The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Who's a astrength guru and who's not

I got a real problem with many these young lifters (I define young here as under 30) who despite their own quite impressive accomplishments; who go on spewing specialized training advice etc. with only a mere 5-6 years of adult lifting under their belt.

These young phenoms I'm so in awe of their incredible size at such a young age and their strength feats, but being learned & experienced enough to now give wide ranging training advice is a different thing.

anyone else feel me?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'll chime in. Im 31 but have been doing this sport at a high level since my first meet at 17.

Age doesn't equal Wisdom knowledge or experience. It only equals age.

Most people I help in training are much older then me and while they may be older then me they don't have the ideas and especially the implementations stragedies that I have.

Professionally this is very similar. I manage a vocational program for disabled adults. I over see 2 centers, 30 Staff, and 70 plus clients. The individuals are supervise have been in the field longer then I have been alive but yet I still lead them to success and solve the problems they can't.

I am younger absolutely. But age shouldn't define my merit or ability.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Josh bryant, at 22 years of age he was the youngest person in powerlifting history to bench press 600 pounds raw. There is videos of Eric lilliebridge pulling 800 when he was 19-20 years old.

theres many ways to get stronger, often the stronger are smarter.

If i saw a guy pressing 5 plates, i would be straight over there like a shot, looking to soak up any tips, tricks or advice he might have -the last thing i would care about would be how old the guy was.
    last meet, GPC, Irish Open: 03/11/2012
    @ 82.5kg/ 181 junior raw
    S: 192.5kg/424
    B: 130 kg/286
    D: 225kg/495
    best gym lifts:
    S: 182.5kg/400
    B: 135 kg/300
    D: 220 kg/485

Ughhh, I have had a lot of experience in the 4 decades I have been around powerlifting. The strongest are not always the best gurus. Sometimes strong guys just know how to work hard and listen well to others. Doing and coaching are different. That said, I much prefer coaches that can do and teach. However, that does take time. I'm sure Josh would tell you he's an infinitely better coach now than he was in his early 20's.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I agree with Scott, age doesn't equal experience or knowledge unfortunately.

I've run into plenty of coaches that were into their 60's and couldn't explain why or what they had their lifters doing and it showed in their lifters performance.

That said, in the age of social media, I think there are also a LOT of guys who claim coaching ability and really they aren't any good at it, they are just good at marketing.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Ughhh, I have had a lot of experience in the 4 decades I have been around powerlifting. The strongest are not always the best gurus. Sometimes strong guys just know how to work hard and listen well to others. Doing and coaching are different. That said, I much prefer coaches that can do and teach. However, that does take time. I'm sure Josh would tell you he's an infinitely better coach now than he was in his early 20's.
    yea i guess you're right there.
    @ 82.5kg/ 181 junior raw
    best gym lifts:

If a person has been training 5-6 years and achieved "respectable" strength numbers, they would be someone who had my ear.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

How many greats in other sports have successful coaching careers? Most of the great coaches were backups or role players. I always look at how many other lifters they've coached to elite status. It's usually pretty surprising how few if any. A good coach should be producing elite lifters on a consistent basis.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Are we talking the local gym big guy or the likes of the Lilliebridge's and Lilly? (I think Lilly is 30) and Josh Bryant?

If the first, I think local gym guys all flock to the local guy that's bigger than they are, that's natural selection. If someone's bigger/stronger than you are in a local gym, naturally you're more inclined to seek our their advice and help.

If the latter, regardless of age, these guys have specialized routines and are helping other lifters get stronger and stronger every year. After working with Bryant and getting interested in power lifting a few years back, I can vouch for his ability to navigate the waters of training, and knowing what to change and when to change it. He dialed in my training and diet, and if anything ever came up that needed to be changed, we made adjustments and kept moving forward.

I think there are always 2 sides to just about everything. You have some powerlifting coaches, or lifting coaches in general who don't even look like they lift, but produce guys turning out huge numbers each meet. Looking at some of the IFBB bodybuilding "coaches" you'd see some of them look like they're crack heads rather than possible unlimited amounts of strength and nutrition knowledge. Some guys have obtained a ton of knowledge over the years and are good at sharing and plugging it in to guys programs. On the other hand, you have some huge phenoms who can't begin to tell you why they do this or that, but continue making huge gains in their training be it genetics or whatever.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I came across this article while checking out some other articles on their site. Pretty relative.

http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...t-detector-on/
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Mark, Eric lilliebridge is 23 as am i, seeing him lift is quite an inspiration to me i have to say!

that article was a good read too
    @ 82.5kg/ 181 junior raw
    best gym lifts:

Quote Originally Posted by gaz90 View Post
    Josh bryant, at 22 years of age he was the youngest person in powerlifting history to bench press 600 pounds raw. There is videos of Eric lilliebridge pulling 800 when he was 19-20 years old.

theres many ways to get stronger, often the stronger are smarter.

If i saw a guy pressing 5 plates, i would be straight over there like a shot, looking to soak up any tips, tricks or advice he might have -the last thing i would care about would be how old the guy was.
    I don't agree at all.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    And I agree with Vince.

Lots of the strong guys hava a coach, and they don't even have a clue on what their programme is for, or benefits towards their goal.

And Scott may be a great coach, but the years of experience absolutely turns the equation on his favour. I am not saying only age, but experience.
    Besides that theres a saying in my country (spanish translation....): The devil knows more evil because he is old, than because he is the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_El_Piko View Post
    I don't agree at all.

And I agree with Vince.
    What part of his post do you not agree with exactly?
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    What part of his post do you not agree with exactly?
    Good point. It was unfair.

With this part.

Quote Originally Posted by gaz90 View Post
    And I explain why IMO in that post.
    Last edited by Niko_El_Piko; 02-24-2014 at 07:54 AM.

If anyone that's stronger than me was willing to share how they got there, I'd definitely listen. But that doesn't mean I'd take it as gospel. Their strength would be a factor in determining their credibility, but it's just one factor.

In the words of Bruce Lee, "Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own."
    Meet PRs: Squat 455 / Bench 270 / Deadlift 525

The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint; the greats were great because they paint a lot. - Macklemore

Be happy. This world can be ugly, but isn't it beautiful? - Jack's Mannequin

Quote Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
    If anyone that's stronger than me was willing to share how they got there, I'd definitely listen. But that doesn't mean I'd take it as gospel. Their strength would be a factor in determining their credibility, but it's just one factor.

In the words of Bruce Lee, "Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own."
    This is my take on it. You've got to be able to weed through the bullshit of what someone says and extract the useful information.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_El_Piko View Post

The devil knows more evil because he is old, than because he is the devil.
    I like that

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    This is my take on it. You've got to be able to weed through the bullshit of what someone says and extract the useful information.
    This is so true. But oh how many don't know how to weed thru the bs and just swallow all they hear.

Let's face it. Most people hear the parts they want to hear. They'll hear the parts that confirm what they wanted to hear. The part you don't want to hear is the part you should pay the most attention to because it'll help the most.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron