Thread: A Couple of Questions on Speed Work w/Video

A Couple of Questions on Speed Work w/Video

It's been a while since I have done traditional speed work. The percentages were much higher with Josh so it got a little difficult to really judge speed. How does the speed look in the video?

Plus, I am not sticking to 8-10 sets of the same weight. I am shooting for around 8 sets of 50% and above using accommodating resistance (so any set at approx 300 w/band tension or chains counts as a work set). Being back in the shirt I am trying to train instinctively because of the additional stress on my body from the heavy equipped numbers.

I did a lot of waving of speed numbers when I hit my first 600 raw. I like being a little more flexible with speed numbers versus locking myself in regardless of how I feel. Has anyone else played with this idea or have any thoughts?

Last edited by vdizenzo; 08-13-2013 at 08:39 AM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I tend to lock into waving the tension, but I don't lock myself into the bar weight. I do that by feel.

Occasionally you'll know you've been taking it easy too many weeks in a row and need to push yourself regardless of how you feel.

One of the things that really helped me was doing my speed work with a football bar. Really the elbow position translates well to my equipped form.

Speed looks pretty good in the video. Might be slightly (just a little bit) slow for you, but for the majority of the crowd that's pretty darn good.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig Member
    So do you guys more use a percentage weight to gauge your speed work or purely rely on speed of the bar. I ask because I have always been a decently strong but very slow lifter. My raw bench is around 415, but trying to do speed work with 245 (60%) + minis was not really that fast at all. Should I lower the weight until the speed improves or focus on just trying to get faster with the 60% weight? Any suggestions from anyone is appreciated.

Sorry for the hijack Vincent, but I was seriously going to post this question and thought I could just piggyback off you.

aj I would definitely lower the weight. My best raw bench is 580 and I use around 255 and minis

Bar speed should be the focus. You'll find that if you start off with light weight, you'll eventually be able to challenge yourself and increase your speed to a degree and end up using more weight.

However if you start off using heavy weight you're speed will remain the same.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks Travis. That was very helpful.

Thx Trav. Yeah, I know my speed looks different that others. That's where I get a hard time judging. Just because something doesn't feel heavy does not mean it's fast. Maybe I'll alternate a few sets of 275 and 315 w/the short mini to compare.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I agree with Travis. A touch slow for you. I always struggled with speed work and shirted benching though. I was always afraid it would alter my shirted groove so I stayed away from them.

I may be wrong but I'm curious what others think on that.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Scott, I often struggled with that.

One of the changes I made when I hit 850 was doing my speed work with a football bar. It forces me to keep my upper back and elbows in a similar position as when Im in a shirt.

Wannabebig Member
    Try speed off the floor. Like a fighter rhrowing quick jabs. Moderate lower and then explode. Unlike a lot of other styles you do have to have a split second pause at top and bottom of the lift. I think Vin that in the vid,your usual strength( explosiveness/ speed) is working againt you here. With the floor press for speed you will have ti be more deliberate and thereby have a better gauge of how its working for you