The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

First Post - Questions on routine and Sup..

Hey i jsut registered and this is my first post =)

I just got a new job that has a huge gym with top notch equipment that is free to use for all employees and i decided to take advantage of it. However i dont know anything about working out. I am in pretty good shape because i have always been into physical labor.
    I am 6 foot tall, and 201.5 lbs, maybe a small gut but not very much of one. There are some guys where i work that use the gym and they are really big guys but they openly admit to using steroids and/or anything else that they can inject into their body to help them get bigger. I have did some research and have found a routine that i have been doing for the past 2 weeks and would like to know if it is a good starting routine or not. This routine has made me sore but not everly exhausted. btw i found the basis for this routine on shawn rays website.

it is as follow...

monday:

(every exercise is with as heavy of wieght as i am able to do to
    full rep count)

back 12 sets total of 8 reps, rows, pulldowns
    forearms 9 sets total of 8 reps, reverse curls, foreare curls
    biceps 9 sets total of 8 reps dumbbell curls, barbell curls, cable
    curls
    traps - shrugs 9 sets 8 reps
    crunches, sideways bends?

tuesday off

wednesday:
    lower body
    thighs 12 sets of 8 reps, squats, leg ext's
    calves - calf raises 9 sets 15 reps
    abs, crunches

thursday off

friday:
    Chest 12 sets total, reps 12 - 4 (pyrmid) Benches, flys
    triceps 9 sets 8 reps, french curl, pulldowns(machine), kickbacks
    deltoids 9 sets 8 reps military press, side raises
    crunches

Sat and Sun off

I hope i did not write that too messy. As you can see i am hitting one body part 1 once a week and i have given myslef plenty of rest inbetween. I just do not want to to this the whole time and it now be a very good workout.
    Second question is what good supplement could i take to help my body in the healing process so i am sure that i am good to go for the next workout. I have been told not to work one body part more than once a week which is a reall bummer because i want to be lifting weights everyday now :\

thanks and i really hope someone helps me because that took a long time to write ( i am a slow typist ;p)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

you are definelty a big dude and theres no doubt wieght lifting will help you, but the amount of set you are talking about in your routine is way too much. a tops of 5 sets should be maintined for each muscle. now i dont know much about over training but if you can handle that much then go for it, whats the worst that can happen.

if you are honest about lifting wieghts, then stick to it, it will make you a better person
    my goals: gain weight and muscle mass

Actually, volume in that routine does not look that high to me. Especially for a . Try it out for a few more weeks. If you make gains, which you probably will being new to weightlifting, then no need for changes. If you do not make gains, or just do not like the routine, change it up.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

First off, that not being able to hit the gym everyday is a real pain.. I think almost all of us here would love to live there.

As to supplements that can help you heal faster.. I'd avoid all right now. You don't need them yet. First, get your routine in line (asking here was a good start) then work on diet. That will be a major thing on how much you gain, and how lifting affects you. And I lied just a moment ago. Supplements I might consider right now are: whey protein and multivitamins.

Do not be lead into believing that supplements are so miracle cure. Without proper routine and diet they will do nothing for you. And even with those two things, they still don't do the miracles shown in the magazines.

Now on to the routine.. I'll repeat what was just said. Drop the sets.

monday:

----back 8 sets total of 8 reps, rows, pulldowns
    ----biceps 6 sets total of 8 reps dumbbell curls, barbell curls, cable
    curls
    **biceps have already been hit doing back. i'd pick 2 different exercises and just finish them off. (and I'd rather do something like preachers or hammers then those.. but the choice is yours)
    ----traps - shrugs 4-5 sets 8 reps
    **Do bb and db shrugs if you want some difference in trap work
    ----forearms 9 sets total of 8 reps, reverse curls, foreare curls
    **not sure what set range to recommend here. forearms aren't strong suit, but i'm thinking, smaller muscle group, lower it down to 6 or so.
    ----crunches, sideways bends?
    **do these like any other exercise. 3 sets for crunches, 2 sets for sideway bends (russian twist?). Do them weighted, progress as you go. Might want to do decline crunches instead of flat

tuesday off

wednesday:
    lower body
    ---quads 8 sets of 8 reps, squats, leg ext's
    **congrats on doing squats.
    ---hammies 2-3 sets of 8 reps, hamstring curl
    ---calves - calf raises 4 sets 15 reps
    **might want to try high/low rep range on this. do first set of 10 and second set of 25 then repeat. Could also do standing and seated if you go the equipment.
    -----abs, crunches
    **now, you know that you are only suppose to work a bodypart once per week, right? And yet you choose to do abs each time you go to the gym? Do you think it doesn't need to heal? Pick one day and one day only. Which one doesn't make a difference.

thursday off

friday:
    Chest 12 sets total, reps 12 - 4 (pyrmid) Benches, flys
    **not sure about how many sets i'd do with pyrmid settings, but i think i'd skip that right now, and just do a normal rep range. (8-10). If you decide to do that, then lower sets down to 8 on this as well.
    triceps 6 sets 8 reps, french curl, pulldowns(machine), kickbacks
    **pick two exercises (don't much matter which).
    deltoids 6 sets 8 reps military press, side raises
    crunches
    **you know what i said about crunches last time. one day.

Sat and Sun off

Final note: If you try this (lower volume), first few time you go the gym you will leave feeling that you can do more. Keep doing it, and keep going up in weight each week on the exercises (focus on progression). You'll find that with lower sets you can push yourself more, and raise weight/reps each week.
    LaLa

Hey thanks for the replys and the information. I think i will follow your advice and drop the amount of sets that i am doing.
    I really appreciate the help because this is all pretty new to me. I didnt know there was so many things to know about weight lifting.

oh sorry for posting again but i was reading over nights post and he said to mix it up for the traps to try bb and db shrugs. I am not sure what that is? The db and bb part i mean. thanks again

No worries on posting again. db = dumbbell bb = barbell

And yeah, there's a whole science to what your getting into. Just start reading around here (the forum and the articles on wannabebig are a good place to start), some magazines. Don't believe everything you hear (even what I'm telling you). As you'll find out there's opposite views on even the basics behind it. As you get into it more, you'll form a better opinion on what works best for you.
    LaLa