Thread: My awesome 3 day/week split

My awesome 3 day/week split

What's up y'all. It's been a while since I've posted here. I've been really busy lately, but I still have not stopped training despite my lack of posting.

I've been consistently lifting for about 7 or 8 years now, and as of the past few years my training sessions have been primarily used for strength that I can transfer over to Jiu-jitsu. At a weight of about 185, my max deadlift is about 440, squat 350, and bench about 250...nothing spectacular, but still not too bad. However, I'm still always going to be into looking good too, so this routine takes that into account as well.

I wanted to design an EFFICIENT routine that would achieve everything that I was looking for (physique is ALL about diet, so if "getting ripped" is the goal, this would work very well). My particular goals are to maintain a general level of strength, muscle mass, and look good. However, since I spend a lot of time on the mats training BJJ, I don't want to be spending hours in the gym, therefore I wanted to design an all encompassing routine that lasts no longer than 45 minutes.

Here it is:

Monday

Back Squat
    Clean and Press
    Pull-ups or Chin-ups

Wednesday

Deadlift
    Bench Press
    Pull-ups or Chin-ups

Friday

Front Squat
    Strict Barbell Press
    Pull-ups or Chin-ups

- As for the sets and rep range, I vary it. Right now, I'm doing 5 ramping sets of 5 for each of the first 2 lifts, and 3 x 10 for the pull-ups.

- If you were looking for more volume, you could also use a set/rep scheme such as doing several warm-up sets, and then do 3 x 5 at your working weight.

- If you prefer doing higher reps and working in the "hypertrophy range", you could do 4 x 8 or 3 x 10 or something.

- You could also apply "wave loading" to each of the first 2 lifts of each day as well by applying Wendler's 5/3/1 percentages to it.

That's pretty much it. It's simple and it doesn't neglect anything.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Depending on the intensity of exercise squatting, pulling, and then squatting again for all three training days is a bit much. The clean and press is also something I would replace.

Tell me a bit more about how hard you are training etc.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!