The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to spot someone at the gym.

It is one of my pet peaves that most people don't know how to spot. This conclusion is based on what I have found when asking people for a spot while benching. These are the 2 most common mistakes:

1. The spotter helping before the bar is stalled. Say you are cranking out the last rep on your bench, and you are having trouble pushing the bar up as quickly as you did on your first rep. Many people think that this is when a spotter should step in, and help. WRONG! The spotter should become more alert, since muscle failure is near, but don't you dare touch the bar until it has stalled!

2. The spotter giving too much help. Many times, when you do end up stalling the bar, the spotter will pull hard on the bar, so that it can be placed back on the rack. DON'T DO THIS! When the muscles are giving all that they have to move the bar is when the muscles are being trained in such a way to make you bigger and stronger. Now that you can no longer do any more reps unassisted, you have finally reached that important point that will help you get bigger! The spotter should give just enough help so that you do not stall the bar.

These 2 common errors rob the lifter of some future mass and strength gains. Muscle failure is where you want to be. A good spotter allows you to stay within muscle failure for a little longer, helping you to make gains. A bad spotter prevents you from staying in failure for very long, robbing you of them.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I've only ever had one good spotter on bench from someone I didn't know. Every other person always fookin touches my bar too early. Just to show that it's everyone, not young people, not old people, not boys, not girls, this was a teenage girl and she prolly gave me the best spot on bench ever considering I didn't even have to give her directions
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy
    That happens. Get a training partner that you can trust or teach someone the correct technique and we can stop the spotter madness.

Lets get the rules of spotting out to the uneducated.

GG
    Formly Known as AFreakyMutation
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

btw....should someone be touching your ass while spotting you on a squat?
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Originally posted by Tryska
    btw....should someone be touching your ass while spotting you on a squat?
    why? do you need a spot?

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    LOL my friends are opposite, the bar has to fall really hard onto my chest before i get a spot, o well, im still getting stronger.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Im iffy on your rule #2, if someone stalls near the bottom i give them a sec to strugle and as soon as the bar lowers a bit i just give a yank on the bar. Reason being is because most of the time i give them a bit of help they give up completly cause me to expel my energy when i dont want to

Another thing that i feel like thowing in is that most people suck at spotting on squats. If you are the only person spotting someone you have to be very close to them with your arms going nex t to there sides and you go down the same time as them, it looks odd to most people but its by far the safest way. Most people i see are just standing about 2 feet back from the person and by the time the person misses the weight there down on the safty pins befor the 'spotter' even gets to them.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Originally posted by Shocker

why? do you need a spot?
    *lol* no....someone jumped in and spotted me the other day when i attempted my first real heavy squats. he gave me lots of form tips, but he also grabbed my ass a couple of times while i was going down, and i wasn't sure whether that's supposed to happen or whether that was his errr "tip" for helping me out.

hh...judging from adam's post, maybe he diod spot me right.

Is it just me, or does anyone else wanna go spot Tryska now?

Mybe I could do that spotting technique some people use on bench. Hold my hands around the bar with my fingers aimed down so they touch your chest
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

*lol*

he spotted me on my bench too, but he didn't do any of that. he critiqued my form, and then made me go lighter and sat on another bench and yelled at me.

*lol* no....someone jumped in and spotted me the other day when i attempted my first real heavy squats. he gave me lots of form tips, but he also grabbed my ass a couple of times while i was going down, and i wasn't sure whether that's supposed to happen or whether that was his errr "tip" for helping me out.
    That reminds me of the "Friends" episode where Chandler gets violated by Joey's tailor. lol
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

...fattest...fatter...fat. WannaBeStrong's Avatar

he also grabbed my ass a couple of times while i was going down

shut up! taking posts out of context. that never happens here!

Why were his hands near your ass if he was spotting you on squats?
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

that's what i'm trying to figure out, dammit.

i had on a big ol tank top like always so about the only thing i can come up with is that he could see my hips for form so he felt for them?

it was distracting i'll tell you that much, but everything else in his spotting was on point, so i didn't know.

besides, as doc can attest too....there's a lot of ass-touching during spotting at my gym.
    Last edited by Tryska; 07-18-2002 at 06:57 PM.

Sounds like a freaky joint.

They don't just use chains for benching and squatting do they?
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

not whilst in the gym, no.

not whilst in the gym, no.
    So where may I ask do they use chains??

Or do we really wanna know??

Wannabebig Member
    Tryska: Personally I like my squat spotter to basically just pull my upper body back a bit when I start to get stuck because I tend to start leaning too far forward then. If he pulls me back with his hands on my ribs, below my pecs (not in a caressing kind of way-with the side of his closed fists!) then I can usually keep the bar moving. However for Tryska, this may give the perv an even better opportunity (assumingly). There's no way his hands should be on your ass (during the spot). There's not much to grab on to there without actually GRABBING ON.

Originally posted by magoo
    There's not much to grab on to there without actually GRABBING ON.
    speak for yourself. *lol*

yeah i see your point...he like just momentarily touched it when i was at the bottom of my rep a couple times and once at the top..needless to say it was a wee bit distracting..but i didn't feel like he was being lecherous. just not sure if i should have felt that way.

and personally if being spotted i'd rather have him touching my ass then coming round front to somewhere near the tatas. i might wind up totally losing it and dropping the barbell.

and kayak....I don't even wanna know, but i'm sure chains get used. *lol*. you should see it right now we got this promotion for a cardio striptease class and the posterboy for it, in one of the pictures is teachign the class in fishnet stockings a codpiece type g-string, and a tight cut off tank top. it's quite strange, but hey...no judgements. that's our motto.

good spotting tips

1. yell at them and encourage them, let them know when you're not helping

2. for bench, use one hand over hand, the other under hand

3. don't touch the bar unless they're struggling

i'd rather have him touching my ass then coming round front to somewhere near the tatas.
    shut up! taking posts out of context. that never happens here!
    Sorry. I couldn't resist.
    "When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite."

- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I work out with my brother and it is great. He is bigger and stronger than me and always gives the right kinda spot.

Wow, I'm supposed to go work out with her sometimes soon and she's gettin' all frisky!

Sweet!