The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

BigB's Cutting Journey

Alright everyone this is going to be my first journal and i'm pretty pumped! I fractured 2 vertebrae in my lower back about 3.5 months ago and now I've been released to slowly start lifting weights with my lower body. Bad news is I have put on quite a bit of weight, sadly. I've gone from 185-215 in a little over a year, and i'm tired of it so this will be the road to losing the weight. My squats will be low in the beginning and i won't be deadlifting for probably another month(Doctors orders.) The plan is to weigh in every Sunday morning. I'm not huge on weighing a lot, messes with the mind!

Current Stats
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 215
    Bf%: 20%

1RM
    Bench: 260
    Squat: 315
    Deadlift: 385

Diet/Macros
    In the beginning nothing special but after i get into this cut i will probably be starting Intermittent Fasting, I've had success in the past with it and will eventually start back on it.

Macros go as follows:
    Protein: 185g
    Fat: 60g
    Carbs: 160g

I'll be trying to hit these everyday which will be about 1900kcals. But there will be low carb days and some alterations like that. These are just the main macros. My diet won't be super strict everyday, but it's not going to be loose either.

Workout
    Since i take a weightlifting as a class during school i'll have that be my weightlifting workout, it's only a 45 minute class sadly but it'll do. I'll be following my coaches training program which consists of 4 weightlifting days(Mon-Thurs) and Friday will be usually some sort of cardio or a lightweight full body circuit.

As for cardio.. I'll be trying to get in about 4 days a week. Most of the sessions will be HIIT on the treadmill or some other treadmill work. Once it gets warmer outside ill be running or biking. I absolutely hate cardio with a passion so this will be tough haha. I have a sneaky suspension i will be suffering through the first week or so of cardio. Since i haven't had a hardcore cardio session since before i got hurt during football.

Goals
    The main goal for right now will be to get down around 190lbs. As for body fat i'd like to be in between 14-16%. I know i'm going to be sacraficing some muscle during the cut but my main focus will be strengthening my lower and upper back, this has always been a weakness for me. I am also hoping to be squatting like i used to by the end of this cycle.

I'm planning on cutting until the end of school and seeing where my progress is by then. I'm mainly doing this journal for personal motivation but feel free to comment, critique, and make suggestions! I'm always ready to learn!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Monday 1-6

Chest Day today, just wasn't the normal day. Wasn't feeling it at all, couldn't finish any sets that i usually do with ease. I'm gonna guess it is because I haven't lifted weights for 3 weeks due to wisdom teeth surgery and holidays. Anyways here it is..

Bench Press: 135x10, 175x10, 185x6, 195x5, 165x8
    Flat Bench DB Flys: 25'sx3x8
    Decline Bench Press: 135x2x10 <----- Usually get 135 4 sets, like i said just feeling don today.
    Military Press: 95x3x5
    One Arm Incline DB Press: 30'sx2x8 Each arms

Cardio: 15 minutes on treadmill walk/run combo. Felt better than i thought it would.

Macros for the Day:
    Protein:140
    Fat:55
    Carbs:166
    Ended up right at 1700 kcals. Good diet overall today.

Pretty good first day. Weights should come around slowly. Off to the next day!

Wannabebig Member
    Monday 1-7

Today was a way better workout than yesterday. I drank a protein shake for lunch which is about 30 minutes before i worked out and for some reason i feel this credited to my energy, but who knows. On the other hand my diet suffered, went out to eat with buddies and broke down and hat 2 McDoubles at Mcds, that place is the devil. Definitely a mistake and won't be doing that again anytime soon.

Workout

Tri Extensions: 40sx3x12, Dropset 35sx20. SuperSet with EZ Bar Curls: 50x4x10
    Split Squat: 115x3x10
    Skull Crushers: 55x3x8
    DB Single Arm Tri Extensions: 20sx3x6-8 Each Arm
    Finished with about 10 minutes of Abs

I feel like I'm forgetting an exercise or two but that was most of it. Didn't get any cardio in today, double time tomorrow. I feel like I just don't have enough time in my weights class for what i'd like to get done, nothing i can do though, just work faster i guess.

Macros
    Fat: 82
    Protein:163
    Carbs: 180

Ended up a little over 2000 calories. Not terrible but I didn't get many good fats from that poo Mcdonalds.

Wannabebig Member
    Wednesday 1-8

Today was a pretty good day overall, great workout and decently good diet today. Been getting quite a bit more energy with drinking my shake at lunch. I'll probably continue this for awhile. Nothing special today, here we go.

Workout-Back

Bent Over Rows: Warm up, 115x8, 125x8, 135-3x5
    Reverse Grip Bent Over Rows: 135-3x5
    Dumbbell Pullover: 25x8. 30x8, 35x8
    Trap Bar Shrugs: 135-4x10
    Assisted Wide Grip Pull Ups: 5x5
    Bent Over Single Arm Dumbbell Row(Each Arm): 40x8, 45x2x8, Dropset 35x20

Felt Like a great workout, may not look like much but felt good.

Macros
    Fat:69
    Carbs:138
    Protein:196

Endud Up at 1806 calories.

Cardio: All I did for cardio today was a few stair laps before weights, after school i was just drained. Plus i had to work after that.

So, Pretty solid day in my opinion! Haven't seen many notcable results bu ti'm not really expecting them as of yet.

Wannabebig Member
    Thursday 1-9

Hit up a good healthy set of squats for the first time in about 2 months today, and it felt great! I feel like i'm slowly getting back into it. Diet today wasn't great but wasn't terrible. Didn't eat much for supper, had cereal and that's about it.

Workout-Legs & Shoulders
    Leg Curls: 50x10, 50x10, 50x 8+2
    Front Raises(5 from a neutral grip then five from normal grip): 20x10, 20x 10, 20x10
    Squats: 135x12, 145x10, 155x8, 165x6, 155x8, 135x10
    Dumbbell Rear Lateral Raises, small incline: 15x3x6-8, 10x7
    Upright Row: 45x8, 55x8. 55x8
    Military Press: 95x8, 105x6, 110x5+1

Realized today i really need to focus on my posterior delts my strength just isn't there. Workout though felt good overall.

Macros
    Fat:49
    Protein:123
    Carb:196

Way to many carbs today and not enough proteins but i just need to focus more on m diet. Skipped cardio again and felt pretty damn guilty, gotta make sure i get into it tomorrow.

Wannabebig Member
    Friday 1-10

Today was mostly a recovery day. Hit up Ab Ripper X during weights today, a small 10 minutes chest/tricep workout, and some stretching. No cardio. Other than that not much going on. Probably going to do one more week of regular dieting and then start Intermittent Fasting. Good news is my hunger is starting to go away between meals, haven't felt like I was starving for awhile.

Macros

Fat: 39g
    Carbs: 249g
    Protein: 141g

Calories: 1803
    Tried to keep fats low and had kind of a carb overload day i guess you could say. Not a terrible day overall

Crikey, its a 30 foot ape! Kong's Avatar
    Good stuff mate. Why are your calories so low?
    Current 1RM's - Bench 264lbs (Target 308lbs)/Squat 396lbs (Target 352lbs)/
    Deadlift 429lbs (Target 440lbs)
    BIG 3 TOTAL at 220lbs (28% BF) = 1089lbs
    6ft 2, 234lb fat, hairy ape!
    My journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...sion-of-an-ape

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kong View Post
    Good stuff mate. Why are your calories so low?
    Mainly because i'm trying to maximize my weight loss in a short amount of time due to power lifting.

Sunday 1-12

So I go some great news on Saturday, my coach told me i'll be able to compete in the first power lifting meet this year. It surprised because most high school meets won't let you in without being in at least 3 lifts. So my meet will be January 25th with the weigh-in on the 23rd. The bad news is I will be in the 198lb weight class, although there is a 5lb working limit since it is considered a pre-season meet I will still need to be at 203. So I'll roughly need to cut about 10-15 lbs in less than 2 weeks, but it can be done. So you are probably going to see me having way low calorie levels than needed but its something i need to do. The plan is to keep protein levels as high as possible and carbs low, the only carbs i should be having is from fruits and vegetables. Cardio will be higher this next couple of weeks. Wish me luck!

As for workouts this weekend all i did was a yoga session on saturday and a stretch session today.

Diet was pretty rough on Saturday. Sunday i didn't eat much besides some pizza for supper.

Is your coach managing your macros or just your lifting? You may want to look in to carb cycling or something along those lines to keep strength up as much as possible. I honestly can't see you going much lower calorie wise than what you're doing already. You're going to end up losing weight yes...but you're also going to compromise any possible strength gains. Doing cardio 4 days a week plus lifting 4 days with a 5th accessory type day, you should be hitting some higher numbers at the table. I see pizza and McDonalds in here, which makes me think the calories you are getting are garbage calories. When I first started my lifelong cutting journey at 464 pounds I simply cut out junk food and started on a whole foods kick, got in to the upper 300's, then started keto and carb cycling and still running that now at the 280's looking for the 260's by meet time in May. I think you'd have a good shot hitting your weight by dropping carbs for that period of time but keep fat and protein up, with water intake up as well bud.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Is your coach managing your macros or just your lifting? You may want to look in to carb cycling or something along those lines to keep strength up as much as possible. I honestly can't see you going much lower calorie wise than what you're doing already. You're going to end up losing weight yes...but you're also going to compromise any possible strength gains. Doing cardio 4 days a week plus lifting 4 days with a 5th accessory type day, you should be hitting some higher numbers at the table. I see pizza and McDonalds in here, which makes me think the calories you are getting are garbage calories. When I first started my lifelong cutting journey at 464 pounds I simply cut out junk food and started on a whole foods kick, got in to the upper 300's, then started keto and carb cycling and still running that now at the 280's looking for the 260's by meet time in May. I think you'd have a good shot hitting your weight by dropping carbs for that period of time but keep fat and protein up, with water intake up as well bud.
    Thanks very much for the advice, greatly appreciated. Besides those slip ups I've cut out junk food entirely and now that i know I'll be able to power lift i will be completely cutting them out. I understand i'm going to lose some muscle but this will be the only time ill be losing this much weight so fast. My plan is to go low carbs a day or 2 then kick up the carbs for a day that way i don't lose too much muscle. Being this is a pre-season meet and the real deal doesn't start till mid February I'm not super worried. But I really appreciate the advice. helps me so much! I'm trying to get 1.5 to 2 gallons of water per day as well, peeing like a racehorse!

Wannabebig Member
    Monday 1-13

Good day overall, weighed in this morning at 215 which means I have 12 pounds to lose. I'm feeling pretty confident. I plan on keeping carbs down today and tomorrow and raising them up on Wednesday. Workout felt great though today.

Workout

Bench Press
    Warm-Up
    170x8
    185x8
    195x5 dropset 135x9

Incline DB Press/ SS Leg Curls
    40'sx3x8/ 50x3x10

Decline Flyes
    20x8
    25x8
    25x8

DB Rear Lateral Raise
    15x3x8

Cardio: 10 Minutes of Running(.95 miles), 10 Minutes of Stationary Cycling, 2 Sets of Pushups, Crunches, Mountain Climbers. 5 Minute Walk

Overall about 30 minutes of Cardio.

Macros/Diet
    Fat: 26g
    Carbs: 52g
    Proteins: 120g
    Calories right at 1,000. I know its way to low but i can't end up missing this meet. I'll do whatever it takes.

Workout was short and sweet but felt good. Cardio sucked like normal but i got through it. Good day overall!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=brian+carroll+cutting+weight

Don't be offended by the lmgtfy link, it's just easier for me to use. Look at those links it pulls up for Brian Carrol's Cutting Weight E-Book. May be something you want to look in to. Typically crashing for a meet in a week or so, you're not going to lose muscle just like you're not going to put on muscle in that week. But, when you're already low calorie going in to an ultra low calorie phase, I'm curious how that'll work for you. Hopefully you'll see good things from it. I don't think you'll have much trouble dropping those 12 pounds in the time frame man. Should be good to go.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=brian+carroll+cutting+weight

Don't be offended by the lmgtfy link, it's just easier for me to use. Look at those links it pulls up for Brian Carrol's Cutting Weight E-Book. May be something you want to look in to. Typically crashing for a meet in a week or so, you're not going to lose muscle just like you're not going to put on muscle in that week. But, when you're already low calorie going in to an ultra low calorie phase, I'm curious how that'll work for you. Hopefully you'll see good things from it. I don't think you'll have much trouble dropping those 12 pounds in the time frame man. Should be good to go.
    Ill look into this. I'm just hoping it works out good for me and i don't absolutely suck or anything. Thanks for the help though its much appreciated!

Tuesday 1-14

As for today it was good besides the fact I didnt get any cardio in besides a brisk 15 minute walk in the A.M. Not very worried about it because i felt pretty good during my weights routine.

Weight:213.8

Workout (Tricep, Bicep/ Light Legs
    Split Squat
    135x10
    175x8 (Felt pretty good just didn't think my back was quite ready for it.)
    165x8
    135x10

Tri Extensions/ SS EZ Bar Curls
    40x3x10/ 50x4x8 (Added a set to bis, didn't feel like I had the pump i wanted.)

Tricep Weighted Dips
    Body Weightx10
    BW+35x10
    BW+35x 8+2

Alternating DB Curl
    30x10
    35x10
    40x6

Skull Crushers/ SS Diamond Pushups
    55x8/ 8 Pushups
    55x8/ 7 Pushups
    55x6/ 4 Pushups ( Killed the Tris)

Military Press
    95x8
    105x7
    105x6 dropset 75x10

Cardio: 15 minute walk

Macros/Diet
    Fat: 63g
    Carbs: 77g
    Protein: 119g
    1,351 Calories. Honestly didn't want to eat much today, was planning on having way higher protein but just couldn't bring myself to eat at supper.

Decent day. Ready for tomorrow begging to flippin love back days!

Wannabebig Member
    Wednesday 1-15

Didn't track macros today but I'm guessing they were close to the same as yesterdays. Good workout today although. Weigh-In tomorrow and see where my progress is. The official weigh-in will be next Friday.

Workout- Back

Trap Shrugs
    45lb plates- 1x15, 2x12
    135 on Barbellx10
    180x8

Bent Over Rows
    95x10
    105x8
    115x8

Supinated Grip Rows
    115x8
    125x2x8

DB One Arm Rows
    40sx6
    45x3x6

Negative Wide Grip Pull-Ups
    3x8

Good pump on the back today, no macros today or cardio. I have GOT to get motivated for cardio.

Wannabebig Member
    Thursday 1-16

Workout-Legs
    Squat
    Warmup
    155x10
    165x8
    185x2x6

Arnold Press
    35sx4x10

DB Rear Lateral Raise/ SS Front Raises
    15sx8/ 20sx12
    15sx6/ 20sx10
    10sx10/ 20sx10 (Could of gone harder on this.)

Leg Curls
    50x3x10

Arnold Curls
    25sx8
    30x2x6

Probably should of focused more on shoulders today than i actually did. Forgot to do military press.

Cardio: About 12 minutes of HIIT and a few circuits of burpees, pushups, lateral jumps, and bodyweight squats.

Macros/Diet
    Fat: 45g
    Carbs: 109g
    Protein: 97g
    1211 Cals. Ate healthy today but didn't focus a lot on macros, i'm getting nervous for weigh-in I just haven't seen major weight loss yet. Might have to lower calories way down next week.

Wannabebig Member
    Hey guys sorry for the lack of posting these last couple of days I've just been so caught up in work and some other junk and haven't had time to post. The last couple days haven't been anything special, cardio here and there. Diet was alright through the weekend but not where i wanted it exactly. Didn't lift today because we didn't have school. I'll start my routine tomorrow though.

I'm going to assume you want feedback, since you're posting in a journal and all, so here's my advice again.

Your calories are stupid low. You're not going to benefit in the long term. You're not going to give yourself a strength platform to build off of later on down the road. You need to learn proper nutrition and what works for your body. Fuck the weigh in, what good is it to weigh in at the magic number you wanted if you end up with the strength of a 12 year old girl? Powerlifting and a very low calorie diet don't really go together in the long term.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Wannabebig Member
    I'm glad you brought that up Mark, I guess I forgot to mention i'm gunna lift in the 220 class for this meet. Pretty much what you just told me has been my thoughts for the last week. ALthough I am still gunna try to get down to 198 by my next meet but that not for 2 months and if i dont get there big deal, 220 it is.

Tuesday 1-21

Workout-Chest

DB Flys
    25x10
    25x2x8

Rear Lateral Raise/ SS Push-Ups
    15x10/ 10
    15x8/ 10
    15x8/ 10

Bench
    170x6
    180x2x6 (Not sure but i absolutely sucked it up on bench today. Could be to low calories not entirely sure.)

DB Pullovers
    30x10
    35x10
    35x10

Incline DB Bench
    45x10
    45x9
    45x9 (My weightroom has no heavier dumbbells so I can't get any heavier)

Cardio was 15 minutes on the treadmill then a bunch of random abs, pushups, BW squats and so on.

Diet was pretty solid, carbs a little higher than protein but overall a good day.

Awesome man. Bad days happen on the bench, and anywhere else for that matter. I always tell myself bad days in the gym make for good days in meets, so long as you recover and kick ass the next go round. I'm glad you're going to stick with 220's. It's hard to worry about making weight for a meet that's less than 10 weeks out if you've got more than 20 pounds to go. Just go in, feel good and lift good. Getting down to 198's won't be a problem, but slow and steady wins the race.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Wannabebig Member
    Big thanks Mark! Love the slow and steady by the way, I live by that! I'm gonna see how i do at this meet and decide if i need to drop a weight class. I feel like the 2 months dropping 15 lbs will be way easier haha. Probably just going to get about a 3-500 calorie deficit. Shouldn't lose to much muscle though!

Wednesday 1-22

Split Squat
    135x10
    175x5x5

Tri Extensions/ SS Leg Curls
    40sx12/ 50x8
    45sx10/ 50x8
    45sx10/ 60x8
    45x10/ 60x6

Military Press
    95x5
    115x5
    95x6
    95x5( Couldn't Handle the heavier weight which was odd. Gotta keep working on this exercise.)

Tri Dips/ SS Close Grip Bench
    BWx12/ 95x10
    BWx10/ 135x7
    BWx10/ 135x6 (Just a light day on Close grip.)

Single Arm Tri Extensions/ SS Bicep Curls
    15x8 Each arm/ 30sx10
    20x8/ 35sx8
    20x7/ 35sx8

Todays workout was i guesss geared for triceps and arms in general. Didn't focus on one main group. Going to try to deadlift for the first time since surgery tomorrow so lets hope that goes well. Squats felt great today hopefully one more week and i'll be back to doing normal weight.

Cardio: 15 minutes of HIIT, 10 Minutes of Bike

Macros
    132 P/ 158 C/ 45 F

Need to up my protein intake for sure and lower my carb, i'm not to depressed with fats though today.

Wannabebig Member
    Thursday 1-23

Had a good workout today but an absolutely horrendous diet. Had taco bell for supper, felt guilty as hell for it. No cardio as well. But i'll bounce back better tomorrow.

Workout-Back

Bent Over Rows
    95x10
    115x8
    135x5x5( THis 5x5 set felt great!)
    Stripset 115x6, 95x10

Trap Shrugs
    45sx4x12

Supinated Bent Over Rows
    95x8
    135x3x6

EZ Bar Bicep Curls
    Ladder of 5's (1,2,3,4,5,5,4,3,2,1)

Negative Wide Grip Pull-Ups
    3x5

Ab Work

I feel like i'm forgetting some stuff but you get the idea.

Macros

110 P/ 221 C/ 72 F

Wannabebig Member
    Great workout today with legs, got cut short though. I'm just happy my I can squat with no pain in my back again. heaviest weight in 3 months I put up today.

Workout- Legs/Shoulders
    Squat
    135x8
    175x6
    185x6
    195x6
    175x6

Front Raises/ SS Quad Curls
    20sx12/ 80x8
    25sx10/ 90x8
    25sx10/ 90x8

Shoulder Press
    25sx8
    30sx6
    30sx8
    30sx8

Like I said it got cut short i had a few more leg exercises to go.

Macros so far for the day..
    32 P/ 22 F/ 62 C
    Still have supper to go.

Wannabebig Member
    Monday 1-27
    So the meet saturday went way better than expected. There was only like 7 guys in my 220 division and 3 of them looked like the Pillsbury dough boy haha. I was the first one to lift in my division since all the others were doing other lifts, I pushed up 260 on my 2nd attempt easy which was my max in December so i thought I would try 270. Got it up about a quarter of the way and i just gave out. I finished up getting 3rd which was crazy with the winning bench being 285. Although I had luck i still feel 198 will be way better for me. I actually talked to a powerlifting coach from another school and he suggested me some new macros and i'd get 1655 calories a day. Let me know what you think about this.

Workout
    Flat Bench
    135x10
    195x6
    210x4
    225x3
    135x12

Incline FLyes
    20sx10
    25sx10
    25sx10

Leg Curls
    50x10
    50x8
    60x8

Dumbbell Flat Bench/ SS Incline Reverse Flyes
    40sx10/ 15x8
    40sx10/ 15sx8

This got cut short because my coach told us to get some Ab work in.
    Ab work/ Pushups to failure

Cardio: 15 minutes of HIIT. Low intesity on the bike for 5 minutes

Macros
    111 P/ 34 F/ 79 C Didn't eat much supper today.

Wannabebig Member
    Tuesday 1-28

Workout Bi/Tri
    Bicep Curls/ SS Tri Extensions
    50x4x10/ 40x4x12

Close Grip Bench
    135x10
    135x10
    145x8

Skull Crushers/ SS Hammer Curls
    55x8/ 25sx8
    55x8/ 25sx8
    55x8/ 25sx8

Arnold Curls
    35x2x6
    35x3

Military Press
    95x5
    95x5
    105x5
    115x5
    115x5

No cardio today

Macros
    125 P/ 60 F/ 129 C

Wannabebig Member
    Wednesday 1-29
    Watched some bad ass powerlifting videos today and was getting me all sorts of jacked! Good workout today and finally incorporated a cardio workout almost making me wanna puke!

Workout-Back
    Bent Over Rows
    135 5x5

Dumbbell Shrug
    45sx4x15

Reverse Pull-Ups
    BWx3x5

Supinated Rows
    135x3x5

Deadlifts
    135x12
    185x10
    205x8 (First deadlifts in a long time, felt great. Bunch of tighness after but went away in a few hours.)

Cardio was P90x CardioX then a small circuit workout.

Macros
    134 P/ 50 F/ 103 C