Thread: How many train off a competition bench?

How many train off a competition bench?

There is a huge variety in benches seems like when it comes to competitions and I feel like it makes a pretty significant difference.

The padding material, the covering, height off the floor (which should be standard in my opinion) as well as recently the width of the pad.

Now, most of the meets I do use a Forza or similar so I had a bench made that is pretty much a forza except it's a walkthrough bench and has band pegs for added training versatility.

And obviously at Westside we have several forzas so the change to a meet situation isn't all that drastic.

However it wasn't always that way for me in years past when training. I'd train off of benches that were too narrow, too short, too tall, very slippery, whatever.

I guess at the time I felt like it wasn't a big deal. Because I'd go to meets and the bench would feel fantastic and my performance would reflect that. That said, I wondered if the opposite were true, that training off of lesser quality benches was really effecting my ability to train optimally?

I'm not talking about a forza vs a spf bench (same thing really) or even a metal militia bench vs forza. I'm talking about crappy commercial gym stuff where the measurements are way off.

I would assume the difference would be even greater for those of you who compete in the USAPL. Those ER racks are really not bench friendly (least in my opinion) with how thin the pad is and the covering material.

So what do you think, does using lower quality equipment (equipment less than meet quality) help you train or does it confuse and inhibit optimal training?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I think as long as you have access to comp standard benches, lifting on substandard benches is great. It makes me really appreciate a good bench.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I've never trained and still don't train on competition style benches. When I trained in a shirt, it was very hard for me to touch. Mainly because I would slide down and flatten out...bad! Then I would go to a meet and touch no problem. Since I've been raw, I really haven't noticed much of a difference.

Since I train at home most of the time, I don't have space for a comp bench, so I train in the rack. Does anybody know a good comp bench I can inside my rack?
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Ill never not use one again. I always hated the YMCA type hammer strength crap. I though they were just a accident waiting to happen. When I tore my shoulder up on one it just proved me right. Only screws with vacations and stuff. I just plan them as deload weeks now.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    Ill never not use one again. I always hated the YMCA type hammer strength crap. I though they were just a accident waiting to happen. When I tore my shoulder up on one it just proved me right. Only screws with vacations and stuff. I just plan them as deload weeks now.
    Amen. At the other gym i train at we didnt have a good competition bench, or at least pad. Now i always train on a comp SPF bench and its great.
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    I think as long as you have access to comp standard benches, lifting on substandard benches is great. It makes me really appreciate a good bench.
    That's what had me thinking. Does training on a sub standard bench help you hit bigger PRs because it's an added ace card to flip on meet day, or does it simply create bad habits and hold you back?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Travis, I felt like it helped me hit PR's.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

I have a forza and an in-shape bench. The in-shape pad is similar to the ER rack pad. I definitely prefer the forza, but it's nice to have one similar to the ER rack if a meet will have it.

I benched on a bench with the Donnie Thompson pad once. That thing is ~5" thick and makes the bench a lot higher. It's also wider. It messed with a lot of people's setup if you weren't used to it.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Yeah I hate the ER pads.

But I guess you have to adjust when a meet calls for one.

Very few gyms have the actual ER rack. I managed a gym for awhile that had one. Took like 3 months to get here from time of the order. Those things are almost the price of a monolift lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hopper View Post
    I've never trained and still don't train on competition style benches. When I trained in a shirt, it was very hard for me to touch. Mainly because I would slide down and flatten out...bad! Then I would go to a meet and touch no problem. Since I've been raw, I really haven't noticed much of a difference.

Since I train at home most of the time, I don't have space for a comp bench, so I train in the rack. Does anybody know a good comp bench I can inside my rack?
    I know how to make a good replica that could fit if you have the tools to do it. We can talk about it if you do and want to.

And I would always use a competition bench if available. Most of the time I do, or one very similar. Most important to me is the pad being wide enough. I don't really care about anything else, but the pad definitely helps so my shoulders feel better when benching heavy.
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

Wannabebig Member
    The bench I've enjoyed using the most so far is an ER Rack attachment. I'm guessing you were suggesting it was too thin by width? I can see that, some of the other benches I've been on were really wide, but I'm only a 242 so it doesn't bother me. I can see a SHW having issues on an ER Rack. I personally never liked how padded and wide the benches that were solely used for benching were (eg Forza)

I have to use a crappy gym bench that is slippery, too short, and the J cups are too tall. It does bother me but I get over it, I'm guessing that it would be harder for someone to go from crap-> Forza than crap-> ER because ER is closer to a regular gym bench (except grippier) in the first place

I could probably get used to the thickness of the padding, although I prefer deeper padding, but the covering on the ER racks makes it super difficult to dig your shoulders into without slipping.

the vinyl they use on some of the forzas or the metal militia benches is outstanding in comparison.

Travis, do you know what kind of vinyl they use?
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

I believe it's the same stuff they use on snowmobile seats

Training on sub par benches can lead to some bad habits for sure. We train on shit benches unforunately and i always have a hard time getting set up properly when shirting with heavier sets. With it being too low, its hard to get decent leg drive with tucked feet and an arch. Our team is pretty much exclusive to the RPS and Gene's bench is perfect. Being used to it, I can get right on it and get a nice tight setup and smoke my training attempts because of it.
    As far as judging training off of comp numbers, i usually lower the bench numbers a bit because of the difference in training/meet numbers.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

I prefer the rack for benching but now that I have access to an ER rack/bench i might use it 1 once or twice a month to get use to the thin pad since the rack one got the same dimensions of a Forza pad.
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    That's what had me thinking. Does training on a sub standard bench help you hit bigger PRs because it's an added ace card to flip on meet day, or does it simply create bad habits and hold you back?
    This question needs to go on a poll on all powerlifting forums...
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

I train on an elite bench with a fat pad and definitely notice the difference when I have to use a shitty globo gym bench. I'm curious if you think using a bench that is less ideal for competition is good for improving weakness (Kind of like not wearing the belt while squatting), or if you think it's just dangerous While training with maximal weights?
    Whoever said "Good things come to those who wait" couldn't have amounted to much. If you want it get off your lazy ass and get it!!
    Proudly Sponsored by AtLarge Nutrition

Best raw lifts:
    Squat: 733
    Bench: 512
    Deadlift: 733
    Total:1951