The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Is it possible to lose hypertrophy and maintain strength?

Hi guys,

As an athlete who fights in Mixed Martial Arts I've been toying with the idea of moving down to the 70kg weight class. I've currently been fighting at 72kg, but it isn't officially a weight division - it is a catch-weight and it has proven hard to get matches lately.

Over here we have 66kg, 70kg, 77kg and 84kg - I would be tiny at the 77kg weight class, so it seems logical that I would cut down rather than go up.

I don't like to cut water weight, my body fat percentage is always low (about 6-8%) so my only real option is to go down to 70kg by losing some hypertrophy - I took a couple of years off a while back and did a lot of bodybuilding stuff (8-12reps), so I believe I probably have some muscle to lose.

Currently my bench is at 120kg, 140kg squat, 170kg dead and 75kg press. So my numbers are 'respectable' for an athlete, I guess.

What I don't want to do is drop weight lifting for running - I feel that running creates slow paced, power-lacking fighters and I don't want to be one of those. I already do plenty of sprints and circuits (3-4 times a week in addition to training MMA 5 days a week).

With all this is mind, is there any way to maintain strength and lose hypertrophy or is this scientifically impossible?
    MMA: AFL's UK Bantamweight Champion (AKA: AFL UK Skinny Bastard Champion)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Very doable, as long as you train hard and heavy. Your CNS will take up the slack, plus you'll find yourself tightening up your form to try to compensate, too.
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

Actually at that low of a bodyfat percentage you're probably going to experience at least some strength loss. You are already very lean, more weight loss is going to slow your CNS recovery.

Over a length of time could you dump some muscle mass and still be as strong? I'm really not sure. Kinda doubtful.

I'm more the kinda guy who would rather get bigger to fill out the class rather than cut down

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig Member
    The trick wirh Mma is the mixed part. Its tough to get better in one area without dropping off in another. If you want to drop hypertrophy, eat less and run more. That is a sure way to chew up muscle. It doesnt sound like you have much fat to burn either so the majority of loss will be water and muscle which will hurt strength. Depending on your style that may not be the end of the world. Look at fighters like the Gracies or Anderson Silva, they use next to no power and both have been successful. Really depends what style fighter you are

just to be clear:
    "Hypertrophy" refers to "muscle growth" i.e. the addition of new muscle. If you want to structure a program that targets strength development without adding new muscle - that is achievable.

If you are after muscular "atrophy" or loss of muscle mass, that is something else. If you are actively shedding muscle tissue, this will take a toll on your system and is not conducive to strength development.

IMHO, the best you could hope for is to lose mass and strength simultaneously and then build your strength back up over time w/o triggering too much hypertrophy.

Alternatively, you could try to drop more fat...
    "Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness" - Edward Stanley