Thread: speed work or rep work

speed work or rep work

The other day I did rep work instead of DE. Mostly because I'm still nursing my hamstring and benched with my legs up. Didn't seem like speed would work really well for me without the leg drive. Anyway, I am seeing more and more guys work reps. I was thinking I was going to go by feel and use either one or the other on my second bench day. I'd be curious to hear some thoughts on that.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    I believe it is advantageous to cycle in Repetition effort instead of dynamic effort from time to time.

I've had success doing a 3 DE on 2 RE on Split. My First RE movement was usually heavy dumbbells in the 8-10 range leaving 1-2 reps in the tank. I am a raw lifter for what its worth.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

There are two schools of thought. Some will say that you don't need to do DE or not as much while others will say that the assistance section is the RE section.

Isn't rep work just heavier speed work? Not really but in some way it can be. Its lighter and you pushing hard. I would run with it. Wasn't Westside doing sets of 5 for DE work
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

i switched to a rep day using various combinations of exercises. I'm still going fairly heavy, either working up to a triple or doing multiple sets of 3-5 at a top weight. If i feel like i'm slowing down ill do speed work again.
    2000 or bust

Part of this depends on what you are doing on your other bench day.

For beginners, something you clearly are not, probably the answer can be both DE work followed by rep work. But keep in mind the lower the level of strength the less stress is able to be applied to the body. 50% of a 300 raw bench is much less than 50% of 600. So 8 doubles of 150 is much less taxing than 300 for 8 sets of doubles.

If you are doing a traditional max effort 1st bench workout with a lot of volume, then what are you recovered enough to do on the 2nd bench workout? If you are still beat up, what hits you harder submax (say never to failure) rep work? speed work or really hard rep work (1 rep short of or to failure)?

On the other side, when you've done speed work in the past do you feel recovered in time for your next ME bench workout?

Have you felt a big carry over from speed work in the past?

I don't have the experience or exact knowledge to have the answers but following your log and radio show in the past, you probably have the experience to work it through.

Sometimes DE work has left me a little too beat up for ME work and vice versa. RE work does not beat up my cns as badly, hence I can recover better. To me it's almost like a deload in a non traditional sense. Too often delaods become almost like a blow off session for me, that's why I really don't do them. I'd rather work to reps. It gives me a goal to take seriously and provides various training benefits in my opinion.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Rep work is great. If you need to take off DE work for a short period of time to recover I could see replacing it with RE work. Ive thought about taking out the speed work in the past and replacing it with RE work, but the majority of the training (everything after the ME lift and DE lift) is RE work.

We do cycle in sets of 5 for DE work but it's still with light percentages.

I've done reps on the second day instead of DE in the past and it beat me up pretty badly and I got a lot slower.

I find that when I'm training for a geared meet speed work with the football bar is very beneficial and for raw I do speed work with the straight bar.

Now on ME day I make sure I'm doing reps of one sort or another (lately close grip) so that's where I'm getting my reps in.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig New Member andrewlincoln31's Avatar
    maybe you can do both speed work or rep work its about how you manage your time and your body condition.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewlincoln31 View Post
    maybe you can do both speed work or rep work its about how you manage your time and your body condition.
    You mean do both speed work and rep work during the same session?

What are you doing for speed work vin? I know last cycle we were up to 12-15 sets with either bands and chains and i wasn't beat up at all. Obviously your weights are much higher then mine but some people just go too heavy. I read an article where chad aichs said he only uses 205-225 for speed bench and he is a pretty solid low 800 bencher.
    2000 or bust

I will often use reps in lieu of traditional speed work. I think both have their place and should be used.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!