The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Programs

Programs

I am curious to know who writes their own programs versus having someone else train them/write their program?

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I was taught by Rick Scarpulla of Ultimate Advantage (Westside type programming). Now I do my own programming based on what he taught me. Also incorporated Alex Viada's running program.

I've always written mine but with lots of outside influence. When I first went raw I implement bits and pieces of 531 while keeping my own thoughts. This meet I used a lot of josh bryants ideas but implemented his things with ny own interpretation. I like to have influence but I find it fun to tweak and change things in my own as the meet nears.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I mix and match. Things that work better for me in certain cases aren't usually in typical programs. For example, in order to really work my chest well I have found I need a lot of volume, it wasn't until I really increased the volume that I started seeing decent gains. For more power lifts like deads and squats I do better with less volume. I am sure my routines could be much much better but I find I get better results when I don't stick to a one size fits all program.
    6'1", 215lbs

Deadlift - 475, Front Squat - 320, Back Squat - 405

How far in advance do most people plan their training?
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    How far in advance do most people plan their training?
    I always have a meet around the corner(do atlest 2 per year) so I always do chunks of 12-16 weeks in advance.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I guess depends on how specific the question is referring to. As to a general template, we plan out as far as the next meet, for the full meet guys, deadlift attempts and circa max are planned and for guys like me equipped days are planned.

The rest as far as specific max effort exercises are planned about a week or two in advance. The accessory work I usually have figured out in my head a day or two before we train.

The general template usually is full range, partial range, reverse bands or floor press and then shirts.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

My overall template is: shirt up every 3 weeks (last time ~10 days out and take my opener), full gear squat every 6 weeks (last time 14 days out and take my opener), reverse average band deadlift 5 weeks out (use max as 2nd attempt), and deadlift in suit 3 weeks out up to reverse band max. I'm adding a true max in the DL suit earlier on this training cycle. The other weeks I fill in based on prior training cycles.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Always do my own thing. I ask people I am training with what my form looks like from time to time but that's about it. Sometimes I don't decide what I do till I walk in the gym, and sometimes I have an idea like I want to use chains for 2-3 weeks or something like that but no specific numbers. I always go by how it feels that day. Shortly before meets, I usually have an idea what I would like to do the last 5-6 weeks and time deload right.
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

I use implements from Josh Bryant when I trained with him, as well as Brandon Lilly's Cube Method. I've learned what works for me so I mix and match things. I typically set up my training in to 10-12 week blocks depends on when the next meet is.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May