Thread: Weak points

Hybrid View

Weak points

Bodybuilders,

What muscle group or groups do you have as a weak point in you physique? What are you doing to correct these problem areas? My thoughts are, maybe we can help remedy the situation and improve them.

Matt

For me, lats. I thought that doing assisted chins (Which is what I do for my back on fullbody workout 2x per week) would be hitting them, but I feel nothing and see no growth. I do rows as well (1x per week) so I switch that for pull downs just to see if over time I could see a difference (Might be the wrong way to approach this) but got sick before I could see anything happen. Back in the gym for the first time today.
    Ban Censors Donít Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

Quote Originally Posted by synonymous View Post
    For me, lats. I thought that doing assisted chins (Which is what I do for my back on fullbody workout 2x per week) would be hitting them, but I feel nothing and see no growth. I do rows as well (1x per week) so I switch that for pull downs just to see if over time I could see a difference (Might be the wrong way to approach this) but got sick before I could see anything happen. Back in the gym for the first time today.
    Its not just about the exercise choice but "how" you perform the exercise to get the most out of it and also hitting it from different angles. Learn how to properly activate the lats then gradually add load when/if needed. The most common thing I see when it comes to lack of development is improper technique and focusing to much on the amount of weight being used.

I actually brought this issue up in another thread. I have to get a video of me performing my back exercises to see if I'm doing it properly.

Well maybe Allen or I can answer questions in the form of a video demonstration... Allen, what do you think?

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bryduck View Post
    Well maybe Allen or I can answer questions in the form of a video demonstration... Allen, what do you think?

Matt
    That would be awesome, if you guys had the time. But I'll do my best to get a camera into my gym...rules about cameras mean I gotta figure out a time when nobody is around.

Matt
    Sounds like a plan

What exercise would you like explained?

What exercise would you like explained?
    Pull down.

The Gold's Gym trainer says I'm not using my lats during the pull down nearly as much as most people. He demonstrated his lat movement, arm in the air, moving it up and down with his lats. I had almost no movement trying to complete the same motion. Or if I did think I was moving it, he said it was my shoulder doing the moving.

And, cable row/machine row/assisted chin...these are my go to back exercises right now. I'm assuming I'm doing them properly, but you never know.

And I appreciate that you guys have your regular life to attend to so thanks and no worries about time. I still need to get a video done of me doing these.

ETA: Just saw the Bpak post on back training. Might have solved that one.
    Last edited by synonymous; 08-17-2013 at 07:24 AM.

You might need to increase the range of motion of your scapula. I retract my scapula before doing any back movement whether it be pullups, pull downs, rows, and deadlifts.

You want to build a big back? I would perfect strict pullups, dumbbell rows, barbell rows, and deadlifts where you able to keep continuous tension on your back.