Thread: Stress Management and Its Effect on Progress

Stress Management and Its Effect on Progress

I'm more referring to extenuating circumstances that cause you prolonged amounts of stress that are far beyond your normal amounts.

How does it effect your training?

I've found for me, singular events that are far over the top of what you're used to can really ruin your training progress.

I've never really considered it before but from a training aspect I found the correlation interesting. So I did lots of reading on cortisol release during these events and whatnot and really the havoc it can wreck on your central nervous system. It took me about a month and a half to come back to gaining the rate of progression I was at before.

This may have been for several reasons. The first being that when I sensed the lack in progression I worked about twice as hard as I had before, which may have actually hurt me physically but mentally it at least soothed my psyche lol.

The second being that when progress stops, it takes twice the amount of energy to get it started again.

Stress management obviously can take shape in various forms as well as depending on what type of stress it is. In this situation for me there wasn't an easily fixable solution.

Curious as I'm sure others have gone though stuff like this as well what the effect on their training was.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Hmmm, wife left me, both parents died, supplier tried to ruin my business and so on and so on.... I think I know a bit about it. For me, training has helped me make it through said times with my sanity. I don't think it has had a particularly detrimental effect on my training, but that is because I know that increased psychological stress dictates an alteration in training via both a reduction in volume and a periodization of intensity.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Yeah psychologically it didn't hurt me at all.

I guess I just found that during that time, specific PRs were pretty much non existant. It was really odd. I've never had anything like that happen before. So I guess the effect was more on the physical rather than the mental.

Training volume was good, diet was meh, it was just interesting to me is all I guess.

For that month and a half it really ate my progress alive lol. I think that may have caused me more mental stress than anything else (not really)

This article while not directly relating, I still found pretty interesting

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract

I have been fairly lucky. Stress is something I deal with but its never been bad enough that I have ever seen my glass less then half full. Managing a center that deals with many happy disabled adults gives me a great deal of perspective on what really matters in life.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS