The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Is more sweat, heat, better when in the gym?

Kind of a weird question I guess...but please bare with me

I've seen guys at the gym where the barely-a-tank-tops and my guess is that it's for comfort, less in the way during upper body workouts (Correct me if I'm wrong). Then I see guys where sweatshirts, with their hoods covering them, sweating profusely. All I could gather would be that they are doing this on purpose for some reason and I don't know why? Some guys go the extra mile and wear a baseball cap under all that.

The other day I tried the sweatshirt with hoodie. I have to say, I felt great. I was drinking WAY more water/electrolyte/BCAA drink to stay well hydrated but at the end I felt better. Perhaps a placebo effect? By sweating more am I doing something good/bad?

Also, with the hoodie up, it actually felt like I was all alone...I don't know if that's the reason others do it, but it had me more focused.

So, is a good sweat always better? Or is it doing something I don't know and should know? I also found, especially now with this cold as f**k winter that the slightest breeze that comes into the gym because somebody has decided it's hot and opens a window for a second, makes me feel a bit sick/dizzy.

Any science to this? Or is it way more simple than I'm making it out to be?
    Ban Censors Donít Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The only possible advantage would be keeping your body a bit warmer overall, but that would not make a difference in most climate controlled gyms.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I'd rather be a little warm than be too cold, but it doesn't matter much.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I wonder if there is an age correlation with the tank top crowd vs. the sweatshirt crowd?

I'm speculating that some of the older guys like the sweatshirt to keep achy joints warm or hide some aging/sagging muscle.

There are some who ignorantly dress up in more layers trying to burn more calories since they are sweating more.

Comfort, warmth. I like wearing long sleeve shirts or hoodies while getting warmed up. Especially in the garage this time of year, it's 30 degrees in there, no heat.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Im just spent 1 week in egypt, weather was like 25-30C, since where i live its 8-12C most of the year! I was so sweaty and exhausted after around 30min I had no choice but to split each workout over two days
    last meet, GPC, Irish Open: 03/11/2012
    @ 82.5kg/ 181 junior raw
    S: 192.5kg/424
    B: 130 kg/286
    D: 225kg/495
    best gym lifts:
    S: 182.5kg/400
    B: 135 kg/300
    D: 220 kg/485

Another possible reason> some guys like to cover up as they are getting leaner and freakier looking before a contest. They also don't want to show the competition what they are up against until the very day they are all up on stage.

^ That's true for a lot of the IFBB guys

For me, I hate wearing a sweatshirt or long sleeve shirt, summer or winter. However I do feel my body warm up much better in the winter when I'm wearing the warm clothes. As I get warmer I'll take it off.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym