Thread: Tell Me About Your First Meet

Wannabebig Member

Tell Me About Your First Meet

I joined this site back when I was a freshman in high school and first got into weight training. I was into it very much but was foolish about training, diet and consistency and fell out of it after a 2-3 on/off again period. I smoked cigarettes for two years after I graduated and stopped working out as a whole. After awhile I got sick of feeling like a piece of shit and dropped the habit last January and started hitting the weights again.

I started doing Jim Wendlers 5/3/1, using Dave Tates spread for it and I'm hooked. I'm back in the swing of things and working out is becoming fun again while I still make sure I get good calories and lots of protein in. I signed up for my first powerlifting meet a few weeks ago which is october 11th. I'm in the 198 weight class, but I kind of intend on just going into whatever class I land in, just for the off chance that I go over the weight limit before the meet. That might make me sound foolish, but I'm into it more to just compete against myself rather than win first prize and beat anyones total or anything like that. I was wondering if you guys could either share some experiences on your first meets or even just offer me tips/advice on what to expect or tell myself to prepare for it better.
    Last edited by T2ThaJoyal; 04-28-2014 at 03:32 PM.
    Goals By October 11th
    Bench Press - 225
    Deadlift - 405
    Squat - 375 (formerly 300)
    Weight - 205 lbs
    Current Stats
    Bench Press - 185 lbs
    Deadlift - 315 lbs
    Squat - 300 lbs
    Weight - 190 lbs

The best thing you can do is go to a meet before the one you are competing and just observe. It can get overwhelming if you don't know the order of things. It helps to have someone there to help you out. Depending on how big the meet is, it can be hard to get your warm ups done when and how you want to.

Definitely don't worry about making a certain weight, go into whatever weight class you land in. You also have the right idea to just do what you can do and not worry about anyone else. Your openers should be very easy, like a last warm-up set. Pick openers that you can get on your worst day under the worst conditions and make them look easy. Once you get your opener, go for whatever you want on your following attempts. The most important thing in your first meet is to get some numbers that you will try to beat at your next meet.

Try to stay calm the day of the meet. Find an area where you can keep your stuff and grab a chair if possible. Sit down as much as you can when you're not warming up or lifting. Always have water or a sports drink nearby so you can stay hydrated. Bring a lot of food options for yourself. You want to be eating throughout the day but don't over-eat.

And have fun.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I haven't had one yet. I'm 230 pounds and my total is only 1200 after lifting for a while! I doubt I'll ever be strong enough to actually be competitive :/

Though, I also dislike deadlifting and benching (I like to squat and OHP), so not sure I'd even get anything out of a meet.
    Last edited by Falcon63; 04-29-2014 at 02:04 PM.

Best advice I can give is to start warming up early. You can always slow a warm up down, but speeding one up is stressful. Just have fun. Meets are awesome! Good luck.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

My first meet was terrible lol. I bombed. I was 18 and did a bench only meet. I bought my ehphd blast shirt and was ready to dominate. I opened at 430. That was more then I ever did before. I beat the press command and racked the bar too soon. I then missed the loft twice. Big bomb! It took me three meets to get a lift in. Don't worry about being competitive. Most meets you won't even have 1 or two guys in your class. Just do a meet and have a blast. Take toilet paper. Powerlifting meets are held in hotels or small gyms. People dominate the toilets and make a mess. Take some tp as the toilet paper always runs out.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Find experienced lifters to train with. That's critical. They'll be able to guide you on how to prep, how to warmup at the meet, and how to pick attempts. I think at your first meet it's better to be conservative and make 8 or 9 lifts. Just get some numbers you can aim to beat at your next meet.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Wannabebig Member
    I had the goal to have my heaviest squat be 300 at the meet in october and hit it for 2 singles just last week. I'm beyond stoked. I never thought I'd ever be that strong in life, nevermind so far away from my meet. Thinking about going for 350/375 for my heaviest attempt now.
    Goals By October 11th
    Bench Press - 225
    Deadlift - 405
    Squat - 375 (formerly 300)
    Weight - 205 lbs
    Current Stats
    Bench Press - 185 lbs
    Deadlift - 315 lbs
    Squat - 300 lbs
    Weight - 190 lbs