Thread: I need more energy!

I need more energy!

I work out 3x a week in the morning at a CF gym. I have lost weight (240 to 207), gotten stronger, and lowered my ridiculous blood pressure, but after 5 months I find I am still not completing WODs as quickly as I think I should be. My diet is Paleo-influenced and fairly clean.

On WODs that involve heavier weights or that are less than 10 minutes I usually do pretty well but 15+ minute workouts usually mean I have one of the worst completion times.

Anyone have any ideas on getting my energy up (eat pre-workout? how much? timing? supplements?) and also just increasing my general conditioning?

Also this is unrelated but does anyone else only see one single thread here in the CF thread? I have to go down to the Thread Display section and set it to display all threads to be able to see any thread other than Paulo_Santos's "so you want to..." thread.

If you are gassing after 10 minutes, then it is very likely your cardio/endurance. Also make sure you are getting enough carbs and good sleep. And, yes, I only see my thread.
    Last edited by Paulo_Santos; 09-25-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Anything specific I can do to specifically target increasing my endurance during metcons? Is the answer just "do more metcons"? I have improved my running by quite a bit, but I don't feel like that transfers over much. I can go run a 5k or whatever no problem, and as I said the shorter sprint workouts like Grace aren't too bad for me.

Is there a timing component to carbs? I have been reading some about pre-workout nutrition. Because I am trying to lose weight I have been either not eating or barely eating pre-workout. At most a banana or apple in the car on the way to the gym, usually nothing. I am also keeping carbs low in my diet in general.

I changed the setting in User CP to always show all threads and now I can see them all. What a weird default setting, no wonder all the threads have so few replies.

You might want to try and eat more carbs pre-workout for added energy. How about a small sweet potato, or some oatmmeal?

I did a pre-workout shake and added some dextrose this morning. The increase in energy was significant. Alinshop you were right on the money with the carbs suggestion.

I usually have a banana pre-workout and it gives me enough energy. You may also want to have carbs the night before.

You have to give us a better idea of what your current diet looks like and also what time you train.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

This is an old question so I have gotten better. But I do still wonder about night-before eating.

I train in the mornings at 7am. My diet isn't as consistent as it was in 2013. On training days I have a protein shake w/dextrose and other supps pre workout, then another shake w/more protein and less carbs, along w/BCAAs and glutamine, post-workout. Then, ideally, I eat Paleo-influenced at lunch, have a small snack (nuts or fruit or something), larger paleo-ish meal for dinner, another snack if I feel like it around 8PM, then nothing til the next morning. Off-days I skip the two shakes and have like a protein bar for breakfast, and overall eat a little less, usually cut out the evening snack or both snacks. I have a cheat meal (which sometimes becomes a cheat day) 1x a week.

The above is ideal and is what I was doing when I posted this.

Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    I did a pre-workout shake and added some dextrose this morning. The increase in energy was significant. Alinshop you were right on the money with the carbs suggestion.

Good to hear that it worked for you.

Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    This is an old question so I have gotten better. But I do still wonder about night-before eating.

I train in the mornings at 7am. My diet isn't as consistent as it was in 2013. On training days I have a protein shake w/dextrose and other supps pre workout, then another shake w/more protein and less carbs, along w/BCAAs and glutamine, post-workout. Then, ideally, I eat Paleo-influenced at lunch, have a small snack (nuts or fruit or something), larger paleo-ish meal for dinner, another snack if I feel like it around 8PM, then nothing til the next morning. Off-days I skip the two shakes and have like a protein bar for breakfast, and overall eat a little less, usually cut out the evening snack or both snacks. I have a cheat meal (which sometimes becomes a cheat day) 1x a week.

The above is ideal and is what I was doing when I posted this.

Are you still trying to lose weight or have your goals changed?

Well I am back to needing to lose weight. I got injured around Thanksgiving last year and put 15 lbs back on while I was not training for 2 months. I started working out again in January but have no really lost any weight. Still wearing the same size pants and same hole in the belt but it is a bit more snug.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 06-30-2014 at 06:59 AM.