Thread: How to do the Arnold/Scott Press correctly

How to do the Arnold/Scott Press correctly

The Arnold Press, which was originally by Larry Scott, is an exercise that is performed incorrectly every time I see someone doing . Below is a video of a Giant set I did for Delts and the 3rd exercise is the "correct" way to perform the Arnold Press/Scott Press.

Most start the movement with palms facing them and they should be in a semi-neutral grip. As you press up focus on driving out and back flexing the delt thru the entire range of motion. Don't lockout at the top.

Is there a reason for not locking out? Should I not lock out on a traditional shoulder press either? Am I over-complicating the issue?
    Ban Censors Donít Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

Quote Originally Posted by synonymous View Post
    Is there a reason for not locking out? Should I not lock out on a traditional shoulder press either? Am I over-complicating the issue?
    To keep constant tension on the delt. Most of the time when someone lockouts out on an exercise its to rest for a second. Pausing has its place, but for the most part use continuous tension where you do not pause on movements.

Looks good. The only variance I have seen from both Arnold and Larry is that the dumbbells are kept more in-line with the delts (i.e. not such a wide hand spacing).

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    To keep constant tension on the delt. Most of the time when someone lockouts out on an exercise its to rest for a second. Pausing has its place, but for the most part use continuous tension where you do not pause on movements.
    What if you were to lock out with your arms at a slight angle (Like doing a Y)? Would this keep tension on the delt AND increase the ROM? Or is there less tension still?
    Ban Censors Donít Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Looks good. The only variance I have seen from both Arnold and Larry is that the dumbbells are kept more in-line with the delts (i.e. not such a wide hand spacing).
    The wide hand spacing is to place the hand directly above the elbow for optimal load distribution on the delt. The more narrow hand spacing doesn't keep near as much tension on the delt IMO as I have experimented with both.

Quote Originally Posted by synonymous View Post
    What if you were to lock out with your arms at a slight angle (Like doing a Y)? Would this keep tension on the delt AND increase the ROM? Or is there less tension still?
    For this particular movement you are not shooting for the biggest ROM you are trying to get the most activation and tension and that doesn't always mean moving the weight further, even though ROM is a bit different for everyone. Moving in a Y pattern can work its just not an Arnold press, but can still be effective

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    For this particular movement you are not shooting for the biggest ROM you are trying to get the most activation and tension and that doesn't always mean moving the weight further, even though ROM is a bit different for everyone. Moving in a Y pattern can work its just not an Arnold press, but can still be effective
    Yeah, I wasn't saying it was incorrect, just a variance.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!