Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: ME Rotations

  1. #1
    Senior Member Paulo_Santos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    327

    ME Rotations

    I've been rotating 8 exercises for my upper and lower body days, but I was wondering if there are any negatives with just rotating bench press and press on upper body days and back squats and Deadlifts on lower body days? I was thinking about just doing this for 8 weeks to see if it works or if I stall. The only reason I want to try this is because I really like doing those lifts the most and I read somewhere that for raw lifters, it is better to keep the rotations down to a few exercises.

    Thanks in advance for your help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    301
    I think this depends on how advanced you are to your body. If you are a beginner (an I know you are not), then every other week would work well. The more advanced the tougher it is to pursue lifts directly in a linear fashion.

    I think this is where programs like 5/3/1 keep the linear model but prevent the overkill/stagnation by changing the rep ranges or intensity of load without changing the exercise.

    This past summer (Chris might bludgeon me for this and Jim Wendler might scoff), on my ME days, I've been doing a 5/3/1 variant:

    Week 1: Bench and Squats 5's
    Week 2: Press and Deadlifts 5's
    Week 3: Bench and Squats 3's
    Week 4: Press and Deadlifts 3's
    Week 5: Bench and Squats up to a 5/3/1 single
    Week 6: Press and Deadlifts up to a 5/3/1 single.
    Week 7: Restart or Deload based on how I feel.

    I still do DE work per Westside models. And on days I'm feeling good on the ME days, I'll do 1-2 heavy singles after the 5/3/1 work. I follow Westside like assistance work.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Paulo_Santos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by RFabsik View Post
    I think this depends on how advanced you are to your body. If you are a beginner (an I know you are not), then every other week would work well. The more advanced the tougher it is to pursue lifts directly in a linear fashion.

    I think this is where programs like 5/3/1 keep the linear model but prevent the overkill/stagnation by changing the rep ranges or intensity of load without changing the exercise.

    This past summer (Chris might bludgeon me for this and Jim Wendler might scoff), on my ME days, I've been doing a 5/3/1 variant:

    Week 1: Bench and Squats 5's
    Week 2: Press and Deadlifts 5's
    Week 3: Bench and Squats 3's
    Week 4: Press and Deadlifts 3's
    Week 5: Bench and Squats up to a 5/3/1 single
    Week 6: Press and Deadlifts up to a 5/3/1 single.
    Week 7: Restart or Deload based on how I feel.

    I still do DE work per Westside models. And on days I'm feeling good on the ME days, I'll do 1-2 heavy singles after the 5/3/1 work. I follow Westside like assistance work.
    Something like that, except I would be maxing out. I'm going to give it a try for 8 weeks and see how I feel.

  4. #4
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,674
    8 is too many in my book and 2 is too few. I would go with 3-4 exercises and rotate them weekly. There is no harm in doing an exercise a couple of sessions in a row if you get the bug.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  5. #5
    Super Moderator vdizenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,376
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    8 is too many in my book and 2 is too few. I would go with 3-4 exercises and rotate them weekly. There is no harm in doing an exercise a couple of sessions in a row if you get the bug.
    Agreed


    Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

    My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

    "The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    12,251
    We use 4 on the bench and 4 on the squat. 1 of those bench days is shirt. closer to the meet this changes as your in the gear more.
    2000 or bust

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,016
    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Agreed
    Double agree
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

    Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

    Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

  8. #8
    Senior Member Invain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,972
    I don't like constantly rotation shit too often. I'll work on the same ME movement for 2 or 3 weeks; sometimes a little longer if I'm trying to bring up a weakness. I think some guys put too much of an emphasis on constantly doing something different and neglect working on the actual 'main' lift.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

  9. #9
    Senior Member Paulo_Santos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    I don't like constantly rotation shit too often. I'll work on the same ME movement for 2 or 3 weeks; sometimes a little longer if I'm trying to bring up a weakness. I think some guys put too much of an emphasis on constantly doing something different and neglect working on the actual 'main' lift.
    I'm going to try this for about 8 weeks and see how it works.

Similar Threads

  1. external rotations
    By alert20 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-07-2010, 07:02 AM
  2. external rotations
    By thomas89 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2008, 03:44 PM
  3. Cuban Rotations?
    By Talking_God in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-30-2007, 04:49 PM
  4. Cuban Rotations
    By Sampson777 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-10-2006, 04:09 PM
  5. Shoulder Rotations
    By Dedicated in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-13-2003, 08:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •