The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Senior Member synonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    153

    vien popping through?

    Doing intense calf training and notice that while contracting from the middle all the way to the top this guy pops out of my shin. Gym trainner said it looked like a vien but could be fat. Since it doesn't hurt don't worry about it. Thought I'd get some opinions from WBB. The picture isn't great, no photos allowed in the gym.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ban Censors Donít Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Become Unbreakable Mark!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dallas Area, TX
    Posts
    3,632
    Kind of an odd spot for a vein I think...it kind of looks like early varicose vein. I have one on the back of my calf and that's what it looked like when it started. Dr. won't do anything with mine because they don't cause any pain or discomfort yet. Hard to tell, but is it larger than other veins and kind of..."squishy?" Could be that's just where you're leaning out first though.
    Last edited by Mark!; 02-10-2014 at 06:48 AM.
    "Light Weight"

    260's by May

  4. #3
    Senior Member synonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    153
    I haven't seen a vein this large in my legs, or anywhere else. It's squishy. I have something similar on my right shin as well but not as big. I'm going to try and do some calf raises at home and get my wife to take a closer look. At first I thought it was a piece of muscle popping through, but it was just too soft.
    Ban Censors Donít Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

  5. #4
    Senior Member gaz90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    ireland
    Posts
    105
    i have the same on my leg, whenever i put weight/ lean on my right leg the vein pops out. exact same place too. looks freaky but i dont think theres anything too it...hopefully....
    last meet, GPC, Irish Open: 03/11/2012
    @ 82.5kg/ 181 junior raw
    S: 192.5kg/424
    B: 130 kg/286
    D: 225kg/495
    best gym lifts:
    S: 182.5kg/400
    B: 135 kg/300
    D: 220 kg/485

  6. #5
    Senior Member synonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by gaz90 View Post
    i have the same on my leg, whenever i put weight/ lean on my right leg the vein pops out. exact same place too. looks freaky but i dont think theres anything too it...hopefully....
    I've just never imagined veins on shins before. I guess it's not impossible...but still looks freaky. Might look cooler once everything leans out a bit.
    Ban Censors Donít Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

  7. #6
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,590
    You literally saw it come out? My guess it is an aneurysm of some sort. I would get it looked at.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  8. #7
    The Bulkness Cometh! BULK_BOY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ontario, CANADA !
    Posts
    1,368
    I would say it's just a vein. I have a very similar one on my left forearm near my wrist. Kinda squishy and cool.
    "to teach God's word, by his own example; that we must Love all things that God made" - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

    DL: 375 RAW No Belt, No Wraps, No nothing!
    SQ: 325 RAW " " "
    BP: 220 RAW " " "

    Total: 920 hahaha Not quite a 1000lbs (This was done back in 2008 )

  9. #8
    Senior Member synonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    You literally saw it come out? My guess it is an aneurysm of some sort. I would get it looked at.
    It pops out when doing heavy lifting...my shins stay normal with the exception of that particular spot where it looks like a bump popping out from under the skin. No pain. It goes away when there are no heavy loads on my legs. Takes a while to pop through (Half way through a heavy squat or calf raises.
    Ban Censors Donít Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

  10. #9
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,590
    Quote Originally Posted by synonymous View Post
    It pops out when doing heavy lifting...my shins stay normal with the exception of that particular spot where it looks like a bump popping out from under the skin. No pain. It goes away when there are no heavy loads on my legs. Takes a while to pop through (Half way through a heavy squat or calf raises.
    Like I said. It is obviously a weakened wall that gives when carrying increased blood flow. It may be nothing from a health perspective, but I still think it would be a good idea to have it looked at.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  11. #10
    Senior Member synonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Like I said. It is obviously a weakened wall that gives when carrying increased blood flow. It may be nothing from a health perspective, but I still think it would be a good idea to have it looked at.
    Thanks. I'm going in to see the doctor in the morning. Hopefully he can shed some light on the issue.
    Ban Censors Donít Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

  12. #11
    Senior Member synonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    153
    Doctor said it wasn't an issue. He said everyone has a weaker left leg when blood returns to the body from the left leg especially when apply a lot of pressure like with squats etc.
    Ban Censors Donít Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

  13. #12
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,590
    Quote Originally Posted by synonymous View Post
    Doctor said it wasn't an issue. He said everyone has a weaker left leg when blood returns to the body from the left leg especially when apply a lot of pressure like with squats etc.

    Good .


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  14. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by synonymous View Post
    Doctor said it wasn't an issue. He said everyone has a weaker left leg when blood returns to the body from the left leg especially when apply a lot of pressure like with squats etc.

    Well, that's good news. My buddy has a vein in the same spot. Looks similar to the one you have.

  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    111
    what kinda gym doesn't allow photos?
    picture taking is a useful tool to measure progress and correct form. Not just a vanity thing.

  16. #15
    Senior Member synonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugby Dad View Post
    what kinda gym doesn't allow photos?
    picture taking is a useful tool to measure progress and correct form. Not just a vanity thing.
    It might be a Japanese thing. All phones have shutter button noise activated and it's no legal to have them on silent (Thus no option to do so). There's a real problem with pervs taking photos of young women. Most trains in Japan have an announcement on as they leave the station "It is illegal to be a pervert. Please report perverts to the station or train operator." And during rush hour they have 'women only' carts on the trains. All of this leads to no video/photo taking.

    That said, I did talk with the manager of the gym (Gold's Gym) and he said if I wrote a letter asking permission to take video of form etc. to the upper management, that I'd likely get the OK and as long as someone was with me while I did this, I would be OK. BUT for now, no photos/video without permission.
    Ban Censors Donít Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

  17. #16
    Wanna Be BIG Joe B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by synonymous View Post
    It might be a Japanese thing. All phones have shutter button noise activated and it's no legal to have them on silent (Thus no option to do so). There's a real problem with pervs taking photos of young women. Most trains in Japan have an announcement on as they leave the station "It is illegal to be a pervert. Please report perverts to the station or train operator." And during rush hour they have 'women only' carts on the trains. All of this leads to no video/photo taking.

    That said, I did talk with the manager of the gym (Gold's Gym) and he said if I wrote a letter asking permission to take video of form etc. to the upper management, that I'd likely get the OK and as long as someone was with me while I did this, I would be OK. BUT for now, no photos/video without permission.
    Haha, that's pretty wild. Seriously though, what kind of perv takes a picture of his leg and posts it on the internet? Put some pants on, bro.
    Meet PRs: Squat 455 / Bench 270 / Deadlift 525

    The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint; the greats were great because they paint a lot. - Macklemore

    Be happy. This world can be ugly, but isn't it beautiful? - Jack's Mannequin

Similar Threads

  1. LCL popping?
    By twm in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-25-2010, 11:14 AM
  2. Popping ab?!?
    By Bruise Brubaker in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-05-2003, 04:56 AM
  3. my vien popping forearm
    By mailman21108 in forum Members' Pics and Videos
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-03-2003, 03:14 PM
  4. Ear popping
    By Berserker in forum General Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-17-2003, 03:56 PM
  5. Popping Hip
    By ElPietro in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-15-2002, 10:14 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •