Thread: Experiences with rest pause training

Experiences with rest pause training

I am a week out so I am planning my next training cycle. I am going to try and take my first off season in as long as I can remember. I am going to be keeping my ME exercises at 5 reps. Speed will be kept the same. I am toying with using training for my assistance work. I'm also thinking about having my ME bench day be chest/shoulder/tri assistance and my DE be back and biceps. I trying to break into this hypertrophy thing everyone keeps talking about.

Curious on thoughts and suggestions. Oh yeah, I am planning on dropping 20 lbs. That's the biggest reason I will be moving from singles on ME to fives.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

One of the most significant purposes of the max effort method is CNS training, so for someone as strong as you are, you'll probably notice a bit of a drop off in your strength when you transition back to singles but sometimes a person needs to take a break from heavy training.

The hypertrophy thing I've had success with really in how I approach my accessory training. Mixing it up between very heavy stuff to lighter high rep - pump oriented training.

That said, I really love training to a one rep max every week.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I hear you Travis. I just want to take a mental break from maxing singles. It's probably only going to be about a month. Thanks for the input.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    I hear you Travis. I just want to take a mental break from maxing singles. It's probably only going to be about a month. Thanks for the input.
    It'll be a week.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    I understand brother. I originally thought you were talking like 4 months. A month probably won't make a huge difference.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Since your goal is hypertrophy and your title indicates an interest in rest/pause, why not take a look at the HCT-12 routine? I have had really good results (strength and hypertrophy) with it, as has everyone I've recommended it to. It doesn't fit your ME/DE protocol, but the philosophy is solid and I think it can point you in the right direction.
    Height: 5'5"
    Weight Class: 165
    Squat (raw): 355
    Bench Press (raw): 265
    Deadlift (raw): 501.5

I've been using it when short on time. If kids/work got in the way instead of having an hour to train that I only have a half hour, I might hit the major lift well (for me about 3-4 warm up sets, 3-4 work sets), do one heavy assistance (3-4 work sets) and then hit the other stuff for one set with rest pause fashion. It's been a fun change of pace.

It might be harder to program if using all the time if you are really driving the rest-pause sets hard.

I'm going to be making the switch to Carb Nite to drop my weight so I want to keep my sessions short. That's why I am thinking of experimenting with rest pause where it works. I have my program written out so I will give it a go for a month after my meet this weekend. Thanks for the responses all.