Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Dynamic Effort Only

  1. #1
    Super Moderator vdizenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,370

    Dynamic Effort Only

    Getting ready for this strongman I have quickly figured out I have become weak in my core and posterior chain from taking a good 6 months off from really squatting and deadlifting (albeit with a trap bar and ssb). I did this so I could recover for benching so I could get that 600 raw at 275.

    Being that I have two ruptured discs in my back, one completely ruptured and repaired biceps, and another partially not repaired I need to be cautious how I enter back into these exercises. I was considering doing solely dynamic work with the squat and deadlift (along with other assistance of course). My thought process is, I have never hurt myself doing dynamic work. In addition, considering I drive through my legs so hard to bench, could the dynamic work of squatting and deadlifting enhance that ability. Plus it would just be a good way to get my body adjusted to those exercises again.

    I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.


    Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

    My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

    "The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

  2. #2
    Westside Bencher Travis Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Westside Barbell, OH
    Posts
    8,920
    Are you trying to do the DE lower stuff to help your bench or help your strongman training?


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

  3. #3
    Super Moderator vdizenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Are you trying to do the DE lower stuff to help your bench or help your strongman training?
    Bench. Strongman is only a one shot deal for fun. It's going to a good cause. I do want to add, a focus would be to keep bumping the numbers up as long as I can keep them fast.


    Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

    My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

    "The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,007
    If I was a bench only guy I would not squat or pull at all lol. I would put that emphasis into cardio and core work. prowler and sled work weekly.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

    Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

    Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

  5. #5
    Super Moderator vdizenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,370
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    If I was a bench only guy I would not squat or pull at all lol. I would put that emphasis into cardio and core work. prowler and sled work weekly.
    I hate not squatting and deadlifting. It has made me weak. No prowler, had one and sold it. Dug up our lawn too much. I have a sled, but I just can't get motivated to get heavy with it. Plus, you certainly know how much the winter blows.


    Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

    My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

    "The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Getting ready for this strongman I have quickly figured out I have become weak in my core and posterior chain from taking a good 6 months off from really squatting and deadlifting (albeit with a trap bar and ssb). I did this so I could recover for benching so I could get that 600 raw at 275.

    Being that I have two ruptured discs in my back, one completely ruptured and repaired biceps, and another partially not repaired I need to be cautious how I enter back into these exercises. I was considering doing solely dynamic work with the squat and deadlift (along with other assistance of course). My thought process is, I have never hurt myself doing dynamic work. In addition, considering I drive through my legs so hard to bench, could the dynamic work of squatting and deadlifting enhance that ability. Plus it would just be a good way to get my body adjusted to those exercises again.

    I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
    Even though I hate the traditional dynamic work, I actually think this is a good idea. The reason is because it forces you to start light and make smaller jumps going back up (plus decent amount of volume if you don't like doing many reps per set by doing multiple sets of low reps instead). That's probably the most important thing in not going super heavy too fast and risk injury again. Besides, you always have the option of working up heavier on any given day that feels good.
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

  7. #7
    Super Moderator vdizenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,370
    Quote Originally Posted by April Mathis View Post
    Even though I hate the traditional dynamic work, I actually think this is a good idea. The reason is because it forces you to start light and make smaller jumps going back up (plus decent amount of volume if you don't like doing many reps per set by doing multiple sets of low reps instead). That's probably the most important thing in not going super heavy too fast and risk injury again. Besides, you always have the option of working up heavier on any given day that feels good.
    Yep, that was my thought. Thanks for the contribution April.


    Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

    My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

    "The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

  8. #8
    Westside Bencher Travis Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Westside Barbell, OH
    Posts
    8,920
    I squat and deadlift, but on a much lower intensity scale than I do bench. I don't know that DE squat only will help much in the way of benching but if it keeps you squatting and healthy at the same time that might be a win win


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

  9. #9
    Super Moderator vdizenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    I squat and deadlift, but on a much lower intensity scale than I do bench. I don't know that DE squat only will help much in the way of benching but if it keeps you squatting and healthy at the same time that might be a win win
    Maybe I'll work it up into a higher percentage sometimes like some of the CAT work I see lately. I may also do a finisher set of reps here and there.


    Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

    My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

    "The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Similar Threads

  1. Confusion on dynamic effort
    By DontTakeEmOff31 in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-23-2012, 08:27 PM
  2. Dynamic effort training
    By The J-Man in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-14-2010, 07:54 AM
  3. Dynamic effort training
    By The J-Man in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-12-2010, 09:26 AM
  4. Dynamic effort for non-big 3 lifts?
    By Notorious in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-26-2008, 04:32 PM
  5. Dynamic Effort
    By Levantar in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-22-2007, 04:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •