Thread: The Slingshot Craze

The Slingshot Craze

What are people's experience with this? Or really any pseudo bench shirt or strap or whatever you want to call it. I know there are a few companies that make them

I haven't used one a ton, but when I have I really don't get much benefit from it.

To me the idea of using less of a bench shirt just doesn't make much sense to me.

Whenever I want to overload raw, I use boards because it's still me pushing the weight as opposed to something helping me.

I've heard the comparison to reverse bands, and I guess I could see that a little except the bench strap will effect your groove whereas the reverse bands still allow you to bench like you naturally would. That said I don't utilize reverse bands a whole lot either. .

And when I'm getting ready for an equipped meet, I wear my shirt ever third week. My experience has been when overloading week after week after week, I actually get slower and more worn out. Weights feel heavier, tendons and connective tissue gets really beat up, it doesn't help me.

I actually talked to some CF gyms in my area who said they were told to use the Slingshot in their training, which made even less sense to me lol.

But I'm interested in hearing others experiences with this type of training, slingshot or ram or the metal one.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I see it as another tool. I have bands and chains that I'll use periodically, but mainly on Speed Days and to address a lockout weakness. But, if given a choice, I prefer to not use them unless I have to.

We use it occasionally in training for a lift variation. I like it as an intermediate between raw and shirt. So when I am warming up I'll hit my last raw set then take a set in my Ram, then go to my shirt.

I was using one every now and then for a while but honestly didn't feel I experienced much gain from it. It's a fun tool to play around with in my opinion and eventually it became something I would use on a deload day to save my shoulders. Honestly though outside of maybe using it to warm up before a shirt I think its pretty useless for raw lifters.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke View Post
    I was using one every now and then for a while but honestly didn't feel I experienced much gain from it. It's a fun tool to play around with in my opinion and eventually it became something I would use on a deload day to save my shoulders. Honestly though outside of maybe using it to warm up before a shirt I think its pretty useless for raw lifters.
    That's kinda what I noticed. I wasn't really getting much out of it.

I have no problem using something if it's going to help me, but if it doesn't then it's gone.

Bands and chains make the lifts harder, these types of things make the lift easier - like I said, it just doesn't make sense to me

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Eric spoto uses one. Al Davis does too. I never touched one but those guys have huge raw benches.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    Eric spoto uses one. Al Davis does too. I never touched one but those guys have huge raw benches.
    True, although both of them benched pretty big before using it

True. Just like anything. It can't replace the good old fashioned bench press to build your bench press lol.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Does Spoto really use it regularly in his training? I would guess not.

I am not a fan of the device for anything other than variety. With that said, more power to Bell for creating it and selling a lot of them.

I use it when warming up for shirted bench. It decreases my jump from raw to the shirt without taxing myself on the raw lifts. I also use it once in awhile if my shoulders are feeling beat up. Overall, I'd much rather just shirt up every third week and bench raw the rest of the time.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

I originally thought wtf, then I realized it's no different than any other ME exercise. I actually like them. I think I have the biggest size, but I can't get it on by myself which is a pita. I am getting a Metal catapult. If I can get It on myself I will throw it into the rotation.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    My wife benches around 140 raw, usually puts her shirt on at 185 and opens in the low 200 range.
    She uses a variation of the slingshot on days when she is getting in to the shirt just to do a few reps with 135 before getting in to her shirt. This way she doesn't have to fatigue her chest/shoulders as much before doing work in the shirt.

I am more accustomed to handling heavy weights. Bench a little over 500 raw, 750 in contest. I never use the slingshot.
    On raw days I push heavy raw or against chains. On geared days I'll work to 410 for a few reps then just put on a shirt and jump to 560.

Different (bench) strokes for different folks....
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    True, although both of them benched pretty big before using it
    i've found the slingshot good for overloading reps rather than as a max effort. i'll use a weight that i could normally only rep for 3-5, and do 10-15 reps with it.

I don't like it for max effort stuff. just not really worth it. but i can get a heck of a tricep burn from rep overload training with it...