Thread: Ketonic Diets

Ketonic Diets

This a high fat diet, with a moderate protein and a very low carbohydrate intake. A typical ketogenic meal includes a small amount of protein, a source of natural fats (for example, butter, cream sauce, olive oil, or coconut oil) and some green leafy vegetables.

If somebody have result with this type of diet please share with us!

Plenty of research on ketogenic diets out there, they've only been around since 1918 (officially). I've gone from 464 to 280 using cyclical approaches, always very low carb, mixing up the time frames of the keto and such.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I went on a keto/paleo type diet last summer. Went from 230lb to 200lb in 5 months.

I strived for a 50/50 ratio of fat to protein, and probably ended up with the protein intake being higher than fat, simply because I didn't want to supplement fat. IE, I would grill up a steak for dinner, and not worry about adding oils or tricking it out. That's more protein than fat.

I'm not sure if a higher fat level is a good idea. This is even more true for Those of us who lift.
    The reason why the diet works and you are less likely to hit the wall and raise your body's metabolic digestive efficiency (for creating calories to store) is because of the conversion of your metabolism to keto-genesis (conversion of energy from fat) and gluconeogenesis (energy from protein) away from carbohydrate metabolism that we are all typically on in the SAD (standard american diet) which converts energy from carbs and sugars.
    I am not a nutritionist, but in my limited understanding of a keto diet, if your fat intake ratio gets too high, the liver still tries to convert protein into energy by robbing the body's protein stores. This is bad for obvious reasons. The ideal situation is to provide enough protein for this as well as for sustaining growth and recuperation, and provide the fat intake to maintain the reliance on ketone metabolism for energy, so that between meals when ingested fat lowers, your system searches for the fat stores on the body to metabolize instead.

To two great things about this diet that i have noticed are, first, unlike any other diet or program I have been on, belly fat doesn't wait until last to leave. Ketogenesis really seems to prefer adipose visceral fat. But this is just my personal experience.
    The second thing is a noticeable reduction in digestive tract inflammation and gas production. Yeast and other natural flora that metabolize carbohydrates produce CO2 and other gases as byproducts. One week after quitting the diet, I regretted it.
    'In order to alter the inertial mass of weights, you must become one with them, like a machine, the totality of your motion is as one'

I've lost about 60lbs since January eating paleo. ]No exercise at all either, as I had been unable to walk due a back/leg injury. Just the past couple weeks I'm able to walk around and of course work out again, but I went to the doctor and I went from 273 lbs to 215 apparently just from the diet. Of course I lost muscle and strength as well but since I was recuperating I figured it was just going to be more for me to accomplish again

edit - diarrhea has been an issue though :/
    Last edited by dasfonzie; 06-06-2014 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zen View Post
    I went on a keto/paleo type diet last summer. Went from 230lb to 200lb in 5 months.

I strived for a 50/50 ratio of fat to protein, and probably ended up with the protein intake being higher than fat, simply because I didn't want to supplement fat. IE, I would grill up a steak for dinner, and not worry about adding oils or tricking it out. That's more protein than fat.

I'm not sure if a higher fat level is a good idea. This is even more true for Those of us who lift.
    The reason why the diet works and you are less likely to hit the wall and raise your body's metabolic digestive efficiency (for creating calories to store) is because of the conversion of your metabolism to keto-genesis (conversion of energy from fat) and gluconeogenesis (energy from protein) away from carbohydrate metabolism that we are all typically on in the SAD (standard american diet) which converts energy from carbs and sugars.
    I am not a nutritionist, but in my limited understanding of a keto diet, if your fat intake ratio gets too high, the liver still tries to convert protein into energy by robbing the body's protein stores. This is bad for obvious reasons. The ideal situation is to provide enough protein for this as well as for sustaining growth and recuperation, and provide the fat intake to maintain the reliance on ketone metabolism for energy, so that between meals when ingested fat lowers, your system searches for the fat stores on the body to metabolize instead.

To two great things about this diet that i have noticed are, first, unlike any other diet or program I have been on, belly fat doesn't wait until last to leave. Ketogenesis really seems to prefer adipose visceral fat. But this is just my personal experience.
    The second thing is a noticeable reduction in digestive tract inflammation and gas production. Yeast and other natural flora that metabolize carbohydrates produce CO2 and other gases as byproducts. One week after quitting the diet, I regretted it.
    Have you regained the weight or been able to keep it off (or did you go back to a ketogenic diet)?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I dropped 17 lbs in 8 weeks on a keto diet. I have since added pre workout carbs and have maintained my weight for 3 weeks now. I love keto dieting. It just works for me. I actually feel better and function better without carbs. After my meet in a month I will go back to full keto to drop an additional 25 lbs.

I actually had to add some more fat to my diet. I was losing weight too quickly at 50/50. It is without a doubt the easiest diet for me to follow and adjust.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo