Thread: Change training routine while cutting?

Change training routine while cutting?

I'm 6 foot 1 weight about 180. I lost around 14 lbs while cutting but this has taken me close to 8 months or so. I've tried not to drastically change my calories but right now I'm around 2100-2200. I train about 5 days a week doing a push/pull/legs type split. My weight hasn't really budged in the last month and I want to lose another 5 lbs. My bodyfat is probably around 10%.

Seems I may have reached a plateau in with my current metabolism, calorie intake and calorie expenditure. Whats the best way to increase my deficit to continue my weight loss. Change my training split/routine(increase sets, decrease rest time?), add cardio (HIIT, low intesity steady state?, decrease calories more? I really hate cardio but I'll do it if thats the best way.

I'm trying to keep lifting heavy (sets of 5-10) to preserve muscle and trying not to go to failure because of impaired recovery.

If I were you I would get off of the diet for a period of time. Gain some weight back, but try to add as much lean muscle mass as possible while doing so. Once you have done so for about 3 months go back to trying to lose body fat.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

If I do that won't I be in the same position I am now in 5 months trying to lose this last bit of belly fat.

Quote Originally Posted by yayeti View Post
    If I do that won't I be in the same position I am now in 5 months trying to lose this last bit of belly fat.
    What position is that? You are likely overtraining and barely eating over 2k cals and STILL not losing body fat. You don't understand your body is in starvation mode/fighting your efforts to get leaner?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I just thought my metabolism has slowed not that I was in starvation mode. I was in this position about a year ago. I crash dieted down to 180lbs at 1800 calories then decided to bulk and just shot my calories up to 2800-3k. I ended up at 196lbs in 3 months or so but realized I had put on too much bodyfat. This time I just decreased by increments of 200 calories each time I stopped losing weight. I aimed for 1lb of weight loss per week.

Now I feel like I'm in the same spot I was before but a little stronger, not really much gains. I wanna build mass again but I want to start being super lean so I don't put on as much fat as I did before. I figured I am currently at a sticking point and wasn't sure what to do next to shave off another 5 lbs.

It is not uncommon to read about dieters dropping their total calories to 1700-1800 near the end of their diet.

I feel like I can really screw up my metabolism (unless it already is screwed up) dropping to levels like that, nevermind losing more muscle. I am hesitant about your recommendation to enter a gaining phase because with muscle gain comes fat gain. I don't feel I'm lean enough right now put on enough muscle before becoming too fat again (if that makes sense).

You're done losing weight for now. Eat some more food.

Just get under the bar!