Thread: Training Blunders???

Hybrid View

Training Blunders???

Paul Carter posted:

http://www.lift-run-bang.com/2014/03...oulda-did.html

He details his foray into Leo Costa and Tom Platz's Bulgarian System and what a wast of time it was but like many of us when young we might have done some goofy programs or tried some odd exercises.

Wondering what programs, training methods or exercises you tried that turned out to be blunders?

Part of me is just curious for the fun of it. But I'm also wanting to see what doesn't work for folks.

Not bashing CrossFit, but when I started doing some of their WOD's I was doing wall balls outside at night next to my garage. In the darkness I miscalculated the Wallball letting it smash into my nose.

Like many, when I first started I was following Arnold's program from his Encycolpedia of Bodybuilding. It was way too much volume from where I was especially with the little weights I was handling. Regardless, it helped get me started into weight training.

Quote Originally Posted by RFabsik View Post
    He details his foray into Leo Costa and Tom Platz's Bulgarian System and what a wast of time it was
    Been there. Did that. Yup, what a waste of time. I have made much better progress training only a few times a week............ Not six times. Oh well, Live and Learn.
    "to teach God's word, by his own example; that we must Love all things that God made" - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

DL: 375 RAW No Belt, No Wraps, No nothing!
    SQ: 325 RAW " " "
    BP: 220 RAW " " "

Total: 920 hahaha Not quite a 1000lbs (This was done back in 2008 )

Good thread.

When I first started competing I started some Russian routine that was completely progressive overload and had you benching 3x's a week, each one heavy.

I'll admit, I did get gains out of it but shortly afterwards went to Westside and realized how inefficiently I was training.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Robert, I did the same as you. I had Arnold's Education of a Bodybuilder and followed one of the routines listed in the back. I overtrained like crazy and quickly stagnated. It wasn't until I read some of Ellington Darden's books and tried low volume, high intensity of effort work that I started progressing again.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Robert, I did the same as you. I had Arnold's Education of a Bodybuilder and followed one of the routines listed in the back. I overtrained like crazy and quickly stagnated. It wasn't until I read some of Ellington Darden's books and tried low volume, high intensity of effort work that I started progressing again.
    Ironically, I then took it to the other extreme reading religiously stuff by Arthur Jones. I was working out twice a week with maybe 10 work sets per workout. It really taught me how to take a set to failure and I did make some gains but over time I got stuck.

Dorian Yates "Blood and Guts" really helped me split the difference of volume and intensity.

I've wacked myself quite a few times in the chin when doing OHP.

I did browse through the site you listed (run lift bang) lol and I gotta say, that guy comes across as a tool. He sure is impressed with himself though.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

You gotta admit he's done some pretty solid lifting and offers pretty standard but basic advice.

Quote Originally Posted by RFabsik View Post
    You gotta admit he's done some pretty solid lifting and offers pretty standard but basic advice.
    I have honestly never heard of the guy before this.

Not picking on him but found the info to be pretty generic. His lifting ain't bad.

It's not too terribly different from a lot of stuff I see on FB or whatever social media a person would choose. People create whatever persona they think might be applicable to their success I suppose.