Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New bench press statistic "True Strength"

Wannabebig Member

New bench press statistic "True Strength"

As you may know, someone who is 5 foot tall and his chest sticks out 6 inches from his solar plexas (or however you spell that) has an extreme leverage advantage over someone that is 6'5" and has virtually no chest muscle.

What if they both bench the same amout of weight?
    Whos stronger? (At least at benchpress)

Obviously the tall dude.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I am about to propose a new statistic..."True Strength"

This may be widely excepted, or it may be laughed at. If you have any suggestions...please post and tell me.

(Weight of press for one rep) / (body weight) X (Half of length from pec muscle to middle of the palm in inches) = true strength

So...lets take me.

(160)/(135)X(12) = 14.2

As you can see...I am tall and skinney (6'3" incase your woundering) so naturally I want to make excuses for my average bench weight. I beleive this is a good indication for strength on the bench press.

Throw in your own numbers...see what you are.

please be nice on this forum

Let me please make something clear, I am in no way wanting to compete in the sport of weightlifting...I see posts about what the judges will think and it doesn't matter you just suck. I'm trying to make a statistic that really represents the persons strength. This probably won't be something used in the nfl scouting combine, its just something friends can do to see who is really stronger.

This formula WILL work...After a few more tests...I think I (or maybe you) can get the right amout of weight for the arm length thing. Maybe instead of cutting in half, I should double it. Not sure yet.

Just becuase I hope this is going to become popular, I want to make no mistake I was first if I even am. Everything in this post was written on Tuesday, June 3rd, 2008 at 7:21P.M. I, Ian Housel, am the author of this text.
    Last edited by ianusduo; 06-03-2008 at 09:22 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Someone have any thoughts...?

I have thoughts on myself, would you like to hear them?

If you suck at bench pressing, then it'd help you a lot more to work on it and improve your technique, rather than trying to make yourself feel better with a formula why you're a failure.

Doesn't anybody want to hear my thoughts on myself?...Doesn't anybody care?
    Last edited by wnt2gitswoll; 06-03-2008 at 05:46 PM.

The problem with that is that my 185x15 gives me much more than my 275x1.

^^^ +1

You're going to have to figure out a way to devalue the amount of reps. If you can do 100x1, you can do way more than 50x2, which are equal in your formula. I like the idea though, it just needs some type of coefficient to go along with it to help it work out nicer. It's not as extremely innovative as you're making it out to be though. You're basically just turning force into work then finding the work:BW ratio, in a little bit of a round about way. I still like the thought, however.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Quote Originally Posted by MightyPitbull View Post
    If you suck at bench pressing, then it'd help you a lot more to work on it and improve your technique, rather than trying to make yourself feel better with a formula why you're a failure.
    If this was my thread I'd tell you to shut the **** up. But it's not, so I'm not going to speak for the OP.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Why is this important? Just try to better your best.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    If this was my thread I'd tell you to shut the **** up. But it's not, so I'm not going to speak for the OP.

Shut the **** up.

Banned
    (335 * 1)/220 * (27/2) = 20.55
    (315*3)/220 *(27/2) = 57.99
    (225*16)/220 * (27/2) = 220.9

Number of PL or SM judges who will care what that number is = 0

Couple of things:

- If you are going to throw some numbers together, they have to have some kind of meaning or connection, so elaborating (with detail) would be helpful as to why you chose those number as opposed to other possible ones.
    - See the above explanation as to why it is inaccurate, unless you want to hold some of the variables constant
    -You can just break open a physics textbook and use some of those formulas if you are looking to get numbers out of everything.
    -If you are 5 foot tall, you should be a bencher.
    -A lot of people have done this or tried this. This isn't innovative. I don't think its possible to make a formula that doesn't favor one type of lifter or punish another in some way or form. Pound per pound numbers will favor the smaller guy. This one favors the person who can rep the best:

Weight done * reps * arm length / (body weight * 2) is what you have.

Last, you stated you wanted to make an excuse for your "average" bench. You are tall and lanky. You don't have good leverages for the bench plain and simple. The big benchers will be the guys with short ROMs, same with pretty much any other lift. Thats just the way it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post

So if your number ends up being higher than someone who benches more than you, what does that mean?

To me, it doesn't mean jack ****

Either you bench it, or you don't. You don't need some type of formula to make you look better when you aren't.
    Last edited by MPB; 06-03-2008 at 06:34 PM.

But his mama says that he's special no matter what, I say the broad is wrong.
    Last edited by wnt2gitswoll; 06-03-2008 at 06:38 PM.

wow.

just wow.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by ianusduo View Post
    skinney (6'3" incase your woundering) so naturally I want to make excuses for my average bench
    sounds about right
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

i see where your coming from with this, but its pretty deceiving (the results of each equation), and its too flawed, good try though.
    I BEAT CURL JOCKEY
    BP - 280 pause bench
    SQ - 345 outdated
    DL - 345 outdated
    Clean and Jerk - 250

Wannabebig Member
    Yea...as i sat waiting for responses I did think of the less weight more reps thing....i never would have thought the formula would work on the first try...i might be getting over my head math wise...but i do really think this is a good idea it would be so hard to get a correct formula though....

I didnt make this thread to show off my impressive benching...also you guys have know idea how old I am so dont think a 28 year old is benching 160

Wannabebig Member
    one problem im having is seeing how much deciding factor should the reach be. And to that one dude...you can just say what you think...you dont need to ask lol!

Wannabebig Member
    this is to mightypitbull

Do you feel any about yourself now that you have belittled me? Lets see whos I.Q. is better. Or lets see whos salary is bigger in 10 years.
    Last edited by ianusduo; 06-03-2008 at 08:50 PM.

Pitbull is mad because he is short

Wannabebig Member
    HAHAHHAHA i didnt realize it, but hes only 5'5". Wow...if this stat catches on...his "true strength" will be much smaller than alot of other people...I'm not gettin my hopes up though...I wouldn't want them thrashed.

this is to mightypitbull

Do you feel any about yourself now that you have belittled me? Lets see whos I.Q. is better. Or lets see whos salary is bigger in 10 years.
    I don't recall personally attacking you in any way. I just gave you my opinion that it's not useful.

What does my IQ level and have to do with anything, or my salary in 10 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate IRL View Post
    Pitbull is mad because he is short
    No I'm not...?

I was about the same weight around last august or so and I remember my bench being 50-60 pounds less. You just need to put more time under the bar. Train differently, improve your technique or w/e you need to do.

HAHAHHAHA i didnt realize it, but hes only 5'5". Wow...if this stat catches on...his "true strength" will be much smaller than alot of other people...I'm not gettin my hopes up though...I wouldn't want them thrashed.
    Thanks for the useless post. Yea I guess b/c I have short arms than average people, that's an advantage for me. Go ahead and say how other people are benching, pressing, squatting and deadlifting this much because they use this, and they have that.
    Last edited by MPB; 06-03-2008 at 09:59 PM.

this whole thing is not going to go anywhere.
    *New Goals*
    7/7/2010
    I just wanna get back in the weightlifting saddle

*Old Lifts*
    5/30/2009
    6'2", 190lbs
    Bench: 280x1, 245x3, 225x8
    Squat: 225x8, 245x4
    Deadlift: 225x6, 245x3

No dude, the real formula is this:

(1/4 of 3 rep max bench) x (size of upper arm in inches) / (length of forearm in inches)
    (divided by your max 1 rep calf raise)

this equates to:

52.5 x 15 / 11

which equals = 0.25568181818181818181818181818182
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW