The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

are rubber plates larger than their iron counterpart?

I'm wondering if I could just buy a set of 45lb rubber plates to cushion the drop even if I had other iron 45lb plates on the bar.

Thanks for any info

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

From my experience, no, they are the same diameter. I won't claim to have looked at every brand out there though. What brand are you thinking of buying? Perhaps send their service department an email first?

They are always at least a little larger in my experience, but the difference in most cases is minimal.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Yeah usually the bumpers are a bit bigger, but it's less than 1/4" from what I've seen.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Iron plates with a plastic/rubber lining are not bumper plates and are pretty close in size to iron plates. They give minimal benefit for dropping the bar in regards to protecting the bar and the surface they are dropped on (better than plane metal plates).

Bumper plates designed for olympic lifting have much more rubber in them so they are typically wider than most iron plates unless you go with the old fashioned deep dish iron plates.

45lb bumpers are around 3 1/4" inches wide. Competition bumper plates can be thinner.

That's why you'll see some guys with bumpers filling up a bar and posting a deadlift vid thinking holy crap, then realizing it is 405 on the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by RFabsik View Post
    That's why you'll see some guys with bumpers filling up a bar and posting a deadlift vid thinking holy crap, then realizing it is 405 on the bar.

My personal favorite is seeing a picture of an IFBB pro, veins bursting, doing Tbar rows loaded out with a bunch of ten pound bumpers with a 45 in front. Kind of like wrapping a hundred dollar bill around a bunch of ones. And yes I know guys who do that too.

Really? Who has done that? Do keep in mind that it is often at the direction of the photographers that athletes use fake weights etc. for photo shoots.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Really? Who has done that? Do keep in mind that it is often at the direction of the photographers that athletes use fake weights etc. for photo shoots.
    Hidetada was the one I was thinking of. I could be wrong but it looks like a 45, 25, then 10s or 15s. And I know it is the photographers who set that stuff up. Wasn't Dorian Yates pretty much the first guy who told them to piss off regarding fake weights and cheesy set ups?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLift View Post
    Hidetada was the one I was thinking of. I could be wrong but it looks like a 45, 25, then 10s or 15s. And I know it is the photographers who set that stuff up. Wasn't Dorian Yates pretty much the first guy who told them to piss off regarding fake weights and cheesy set ups?
    I'm not sure if Yates was one of the first or not. Yeah, those are definitely not all 45s. Lol, that stuff is annoying...

Quote Originally Posted by RFabsik View Post
    Iron plates with a plastic/rubber lining are not bumper plates and are pretty close in size to iron plates. They give minimal benefit for dropping the bar in regards to protecting the bar and the surface they are dropped on (better than plane metal plates).

Bumper plates designed for olympic lifting have much more rubber in them so they are typically wider than most iron plates unless you go with the old fashioned deep dish iron plates.

45lb bumpers are around 3 1/4" inches wide. Competition bumper plates can be thinner.

So there is "no way" to buy a single set of 45 lb bumpers (and have the rest of the weights on the bar be normal plate weights) so that you can drop them?
    Does this pose make my camera look big?

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."

Obviously they come in all shapes and sizes, so if you're trying to cushion the fall from the iron plates, just ask different brands what the diameter is. Many sites will have live chat options, so it will be pretty easy to find out
    If you're struggling to gain weight, let alone muscle, Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Iplan View Post
    So there is "no way" to buy a single set of 45 lb bumpers (and have the rest of the weights on the bar be normal plate weights) so that you can drop them?
    For deadlifts you might be able to get away with a pair of 45 bumpers adding some cushioning if you drop on the way down, but not a lot.

For Olympic Lifts, you really want the bumpers to protect the bar.

You can probably get away with a pair of 25's and some change without too much of an issue.

Also, what type of platform are you dropping it onto? If you have a good rubber mat with plywood below you might be OK dropping all iron from a deadlift, but still risking stuff if you are dropping from overhead.

Wannabebig Member
    there's no better sound than 2 metal plates slapping together; it's a beautiful thing .