The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Crossfit or not to Crossfit

I've been intrigued by Crossfit for several years, but could never afford the cost. I like the idea of the shorter workouts, 1 hour or less. I've tried to do research and there are pros and cons. I would like to hear from anyone who was a power lifter, bodybuilder or just a weightlifter who has tried Crossfit. Is it worth the hype and the monetary cost?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Crossfit utilizes a lot of good training ideas but because there are so many boxes out there programs can vary significantly. Some are just metcon mills, whereas other programs can be really balanced.

To me the best ones, have a solid strength program blended in with metcons and endurance work. They don't burn you into the ground every day. Also, the good programs have coaches who will adjust the WODs to your needs beyond simple scaling.

CF Mainsite is a good place to get the flavor of CF metcons, but to the best of my knowledge most competitive CF Athletes work a lot of strength work with metcons added in.

With that, I'll say good boxes are worth the price especially if you don't have good gymnastic or olympic lifting skills. So I'd look at the coaches bios in your area, call and ask how they teach the oly lifts. Ask how they program strength.

If you want just general fitness, then just the short metcons may be adequate. But if your really want to build strength and superior fitness you'll probably need more.

I think the other big benefit is having a community behind you. Due to work, I lift either alone or at times when he can with my brother. I think having a box behind you would really push you. No one outlifts me when I train alone, and when I make a 5lb PR its great. But, I wonder how much faster I'd progress when my peers are beating me by 10lbs or doing Fran 10 seconds faster.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    I give crossfit two thumbs up.

However, there a plenty of shitty boxes out there so do your research and find a good one.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

I would make sure the gym you go to or you follow has a clue about programming!

Wannabebig Member
    I think the group setting in a box would work great for me. I try to do cf type workouts in my base gym, but find it difficult due to people hanging out in certain areas. I go there with a plan, but I always have to change it up or end up waiting to use the deadlier area or pull-up bars, etc.

If your goal is to get into great overall shape then I absolutely recommend it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

What are your goals? If they are to put on mass or build strength then I suggest you look elsewhere. If it is overall fitness then it should work well for you. I did it for a while and really enjoyed the Olympic lifting and playing around with bumpers but I got tired of the programming at the box I went to as they didn't match my goals.
    6'1", 215lbs

Deadlift - 475, Front Squat - 320, Back Squat - 405