The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Do stimulants increase the chance for a muscle pull/strain?

I have had a few muscle pulls/strains in the past 4-5 months or so and the only thing I can think of that I have been doing differently is adding in more stimulants than in the past. I pulled my quad and the day I did it I took a sample of a preworkout that I had got for free, it was loaded in caffeine and there were very noticeable stimulant effects (I drink lotsof coffee and my coffee drinking has nothing on this stuff).

Just last week I pulled/strained my lat (which is one of the most painful things I have ever experienced). The weird thing is I wasn't even doing back work, I strained it while locking out a back squat. I wasn't even using much weight since I am coming back from the above mentioned quad pull but I guess I was stressing hard at the top and I must have been flexing my lat hard and it was already too tight and boom, strained. I was trying to cut some weight so I was taking an EC stack, not a ton, just once a day of 200mg C, 25mg E.

I know stimulants have a diuretic effect to them but would it also lead to an increased chance of a muscle pull or strain? My hypothesis is that the stimulant use raises the tension on your muscles, as in I will be bouncing my leg more, clenching my muscles more, etc. and that effect reduces flexibility and leads to injuries if you are already tight (which I definitely am).

Any thoughts? I could be completely off here and am well aware of that, I just want to reduce my chances of injury when I get this lat healed up (I have already added in much more mobility work than I had been doing).
    6'1", 215lbs

Deadlift - 475, Front Squat - 320, Back Squat - 405

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

A common side-effect with the stimulants used to treat ADHD is muscle tension. I've seen it in clients but have never heard of any actual pulls. Typically tension in the jaw, shoulders. So as you suggested the added tension may put you at risk for a pull. They may also cause some vasoconstriction whihc may diminish blood supply to a muscle when training.

Quote Originally Posted by RFabsik View Post
    A common side-effect with the stimulants used to treat ADHD is muscle tension. I've seen it in clients but have never heard of any actual pulls. Typically tension in the jaw, shoulders. So as you suggested the added tension may put you at risk for a pull. They may also cause some vasoconstriction whihc may diminish blood supply to a muscle when training.
    Interesting, thanks for the information. I think I am just going to stick to my coffee for a while until things get nice and healed up and I can get more mobile. Then I will be at a lower risk to pull something so the added stimulants shouldn't do too much. If only mobility/stretching work was as fun as deadlifts...
    6'1", 215lbs

I've never heard of anything to that effect, but it is possible.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I've never heard of anything to that effect, but it is possible.
    I mean, I definitely think the cause was more my never stretching and always being incredibly tight, it was going to catch up to me at some point. This was more of a curiosity and thought of how I could reduce the chances of reinjuring it while I slowly work back into things.
    6'1", 215lbs

Are you taking anything like fish or flax seed oil or glutamine? Might help ease your joints?? Stretching the muscle before and during workouts seem to work for me.