The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Question regarding running and weight training.

Hey. I'm getting back into weight training and hopefully I can stick to my goals this time, which are pretty simple: lose fat, gain muscle, and have a nice looking physique. I'm about 5'11", 200 pounds, but I have a pot belly. So I want to change things. I've been doing some research on how to gain muscle via weight training and how to eat better with nutrition.

However I've also come across the realization that at some point I'll need to incorporate cardio into my workouts. I usually go to the gym three times a week. And recently I've been doing a little bit of running before my workouts on the treadmills. For about ten minutes. I've heard this might not be a great approach though because it really makes weight training a lot harder. So it's better to do your cardio afterward. I'd like to continue running though and more and more into it as that is probably my favorite form of cardio. I'm not sure how much I should do though and at what pace since I really also don't want to offset my strength and muscle gains by doing too much cardio and burning too many calories. Every treadmill machine is different of course with different programs to incorporate for the user.

I'm essentially looking for the best, simple way of incorporating running for my weight lifting program without hindering my progress too much. Any suggestions for what I should do?
    "Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
    決してあなたの夢への信頼を失う。生き残る。

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Why don't decrease the rest periods in your workout. I would do this before adding any form of cardio. If I were to recommend any cardio it would be high intensity interval training in the form of sprint intervals of some sort.

What's the purpose of the cardio? To prevent fat gain, or for overall health?
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

If your main goals is basically physique transformation then cardio should not be in the picture, especially from the start. You can manipulate training frequency, diet, use incomplete recovery between sets, do complexes, etc... These are much more effective for long term results. Remember the more traditional cardio you do the more efficient your body becomes at using fuel for it, which means you just have to go longer and longer for the same effect. It doesn't do anything but burn calories and doesn't have a metabolic payoff.

Well...I still want to be able to do cardio activities. Like being able to walk up a flight of stairs without huffing and puffing. Or just being able to run without getting fatigued. We have a few marathons in the bay area here that I would like to participate in at some point maybe. I'm not looking to be a hardcore runner or anything, I just want to be able to have enough stamina to run for long distances.
    "Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
    決してあなたの夢への信頼を失う。生き残る。

You can actually build more stamina from hiit than any steady start cardio and also can raise your metabolism for a period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ness View Post
    Well...I still want to be able to do cardio activities. Like being able to walk up a flight of stairs without huffing and puffing. Or just being able to run without getting fatigued. We have a few marathons in the bay area here that I would like to participate in at some point maybe. I'm not looking to be a hardcore runner or anything, I just want to be able to have enough stamina to run for long distances.
    I would stick to SLOW steady state cardio as opposed to intervals- steady state is far less metabolically taxing and easier to compensate for, calorically. I do have a few articles out on the topic, let me know if you're interested and I'll send you the links.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I would encourage cardio unless you're some type of professional lifter and I'm sure thatís not the case. Also the treadmill really isn't running. You will be amazed at people who can run all day on the treadmill but can't last 15 minutes running outside. Don't get me wrong if you are vastly out of shape the treadmills a great start but its like bench pressing on a machine instead of a barbell, same kind of movement but not close to the same results.

Cardio is very important especially as you get older. Some guys can get away with just lifting and never have any health issues but I find it pointless in being able to bench press a house but you can't run a mile. Again, if you're a professional bodybuilder/power lifter my advice doesn't apply to you.
    Last edited by blackboard; 08-19-2013 at 03:09 PM.