Hi guys,

As an athlete who fights in Mixed Martial Arts I've been toying with the idea of moving down to the 70kg weight class. I've currently been fighting at 72kg, but it isn't officially a weight division - it is a catch-weight and it has proven hard to get matches lately.

Over here we have 66kg, 70kg, 77kg and 84kg - I would be tiny at the 77kg weight class, so it seems logical that I would cut down rather than go up.

I don't like to cut water weight, my body fat percentage is always low (about 6-8%) so my only real option is to go down to 70kg by losing some hypertrophy - I took a couple of years off a while back and did a lot of bodybuilding stuff (8-12reps), so I believe I probably have some muscle to lose.

Currently my bench is at 120kg, 140kg squat, 170kg dead and 75kg press. So my numbers are 'respectable' for an athlete, I guess.

What I don't want to do is drop weight lifting for running - I feel that running creates slow paced, power-lacking fighters and I don't want to be one of those. I already do plenty of sprints and circuits (3-4 times a week in addition to training MMA 5 days a week).

With all this is mind, is there any way to maintain strength and lose hypertrophy or is this scientifically impossible?