Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Conditioning

  1. #1
    Super Moderator vdizenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,365

    Conditioning

    Who else counts yard work and the like as conditioning? Of course I should mention I have a lawn tractor. I know Trav does some hard work. Do you take that into consideration with your plan?


    Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

    My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

    "The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,004
    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Who else counts yard work and the like as conditioning? Of course I should mention I have a lawn tractor. I know Trav does some hard work. Do you take that into consideration with your plan?
    I haven't done anything condition wise this entire meet prep but when I do I willl count cutting the grass bit that's about it.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

    Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

    Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

  3. #3
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,657
    Or house cleaning .


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  4. #4
    Westside Bencher Travis Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Westside Barbell, OH
    Posts
    8,920
    haha yeah I do quite a bit of work in the woods felling trees and no I don't count it as conditioning. It's not the same pace and doesn't really achieve the same purpose. Your hear rate doesn't stay elevated high enough for long enough time.

    I've had buddies who could out work me all day long in the woods but come to a sled drag situation I can do it much longer and with much more weight than they can. Same with the prowler.

    If a persons purpose is weight loss or increased conditioning you need to approach it as such. Just include the yard work as extra workouts haha


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

  5. #5
    Senior Member Invain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,965
    Anything not requiring sitting or lying down is conditioning for me.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

  6. #6
    Senior Member Paulo_Santos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    325
    Do you guys feel that doing some conditioning (real conditioning) would hurt your progress or you guys just allergic to it. LOL.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator vdizenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,365
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo_Santos View Post
    Do you guys feel that doing some conditioning (real conditioning) would hurt your progress or you guys just allergic to it. LOL.
    I think there can be a law of diminishing returns, but I think most of us are far away from it.


    Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

    My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

    "The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

  8. #8
    Westside Bencher Travis Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Westside Barbell, OH
    Posts
    8,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo_Santos View Post
    Do you guys feel that doing some conditioning (real conditioning) would hurt your progress or you guys just allergic to it. LOL.
    Conditioning is definitely something that helps my lifting. When I've gone through periods of where I've dropped it completely I often can't train as long or at as high an intensity as I'd like to. Ask any of my training partners at Westside, it takes a lot to make it through a bench session with me and there is a level of conditioning that is required.

    What happens is sometimes guys go too far with the conditioning to where its taking place of strength training or it's hurting it. High intensity conditioning can be a strain on the central nervous system. Low impact is the best.

    The added trouble is also for some of us who struggle to maintain weight - that'd be me lol. Right now I'm having a hard time keeping myself at 270 so I really dial back the conditioning.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

  9. #9
    Senior Member Paulo_Santos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Conditioning is definitely something that helps my lifting. When I've gone through periods of where I've dropped it completely I often can't train as long or at as high an intensity as I'd like to. Ask any of my training partners at Westside, it takes a lot to make it through a bench session with me and there is a level of conditioning that is required.

    What happens is sometimes guys go too far with the conditioning to where its taking place of strength training or it's hurting it. High intensity conditioning can be a strain on the central nervous system. Low impact is the best.

    The added trouble is also for some of us who struggle to maintain weight - that'd be me lol. Right now I'm having a hard time keeping myself at 270 so I really dial back the conditioning.
    I came from a cardio background and cardio is very easy for me. The hardest thing is managing the two which is hard for me. Running is hurting my gains because of recovery and I'm just now figuring out the right balance.

Similar Threads

  1. Conditioning before SS?
    By mr handy in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-17-2009, 04:06 AM
  2. Conditioning First?
    By lean-nakoa in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2007, 02:09 PM
  3. What is conditioning?
    By Portboy in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-10-2007, 04:45 PM
  4. Anaerobic Conditioning to Aerobic Conditioning
    By Chubrock in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-01-2006, 01:13 PM
  5. Conditioning
    By Jonesy in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-26-2006, 06:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •