Thread: I got a treatment for my shoulder. How do I rehab?

I got a treatment for my shoulder. How do I rehab?

I've had an injury of the left shoulder for months which got worse from me training on it.

Went to see a doctor about 2 weeks ago, said the injury wasn't too severe and gave me some sort of injection, possibly cortisone but I didn't ask.

I did a second sesh a week later and got another injection. The doctor said that I just have to keep icing it for a few days and it should get better.

So now the shoulder is alot better, but still not 100%. Since my muscles there have been wasting away for 7 months I suppose that I need some form of rehab to bring it back to health.

Currently, my left shoulder feels good with pain only coming when I reach fully overhead. I also have slightly less mobility in it than my right shoulder.

Do I need to rehab this shoulder? What light excercises could I do to get it back into shape? I guess the best thing to do to work the shoulder would be HEAVY overhead press(I'm joking)

Edit: I don't have any serious equipment to work with, just some light dumbells and some metallic thing which is meant to replicate a band(albeit with way more resistance).
    Last edited by KJDANEXT0; 09-10-2013 at 11:56 AM.
    The only lift I'm proud of at this point is a close stance, ass to grass zercher squat of 170kg x2 at 85kg bw. If only they held zercher squat competitions...

I would probably work on band dislocates, band pull aparts, wall slides, front-side-rear laterals, DB overhead presses and alot of rotator cuff movements. Maybe use light weights for higher reps and then build up from there.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Have you taken off at all? I tore my shoulder up and was hell bent on pushing on. I did this for 2 months and nothing changed. I then took off until it didn't hurt to wash my hair. That took 7 weeks. I wish I didn't waste those 2 months not resting. Rest first rehab later.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

@Brian

Ok. One question though.

When doing these movements you've recommended how would I gauge how my workouts are going? I know that I shouldn't be feeling pain while doing this, but should my muscles feel a little worked and tired or not? I have absolutely no idea.

@Scott

Honestly its only been about 3 weeks since the BEGINNING of my injections, so I do think that I'll need more time to rest. The pain that I described when reaching overhead in the first post is now gone, and that's after just resting for a few days.

The last thing I want is to re-injure this shoulder, which would be a waste of time, money and muscle mass(which I'm lacking right now)
    The only lift I'm proud of at this point is a close stance, ass to grass zercher squat of 170kg x2 at 85kg bw. If only they held zercher squat competitions...