The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Popping in my quad during squats

I was doing squats today and on my second set of 315 (moderately heavy for me currently) I went down for my first rep and when I started coming out of the bottom I felt a pop in my upper quad on the outside portion. I wouldn't really say it was painful but it definitely felt odd, I was able to finish the rep but I racked the weight immediately. I am icing it as I post this and so far I have a little limp but not much pain or tenderness.

I always thought a pop feeling meant bad news (pull or tear) but I am wondering if this could be something else. Obviously I will see a doctor if it gets worse this weekend but is it possible this was my IT band rolling over something else kind like when a tendon in my shoulder makes a popping feeling when I rotate it?

Just wanted to get some thoughts from people more knowledgeable, I will be resting, icing, and some light stretching in a day or so if there isn't much pain (and if there is I will be going to the doc). Any thoughts?
    6'1", 215lbs

Deadlift - 475, Front Squat - 320, Back Squat - 405

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Sounds to me like some form of strain or partial tear. I say that because you are having symptoms after the fact, no? Some pain and or weakness?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Sounds to me like some form of strain or partial tear. I say that because you are having symptoms after the fact, no? Some pain and or weakness?
    The pain is pretty weak, especially compare to when I pulled my hamstring years ago. I can definitely feel some pain when I put pressure on it but not to the point where it buckles me or anything. About 9 hrs after and I can get around fine, I wouldn't want to squat though.

I guess now all I can do is rest, ice, and when the soreness goes down start stretching. I would guess a doctors visit is a waste of time since that is what they would say. If it gets worse I would still go though.
    6'1", 215lbs

Yeah, sounds like just a minor strain. Just train around it for 2 weeks or so and then resume squatting with lighter weight and higher reps and you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    The pain is pretty weak, especially compare to when I pulled my hamstring years ago. I can definitely feel some pain when I put pressure on it but not to the point where it buckles me or anything. About 9 hrs after and I can get around fine, I wouldn't want to squat though.

I guess now all I can do is rest, ice, and when the soreness goes down start stretching. I would guess a doctors visit is a waste of time since that is what they would say. If it gets worse I would still go though.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Yeah, sounds like just a minor strain. Just train around it for 2 weeks or so and then resume squatting with lighter weight and higher reps and you should be fine.
    Thanks Chris, sounds like a plan
    Last edited by ncsuLuke; 11-03-2013 at 12:08 PM.
    6'1", 215lbs

A plan I have done a million times over the years

Could have just been a tendon freeing itself from an unnatural position. Happens to me once in a while. Usually stays sore a couple weeks. I got it checked out after the first few times and was told I have overly tight tendons..lol

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

I definitely have overly tight tendons, I always have needed to do more stretching work, I just have a hard time since I hate it so much. Guess this time I have a real reason to. Will mainly do hip stretches and foam rolling (when it heals) as that always loosens up my quads pretty well.
    6'1", 215lbs

Lol, I am the KING of tightness. My shoulders are horrible!!!!

My shoulder was stupid sore for a couple weeks after I went a couple months not back squatting. The act of holding the bar on my back even with my hands at the ends of the bar is what caused it since they were so tight. I envy people who are limber without working at it, I have NEVER been that guy.
    6'1", 215lbs

Quote Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    My shoulder was stupid sore for a couple weeks after I went a couple months not back squatting. The act of holding the bar on my back even with my hands at the ends of the bar is what caused it since they were so tight. I envy people who are limber without working at it, I have NEVER been that guy.
    Yep, I'm exactly the same.