've been making pretty good progress so far. I'm talking back squatting 500+ pounds on Tuesday, and then front squatting 400+ pounds on Saturday and still hitting PR's every time I walk into the gym. My arms still lag behind everything else, and since they're such a small muscle group I'm wondering if I could add in an extra "arm day". I'm to the point now where smaller muscle groups like my arms almost literally never get sore, and I've never really run into "overtraining" issues hitting them twice a week.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    I'm curious what your split would look like training twice a day, 5 days a week. You must have been hitting most muscle groups 2 - 3 times a week?

I have a lot of experience under my belt, and am to the point where I'm wondering if I can handle a little more frequency on certain lifts/muscle groups. The other reason is that I absolutely hate cardio, but I'd like to add in a little bit more exercise of some form to help with my current cut.

What are your thoughts on hitting lagging muscle groups up to 3 times a week? I squat heavy twice a week, and most weeks I bench heavy twice a week as well and I've been making pretty good progress so far. I'm talking back squatting 500+ pounds on Tuesday, and then front squatting 400+ pounds on Saturday and still hitting PR's every time I walk into the gym. My arms still lag behind everything else, and since they're such a small muscle group I'm wondering if I could add in an extra "arm day". I'm to the point now where smaller muscle groups like my arms almost literally never get sore, and I've never really run into "overtraining" issues hitting them twice a week.
    Overtraining is harder than most think, its more common for someone not to be recovering because of lack of proper nutrition and rest to go a long with the added frequency. Also you have to take into account that when training mainly for hypertrophy the recovery is different than when you are training for strength. With strength its more CNS based, not so much muscle tissue break down and repair.

If you truly want to bring up the size of your arms then training them every 4-5 days is fine, but also you have to focus mainly on full contractions, tempos, and isolating them as much as possible so you don't beat up your elbows. Get as much blood in them as possible during training. Back off trying to set PRs for 3-4 weeks and give a bit more attention to your arms.

I'm a huge fan of supersets and giant sets for arms. You can superset the same muscle (biceps) or the antagonist (biceps with triceps). For giant sets do the same muscle for 4-7 exercises varying tempo and plane of motion and do 3-4 rotations depending on recovery. There are different ways to set this up depending on what the rest of your program looks like. Remember when it comes to program design its the context of the whole program, not just 1 or 2 days.

This week for me will look something like this.

Mon: Quads am/ shoulders pm
    Tues: Hamstrings am
    Wed: Heavy back am/ hypertrophy back pm
    Thurs Chest am/ Arms pm
    Friday:Shoulders am
    Saturday: Quads am/ Hamstrings pm
    Sunday: Arms am

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bryduck View Post
    This week for me will look something like this.

Mon: Quads am/ shoulders pm
    Tues: Hamstrings am
    Wed: Heavy back am/ hypertrophy back pm
    Thurs Chest am/ Arms pm
    Friday:Shoulders am
    Saturday: Quads am/ Hamstrings pm
    Sunday: Arms am
    I like the split. Are you doing hypertrophy based work each time for all bodyparts, doing strength/explosive work then hypertrophy, or just varying things like tempo and intensity techniques? I assume your workout last no longer than 60 min?

All hypertrophy based except on the heavy back session. I really don't have set reps or rep schemes (I usually have a number in my head and keep going till I hit that number with as short of rest periods as possible), if I feel it I just keep going till I can't contract the muscle I'm training. This is what I did for my quads and I have 28.5-29 inch quads. I've notice a lot more growth in lagging body parts with this method and my training frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bryduck View Post
    All hypertrophy based except on the heavy back session. I really don't have set reps or rep schemes (I usually have a number in my head and keep going till I hit that number with as short of rest periods as possible), if I feel it I just keep going till I can't contract the muscle I'm training. This is what I did for my quads and I have 28.5-29 inch quads. I've notice a lot more growth in lagging body parts with this method and my training frequency.
    Good approach, especially for growth. How long can you keep this split up roughly before you need a day off?

I have the two-a-day training sessions for two to three weeks before I take a recover week. During the recovery week I train, but I pick two opposing body parts 8 sets 3-5 reps. Also, the recovery week focus is to recover the adrenal and most of all being at a low stress levels.