Thread: Using Overload Negatives for Bench Training

Using Overload Negatives for Bench Training

Had a couple questions today asking my opinion on this so I figured I'd post it up here and see what you all think.

The question was in reference to super max weights being used for negatives in hopes that it would create more time under tension.

Thoughts?

I'll post my opinion later

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Seems like it would aid to more hypertrophy than it would anything more explosive strength. Perhaps more to get your CNS attuned to the heavier load - but perhaps I am way off.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

i think there would be a greater risk of injury with that method imo. but i did read somewhere that with squats, walking out 10-20% above their max, to get used to heavier weights... interested to hear more about this
    last meet, GPC, Irish Open: 03/11/2012
    @ 82.5kg/ 181 junior raw
    S: 192.5kg/424
    B: 130 kg/286
    D: 225kg/495
    best gym lifts:
    S: 182.5kg/400
    B: 135 kg/300
    D: 220 kg/485

im trying to crack the 400 lb raw bench barrier. Id imagine doin heavy negatives with 425 or so, would be a TERRIBLE idea. Im interested to hear if anyone actually does that.

Overloading with accomidating resistance or boards I do though.

I feel like youd get the most benefit from just having a lift off and holding the weight at arms length, maybe very slightly bent armed etc so the weight would be on your muscles a little more than it would be if you just kept your joints locked.

I would rather lower the weights I already use under control than try to lower excessively heavy ones to get used to it, seems more dangerous to me than beneficial. but id guess it depends on who you are and how you feel etc

nick winters would do something similar to this in a program I saw he was using
    Last edited by Leeman; 08-21-2013 at 08:36 AM.
    YOU CANT BUY STRENGTH

Wannabebig Member
    Imo- there is many other things you can do instead. If you want time under tension do a double or triple. Or what we like to do is hold every rep at the top for 1 count, last rep for 3 count. I dont think the return is worth the risk with these, especially when you consider most injuries happen during the eccentric ( lengthing or lowering phase) . Thumbs down

my take on it is pretty much what Chuck said. Negatives are a bad idea for powerlifting. They don't increase speed at all and are more likely to make you slower.

There is a point of diminishing returns on the whole time under tension thing. Too much and you will start breaking down the connective tissues at your joints.

Honestly I don't see a whole lot of application to negatives for powerlifting.

For overload work using reverse bands is great or boards.

I've done static holds before (taking weight out and just holding it) and I really never got much out of it other than being sore.

When lowering weights (especially raw) there is a really fine line between lowering it too fast and not fast enough. You want to come down fast enough that it builds up the stretch reflex as well as doesn't waste energy, but if you come down too fast it'll cause you to lose all tension in your body and setup, giving you nothing to push against at the press.

Negatives just kinda hurt both those issues by teaching you to lower weights slower as well as wasting energy.

I've missed weights in the gym that I brought down far too slow, turned around and smashed them by bringing it down at the right speed - yes raw. Obviously the speed thing is a little different equipped.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

What about weight releasers. More harm then good with too much on the releaser? Is it just a glorifide negative after a certain weight? We have been using them lately. Any one have a ideal weights for them for speed work?
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

As in using weight releasers for overload? I've never done it but if we are talking about someone who's max is say 400 and adding 40lbs in weight releasers I'm not sure would achieve anything different than normal negatives

I really liked using weight releasers for helping get used to moving max weights quickly. So say for the same person who's max is 400, using 360 and adding 40lbs in weight releasers. Weight comes down the same speed but you get the advantage of training yourself to move that weight faster.

The fundamental problem with weight releasers is that they are a pain in the neck to setup and rotate between training partners.

Wannabebig Member
    I think Travis has hit on one of the most important aspects of benchpressing- timing. I think it' s the cause of more missed lifts/ training problems is coordinating one' s optimal timing for lowering raising the bar both raw and shirted. This is another reason Im against negatives, as they reenforce bad habits

I think it's a terrible idea for powerlifting. The last thing you need is increased risk of injury.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

I think doing a negative is very similar to missing a lift. Missing a lift is far more taxing than making it. Why do something that's more taxing unless you get a superior benefit?
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Very good point Marcus. I'm twice as sore from meets where I've missed a lift as opposed to times when you hit all attempts

I think the technical name for overloading negatives is a miss.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo