The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member Paulo_Santos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    324

    Contrast Training

    Anyone incorporate Contrast Training into their programming? I read Lee Boyce's article and I tried to incorporate the contrast training, but I can't seem to get the volume right. Sometimes I feel that I'm doing too much and sometimes I'm not doing enough. Here are some sample days:

    ME/DE Upper:
    1. Main lift/Speed Bench

    RE Upper:
    2. Chest or Heavy Triceps SS/Plyo Pushups: 4 sets each
    3. Back SS/Kipping Pullups: 4 sets each
    4. Shoulders SS/Wall Ball Throws: 3 sets each
    5. Triceps SS/Banded Triceps Pushdowns: 3 sets each
    6. Biceps SS/Banded Biceps Curls: 3 sets each

    ME/DE Lower:
    1. Main lift/Speed Squats

    RE Lower:
    2. Quads SS/Jumping Air Squats: 4 sets each
    3. Hamstrings SS/Banded Hamstring Curls: 4 sets each
    4. Lower Back/Glutes/Hamstrings SS/Box Jumps: 3 sets each
    5. Core SS/knees-to-Elbows: 3 sets each

    So that is it. Any suggestions/changes?

    Usually I do:

    ME/DE Upper:
    1. Main lift/Speed Bench

    RE Upper:
    2. Chest or Heavy Tricrps: 5 sets
    3. Back: 5 sets
    4. Shoulders: 4 sets
    5. Lats or Rear Delts: 4 sets
    6. Triceps: 3 sets
    7. Biceps: 3 sets

    ME/DE Lower:
    1. Main lift/Speed Squats

    RE Lower:
    2. Quads: 5 sets
    3. Hamstrings: 5 sets
    4. Lower Back/Glutes/Hamstrings: 4 sets
    5. Core: 4 sets
    Last edited by Paulo_Santos; 11-17-2013 at 06:04 AM.

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,987
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo_Santos View Post
    Anyone incorporate Contrast Training into their programming? I read Lee Boyce's article and I tried to incorporate the contrast training, but I can't seem to get the volume right. Sometimes I feel that I'm doing too much and sometimes I'm not doing enough. Here are some sample days:

    ME/DE Upper:
    1. Main lift/Speed Bench

    RE Upper:
    2. Chest or Heavy Triceps SS/Plyo Pushups: 4 sets each
    3. Back SS/Kipping Pullups: 4 sets each
    4. Shoulders SS/Wall Ball Throws: 3 sets each
    5. Triceps SS/Banded Triceps Pushdowns: 3 sets each
    6. Biceps SS/Banded Biceps Curls: 3 sets each

    ME/DE Lower:
    1. Main lift/Speed Squats

    RE Lower:
    2. Quads SS/Jumping Air Squats: 4 sets each
    3. Hamstrings SS/Banded Hamstring Curls: 4 sets each
    4. Lower Back/Glutes/Hamstrings SS/Box Jumps: 3 sets each
    5. Core SS/knees-to-Elbows: 3 sets each

    So that is it. Any suggestions/changes?

    Usually I do:

    ME/DE Upper:
    1. Main lift/Speed Bench

    RE Upper:
    2. Chest or Heavy Tricrps: 5 sets
    3. Back: 5 sets
    4. Shoulders: 4 sets
    5. Lats or Rear Delts: 4 sets
    6. Triceps: 3 sets
    7. Biceps: 3 sets

    ME/DE Lower:
    1. Main lift/Speed Squats

    RE Lower:
    2. Quads: 5 sets
    3. Hamstrings: 5 sets
    4. Lower Back/Glutes/Hamstrings: 4 sets
    5. Core: 4 sets
    What's your goal and desired result of the split?
    Best Lifts unequipped
    765
    505
    755
    Best lifts Equipped
    1050
    840
    715

    Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

  4. #3
    Senior Member Paulo_Santos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    324
    To put on size, which I thought was the idea behind the contrast training. And also to work in some plyometrics exercises.

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo_Santos View Post
    Usually I do:

    ME/DE Upper:
    1. Main lift/Speed Bench

    RE Upper:
    2. Chest or Heavy Tricrps: 5 sets
    3. Back: 5 sets
    4. Shoulders: 4 sets
    5. Lats or Rear Delts: 4 sets
    6. Triceps: 3 sets
    7. Biceps: 3 sets
    If your main goal is to put on size no way you are doing enough volume on upper body stuff. 5 sets to hit back? Should be more like 15-20 sets if you really want to put size on upper back. Same thing 5 sets of chest/triceps should be at least a couple exercises of 4-5sets each for chest and one or two exercises 4-5sets each for triceps after benching. You need to split this up into at least 2 separate days. So like: bench/chest/triceps and back/shoulders/biceps or something like that, or 3 days if you want to split it up more.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo_Santos View Post
    ME/DE Lower:
    1. Main lift/Speed Squats

    RE Lower:
    2. Quads: 5 sets
    3. Hamstrings: 5 sets
    4. Lower Back/Glutes/Hamstrings: 4 sets
    5. Core: 4 sets
    This is actually not bad. Could also do a second squat or deadlift movement or a leg press or something like that if you want, depending how many sets you do on your main lift which I do not know.

    I saw the other idea you want to change these things to, but I don't think the plyometric things you're choosing are the best options for what you say your main goal is to put on size. But if you specifically want to get better at those things then do them somewhere in there too.
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

  6. #5
    Senior Member Paulo_Santos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by April Mathis View Post
    If your main goal is to put on size no way you are doing enough volume on upper body stuff. 5 sets to hit back? Should be more like 15-20 sets if you really want to put size on upper back. Same thing 5 sets of chest/triceps should be at least a couple exercises of 4-5sets each for chest and one or two exercises 4-5sets each for triceps after benching. You need to split this up into at least 2 separate days. So like: bench/chest/triceps and back/shoulders/biceps or something like that, or 3 days if you want to split it up more.



    This is actually not bad. Could also do a second squat or deadlift movement or a leg press or something like that if you want, depending how many sets you do on your main lift which I do not know.

    I saw the other idea you want to change these things to, but I don't think the plyometric things you're choosing are the best options for what you say your main goal is to put on size. But if you specifically want to get better at those things then do them somewhere in there too.
    Thanks for the reply. On the volume that you mentioned, I do upper body and lower body twice a week: ME and DE Upper, ME and DE Lower, so I'm guessing that is going to be enough volume as you suggested. So for back, I often do 18 sets per week. And for my main lifts, I generally do: 5,5,5,3,1,1,1,1, and maybe another one if the 4th one was light.

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    322
    I've heard good things about it, but I didn't work out for me when I tried it. No real increases in explosion or speed. I seem to get more from simply jump roping (in terms of lower body speed, at least).

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo_Santos View Post
    Thanks for the reply. On the volume that you mentioned, I do upper body and lower body twice a week: ME and DE Upper, ME and DE Lower, so I'm guessing that is going to be enough volume as you suggested. So for back, I often do 18 sets per week. And for my main lifts, I generally do: 5,5,5,3,1,1,1,1, and maybe another one if the 4th one was light.
    yes sounds ok
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

Similar Threads

  1. Contrast showers
    By Big Jay in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-23-2009, 12:51 PM
  2. Contrast Shower?
    By Tennessee Mike in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-04-2008, 02:55 PM
  3. Contrast Baths
    By IZich in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-07-2007, 03:13 PM
  4. In Contrast of Tomorrow
    By burningtime in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-30-2005, 01:51 PM
  5. A Contrast Of Angles
    By Franjipani in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 12:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •