Thread: training and age

Hybrid View

training and age

hi, i am 35 now , i feel my joints sometimes and tendons hurts , it begins ;-) . so when i am getting older how should i train ? is the westside barbell training good til the end ? or kills it my joints more and more if i train and compete raw ? is it smarter to go on a program like 531 where i don't go to the max every week ? i also have a job (stonemason) where i must lift heavy sometimes and my hips , knees and back are working hard ..

which trainingstyle is better , is the conjugate method ideal because of strengthing the tendons , or is there a faster ruin of my joints ?

i mean specially the squat / deadlift training .
    Last edited by xolix; 08-23-2013 at 08:10 AM.

I'm close to 40 and have been training harder than ever the past few years. (I've been consistently training for 28 years too.) Recently, I adopted a lot of Westside principles in my training and have been making progress (at a lower bodyweight) and have felt better all-around. I have issues with my elbow, forearm and both knees, as a point-of-reference. I do squat in loose briefs year-round, which I think helps keep me "healthy."

The one thing I try not to think about is "getting older." The one thing I do think about is training correctly, and efficiently. I've had some recent injuries, but many of them have to do with another hobby: bending steel, and not powerlifting. I won't look at age as a limiting factor, just as a reminder to train smarter.
    (SQ) 550 (BP) 425 (DL) 550
    5'9" 195lbs.

2014 Goals: 365 raw bench; Triple bodyweight deadlift; 1500 meet total @ 198

YouTube -- http://www.youtube.com/user/CarlDonatiJr?feature=mhee
    Journal -- http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-Get-Stronger!

I'm 36. I've had periods where I train raw for months or mostly in gear. I find raw lifting much harder on muscle recovery and geared lifting worse for CNS and joint recovery. Mixing raw and geared seems to work the best.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    I'm 36. I've had periods where I train raw for months or mostly in gear. I find raw lifting much harder on muscle recovery and geared lifting worse for CNS and joint recovery. Mixing raw and geared seems to work the best.
    For me, raw work hurts the tendons over time. Single ply is about right, and two plyl just beats the crap out of my joints.

Mixing it up seems to work best though.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

Focusing on recovery and being smart/instinctive with your training will go a long way.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo