Thread: How much weight is this?

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

How much weight is this?

Hello to all. My name is Mark and this is my first post here. I've attached a drawing that I did for a future webcomic book that I'm working on. It's called "Cycle-Bolt" and it's based on science fiction. In this attached image, I show the main character lifting weights, as he is bench pressing. I have two questions, first question is, my character is 28 years old, 6 feet 2 inches tall, and weighs around 225. He has been lifting weights since about age 15. He's also been in the military and he's fairly strong. So, on average, with this information, how much should this man be able to bench press?

Second question, in the attached image, you can see that he is lifting a very high amount of weights; probably a lot more then any average weight lifter. I drew that image to show him (after) he has received his (superpowers), that makes him more like Superman or some other super strong superhero. So my last question is, counting those plates on the bar, how much weight does that come out to? How much weight is he lifting in that image? Just a ballpark guess would be fine. Thank you very much for answering my two questions.

Page12_panel5.jpg

It all depends on the person for your first question.

In your picture, weights can vary depending on several things. But from a basic approach, assuming the biggest plates on there are 45lb each, you're superman is benching below 300lb lol.
    (Raw)
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

He's benching 290lbs. Provided it's a Olympic Bar and those are Olympic plates.........................

See image for reference:

http://www.thebenchpress.com/shop/images/OSSPLATEL.jpg
    "to teach God's word, by his own example; that we must Love all things that God made" - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

DL: 375 RAW No Belt, No Wraps, No nothing!
    SQ: 325 RAW " " "
    BP: 220 RAW " " "

Total: 920 hahaha Not quite a 1000lbs (This was done back in 2008 )

Wannabebig Member
    Okay, here's a new drawing of the same guy but I changed the plates to where he is suppose to be lifting 1,000 pounds. Does this image look more correct?

panel12.jpg
    Last edited by mark33; 01-25-2014 at 01:42 PM.

If you intended those to be 100 lb plates each, yes. (1,045 lb to be exact).
    If they are 45's, it would be 495 lb.
    Last edited by Jonathan E; 01-25-2014 at 02:38 PM.
    (Raw)
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Wannabebig Member
    Do those look like 100 pound plates? Or do they look too small?

They look like 45's, and your wording "is twice as strong" yet used to bench 300. Sorry, I know it's a comic, and doesn't have to be accurate, which is mostly why I never got in to them.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Wannabebig Member
    I see your point about the "twice as strong" wording. I'll change that text to be more accurate to 1,000 pounds worth of plates. I guess I'll have to make those plates larger. Thanks for helping me with this info.

Wannabebig Member
    Okay, third try should be the charm. Does this look like 1,000 pounds?

1000pounds.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mark33 View Post
    Okay, third try should be the charm. Does this look like 1,000 pounds?

1000pounds.jpg
    That looks ok, but if you are going to including markings why not make it realistic and mark the plates as 100 lbs (the weight listed on the sides of the plates) and change the total to 1,045 lbs?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    That looks ok, but if you are going to including markings why not make it realistic and mark the plates as 100 lbs (the weight listed on the sides of the plates) and change the total to 1,045 lbs?
    Okay, I'll try to change both marking plates on the sides to where they both read 100 pounds. I'll also change the text in the yellow box to read 1,045 pounds, then I'll post one more picture for approval. Thanks for the help.

You sir are extremely talented.