Thread: Brandon Lilly injured at LA Fit Expo

Brandon Lilly injured at LA Fit Expo

I don't wish this on anybody, best of luck brother!!!

http://www.lift.net/2014/01/26/brand...y-la-fit-expo/
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

I've been on the road for a few days but I did catch this yesterday. That is a massive injury and I'm really sad to see it happen to Brandon.

Stuff like that takes years to come back from. Hopefully Brandon can overcome and get back into the game.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I have never met Brandon, but I know he has helped/inspired many lifters. Like Brian said, I wouldn't wish that on anyone and unfortunately given the nature of what we do, this could happen to any of us at any time. I was thinking of going on a rant today about something in that video and I wasn't sure where to put it. Now, that is the only squat video I have seen from this meet. From what I have heard, that meet is pretty high profile and legit and obviously it attracted some high quality lifters. Brandon's injury was a freak thing that happened out of nowhere and there was no way the spotters could have prevented that.

That being said, that spotting is complete Bush League bullshit. I have been competing in various federations for almost 12 years now. I have lifted single ply, multiply and raw. I have worked in the platform crew many times and I have judged many times. How in the hell does a meet director just grab random people to spot at these meets? Perhaps in this case the injuries would have been the same, but if those spotters were all properly trained and in position the whole way maybe they could have prevented further injury to Brandon's legs. This is absolutely not on the spotters, this is on the meet director. None of them were in proper position. I was lucky enough to be taught how to spot by seasoned lifters and I have regularly spotted max effort squats even up to 1100+ lbs. proper positioning and everyone being on the same page is key. Meet directors need to take this aspect of running a meet more seriously. I have been at meets where if one of our guys was lifting and they had inexperienced spotters like those, we would just tell them to move and spot our friends ourselves. I have also done this with people I never met if I felt they weren't safe with the crew that was on the platform.

I realize a lot goes into running a meet. I realize that people make promises and things fall through. But you are the meet director. Your number one goal should be lifter safety. These are the people who are paying you and they should know that you are going to have a solid crew to keep them safe on the platform. Just like there is a rules briefing before the meet, there should be a platform crew meeting and if anyone isn't properly trained they should be before the meet starts.

My best wishes for Brandon Lilly, I wish you a full and speedy recovery. I am very sorry to see this happen to any lifter, regardless of fame or ability.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Brandon has been the most selfless person when it comes to offering advice and helping others. His contributions to the sport are huge, and he's still busting his ass to make this sport better and get more recognition. When I saw this yesterday, well it just sucks. I'm hoping he can come back in a few years with a full recovery and then some.

I also agree with Chris. There are too many spotters that are improperly trained to spot these huge weights, or any lifters 1rm+. If the meet isn't going to put on a spotters class or briefing, the spotters need to get on youtube and look at the big weights being moved and decide what is and what is not proper spotting. If that rear spotter would have caught him the way his (the spotters) feet were planted, he would have forced Brandon, the weight, and himself forward.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Definitely a freak accident. Tough for any spotter to catch that.

But, I'm used to seeing 4-5 guys spotting around the big squats. Usually when there are some world records you can never see the side shot due to the spotters. I only saw a pair of guys, and they didn't look like big hefty dudes. Plus they were far away from the bar. I thought a good spot has them ready to get their whole body behind and under the plates?

Regardless, if this takes Brandon away from the platform, I hope he can continue all his work coaching and developing the sport.

Yeah you can't really blame that on the spotters.

Actually if you watch the video they both actually caught it on the way down but the momentum at that point was just too much. I've actually seen guys tear bicep tendons catching weight.

Unless there is just something I'm not seeing in that video, I really don't see how that one is on the spotters.

That said, many meet directors should be much more choosy when picking spotters. Anymore when benching I don't allow anyone but my own guys from the westside spot me. It's far too dangerous.

A similar injury happened to Jim Benson at a meet not quite a year ago that my wife and I were at. Terrible accident but they even had straps there from the mono that caught the weight and his knee still totally let go. I think he's able to walk around now but he's still miles away from squatting. This is a risky sport. Crap happens. Sometimes you can't blame anyone or anything you just have to accept it happened.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=efl5XRbof_M&app=m

Travis, That is Dan Green's meet vid. Look at the positioning of the spotters. Same as in Brandon's video. Are you telling me that this is how the guys at Westside would spot their teammates? No, they would be in proper position, with physically capable spotters to do everything they can to keep the lifters safe. Just like you said you get your own spotters for bench, they would have their own guys get those inexperienced spotters outta there. Look at any of the Lillibridge squat videos. They spot each other the way it should be done.
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the fact that he was wearing knee sleeves, not wraps...
    last meet, GPC, Irish Open: 03/11/2012
    @ 82.5kg/ 181 junior raw
    S: 192.5kg/424
    B: 130 kg/286
    D: 225kg/495
    best gym lifts:
    S: 182.5kg/400
    B: 135 kg/300
    D: 220 kg/485

Chris I just think you are oversimplifying it a little as it relates to Brandon's situation.

I'm not arguing that the spotters were executing perfect technique.

What I am arguing is that even had they been in a more effective position, when that much weight drops that fast there isn't much anyone is going to be able to do. Like I said, same thing happened to junior last year. The spotters were in much better position

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dQTn_aUWaA

I hate posting another lifters injury video because I don't like seeing other guys getting hurt but it proves my point.

Like I said, I'm not saying the spotters for Brandon were doing a good job, however even if they were, with that kind of injury it wouldn't have made a huge difference. Juniors injury was only one knee. Brandon both knees and legs let go.

Travis, if you read what I wrote I said that even if they were in proper position, perhaps further injury couldn't have been prevented, but with that said THEY SHOULD STILL BE IN PROPER POSITION. That is what I am trying to say. I have caught the bar spotting on the side when people have completely bailed on the squat. If I was in the position those guys were, I wouldn't have caught anything.
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Damn,

I hope he recovers.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Quote Originally Posted by gaz90 View Post
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the fact that he was wearing knee sleeves, not wraps...
    I believe USPLA rules state only geared lifters are allowed to use wraps, he's raw so only sleeves allowed.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Hope he recovers.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    I have never met Brandon, but I know he has helped/inspired many lifters. Like Brian said, I wouldn't wish that on anyone and unfortunately given the nature of what we do, this could happen to any of us at any time. I was thinking of going on a rant today about something in that video and I wasn't sure where to put it. Now, that is the only squat video I have seen from this meet. From what I have heard, that meet is pretty high profile and legit and obviously it attracted some high quality lifters. Brandon's injury was a freak thing that happened out of nowhere and there was no way the spotters could have prevented that.

That being said, that spotting is complete Bush League bullshit. I have been competing in various federations for almost 12 years now. I have lifted single ply, multiply and raw. I have worked in the platform crew many times and I have judged many times. How in the hell does a meet director just grab random people to spot at these meets? Perhaps in this case the injuries would have been the same, but if those spotters were all properly trained and in position the whole way maybe they could have prevented further injury to Brandon's legs. This is absolutely not on the spotters, this is on the meet director. None of them were in proper position. I was lucky enough to be taught how to spot by seasoned lifters and I have regularly spotted max effort squats even up to 1100+ lbs. proper positioning and everyone being on the same page is key. Meet directors need to take this aspect of running a meet more seriously. I have been at meets where if one of our guys was lifting and they had inexperienced spotters like those, we would just tell them to move and spot our friends ourselves. I have also done this with people I never met if I felt they weren't safe with the crew that was on the platform.

I realize a lot goes into running a meet. I realize that people make promises and things fall through. But you are the meet director. Your number one goal should be lifter safety. These are the people who are paying you and they should know that you are going to have a solid crew to keep them safe on the platform. Just like there is a rules briefing before the meet, there should be a platform crew meeting and if anyone isn't properly trained they should be before the meet starts.

My best wishes for Brandon Lilly, I wish you a full and speedy recovery. I am very sorry to see this happen to any lifter, regardless of fame or ability.
    I agree with this. This spotting is horrible in this video. You stand around the plates on the side, not with your hands a foot in front of you with only your fingers to catch 750lbs. and front raise/curl it. No one is capable of doing that from that position, not the strongest lifters in the world. But with your hands around the plates, just the two side spotters alone could grab the weight and squat it back up and into the rack, even if the lifter is injured, and falls in a way that the back spotter can't do anything. I have refused to side spot at meets that asked me to spot a couple times after they asked me to spot so stupidly like the way this video is because the judge wouldn't move to see.

Yes, he would still have been injured, as the injury happened during the squat itself obviously, but I highly doubt his other knee would have been injured too if he didn't fall to the floor with the weight. 750lbs. is a lot but not a ridiculous amount of weight. I have spotted at meets and caught over 800lbs. with 3 people and over 1000-1100lbs. with 5 spotters no problem at all when the spotters all know what they are doing, even when the lifter doesn't help at all to lift it back up or has a injury/fall forward, etc.

Even though I don't know him other than hearing of his lifting and have never met him, best wishes to Brandon in surgery and recovering from this.
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

WOW! I don't know him personally either, but I did send him a PM once to get some clarification on the cube and he responded and was super cool.

I don't think I am in a position to comment on spotting but as a novice you sure would like to think the guys accepting the job of spotting know what they are doing... I watched it once and can't again. Prayers for sure! WOW!

I do not wish this on anyone. Hope he fully recovers.

Holly sh**!
    From the updates, apparently he had an old patella issue prior to this meet.
    Hope he recovers properly. All the best Brandon!