Thread: Medial Mensicii Rehabilitation

Hybrid View

Medial Mensicii Rehabilitation

Hey guys, it's been a long time since I've been here.

I have a problem with my knees. Since about the beginning of the year until May I was squatting ATG with a very narrow stance so I can easily hit ATG (I am 6 3' so I have long legs), and this was slowly aggravating my medial meniscii on both of my knees. I stopped lifting until the end of June where it was getting better but I had an offer to do an internship and it required me to walk for about forty minutes a day to and from home, which further aggravated my knees and it slowed down the healing process.

What I do to treat them is that I walk with a wide stance using my hips so I don't have to bend my knees a lot and it helps me a lot, but I walk to school (I am a senior) and the light load in my backpack still stresses my knees. I have had a bad knee injury like this before and I think that it was probably my meniscii in my right knee as I was barely able to bend it for a couple of months, but that was over two years ago and I was able to squat heavy after that.

Have any of you guys ever had experience with this injury? I foolishly aggravated it a few these past few months but it is healing very slowly and I really want to avoid knee surgery.

Thanks in advance.
    Murderous's Progress To A 1000lb Raw Total

Health and Fitness Articles

"The task ahead of you is never as great as the power behind you" - Ephesians 6:10

Depends on how bad the damage is already and that's going to be pretty difficult to tell without going to a doctor.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Depends on how bad the damage is already and that's going to be pretty difficult to tell without going to a doctor.
    Thanks for the reply Travis. The pain is minimal when it acts up. Yesterday I loosely wrapped my knees with a pair of ace bandages for warmth and they helped a lot, so I am planning on wearing them all day from now on.

"The task ahead of you is never as great as the power behind you" - Ephesians 6:10

If you can't walk without pain, not going to the doctor is a poor choice

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Update: I am 18 now and my knees were injured about 11 months from now. The knees are doing great now, I can even do some jogging with no issues. The shifting feeling of my medical meniscii when I am standing has subsided but it is still there. I still feel a tiny bit of give when I curl my knee but it is manageable.
    My methods: For a while I was walking with a wider stance in order to minimally bend my knees and to depend on my hips to mostly raise my legs and it helped a lot. However, walking with a normal, narrow stance would hurt until I bought a pair of elastic knee sleeves that have a little compression but significantly help to warm up the knee during walking. I also started taking a MSM, chondroition sulfate and glucosamine supplement and I feel like it is helping as well.
    Result: I can do heavy rows without aggravating my knees as long as they're warmed up, but walking with heavy dumbbells does make them start shifting hours after I have left the gym but I experience no pain. I have ran down a hill at a fast speed and my knees were fine as long as I didn't bend them too much. I read articles stating that mild to moderate meniscus tears can heal on their own even if it's a tear on the white part that doesn't receive blood flow. I read many stories over the internet of lifters taking the conservative route and getting back to heavy lifting with little limitations.

You've gone about a year with this issue now? Have you sought the advice of a medical professional? I'm stubborn, hard headed and an asshole...I can self diagnose myself like no bodies business, but even I, after a year later, if I'm still having the same issue, I'm gonna buckle and go see my doc. Especially when dealing with someone so complex as the human knee. Tears will heal themselves, yes, with proper rest and recovery methods, which doesn't seem like you've been giving it. Just my .02.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Look man, you haven't rehabbed anything. You've just altered your life in a way that you can stay away from it, but you haven't fixed it.

You need to see a doc, get an MRI or Xray and see whats going on.

Simply hiding from the pain usually just creates more issues down the road in other areas.

Thanks for your responses and yes I suppose that it's time to see a doc for my knees. I just never visited the doctor because I want to avoid surgery, but I will look into physical therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by Murderous View Post
    Thanks for your responses and yes I suppose that it's time to see a doc for my knees. I just never visited the doctor because I want to avoid surgery, but I will look into physical therapy.
    I've learned that unless you go see a surgeon, most doctors I've seen try to stay away from surgery unless it's absolutely necessary in order to fully recover. Plus you can always find a Dr and get a second opinion, maybe they're more open to an alternative to surgery than the other doctor.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I sent you a private message about this because I had a similar injury.
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total