Thread: Water cutting techniques?

Water cutting techniques?

Looks like I will come in about 10 lbs over 198. Last time I competed at 220 I got creamed. Does anyone know or can point me to a resource on how to cut water?

Why are you cutting?

I have cut several times and it only works a small percent of the time.

Are you new to powerlifting?

If you are, I would just focus on getting stronger and hitting PRs.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Cutting to make weight. Not new to powerlifting

I know that you need to make weight lol. But why?
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    I know that you need to make weight lol. But why?
    I registered at 198, the 220 division is already capped. If I can't make weight I can't compete.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamar View Post
    I registered at 198, the 220 division is already capped. If I can't make weight I can't compete.
    I've never heard of that, but here is what I've done in the past and had success. The most I think I lost while following this was 11 or 12lbs. My hardest part was putting the weight back on.

Monday: 2 or more gallons of water
    Tuesday: 2 or more gallons of water
    Wednesday: 1.5 gallons of water
    Thursday: 0.5 gallon done before 6pm
    Friday: Weigh-in
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

This might help...

Water Manipulation for Strongman Weight-Cutting:

Here is a summary with some guidelines for a water manipulation program for the purpose of making weight for a strength sport event with a 24 hour weigh-in. Below I will post a more detailed and comprehensive breakdown with some examples.

The program starts the Monday before a contest (assuming that you are competing on Saturday and trying to make weight on Friday). The basic concept is to ‘load’ water so that your body becomes more efficient in processing the fluids and then cut out the water roughly 18 hours before the weigh-in causing your body to over-compensate and dehydrate for a brief period of time.

Guidelines:

• It is important to consume a good amount of protein (at least 1g/lb of body weight) and to get plenty of sleep (8+ hours/night) during this process as it is quite taxing.
    • You can expect to lose 10-15 lbs with very minimal effort other than following the dietary protocols, and an additional 5-10 lbs can be dropped with the use of a sauna or steam room if necessary.
    • Cut our all dairy and processed foods on Monday at the latest.
    • If you have fat burners (any kind) then start taking them on Wednesday or Thursday.
    • Your food on Wednesday and Thursday should be mostly shakes and lean meat - so basically just protein. You can also add in some nuts for energy/calories (make sure that they are unsalted if it is later in your cut).
    • Your afternoon and night time weight will peak on this program but you will notice yourself losing about 5 lbs overnight.
    • I wouldn't do any actual ‘cardio’ during the week before a contest but if you want you can walk on the treadmill at 2-3 mph for 15-20 minutes.
    • Once you make weight use something like Pedialite (can be mixed with water) to rehydrate immediately. If you had a large amount of weight to drop you will likely not feel like drinking/eating anything but it is very important to rehydrate as quickly as possible – this will optimize your performance.
    • Start taking Vitamin C on Monday and an herbal OTC diuretic on Thursday (diurex, etc.).

Here is some more information from two veteran competitors who regularly cut 15-20+ lbs for contests multiple times per year:

Simple Template:

5g Vit C every day

• Monday - 1.5 gal distilled water, 200 carbs
    • Tuesday - 2 gal distilled water, 150 carbs
    • Wednesday - 2 gal distilled water, 75 carbs
    • Thursday- 2.5 gals distilled water, 50 carbs, cut water at 2-3 pm, add water pill & fat burner
    • Friday – Use fat burners and unsalted nuts to sustain yourself until weigh-in.

*Rehydrate with 1 carbo force, 1 pedialyte mix w/ 1 Gatorade/Powerade.....then eat a starchy carbohydrate meal roughly 1 hour later and relax/nap for a bit, then eat dinner (carb/protein) after you have relaxed for 1-2 hours. If necessary you can take some pepto bismol or other stomach medication before bed but do not take it prior to rehydrating/eating.

Daily Detail:

• Two weeks before the meet I cleaned up my diet. Watched my carbs, limited fats, etc. I started drinking more water and salting my food to get my body to get accustomed to flushing excess fluids.
    • Monday thru Friday took 3-5 grams vitamin C to help flush water
    • Monday: Increase water to 1.5 gallons distilled, cut all sodium, drank some mag sulfate to help rid intestinal bulk.....after the mag sulfate only ate dense and easily digestible foods for the rest of the week. Note: If you are cutting 10 lbs or less I would not worry about the laxitives, they can mess you up.
    • Tuesday: increased to 2 gallons distilled. Lots of protein every 2hrs and less than 150g carbs all day.
    • Wednesday: 2 gallons distilled again, same as Tuesday but less carbs
    • Thursday: 2.5 gallons distilled by 4pm, only food was 3 meals of salmon and protein shakes + peanut butter. Started taking taraxatone (naturally diuretic). Cut food at 2pm and cut water at 4pm, weighed 249 after cutting water
    • Friday: only drank enough water to take vitamin c and taraxatone. Weighed 242lbs upon waking and lost a lb every couple hours. Weighed 239 at 5pm so i started hitting the sauna. Did 2 rounds of 10 min with a couple layers of clothes on, came back to the gym and was still 4lbs over. Came back to the sauna at 6:30 with another guy who had to make weight and we sat 2x for 15min each and toweled off the sweat in-between. Remember that you only need to make 231.5 for LW.
    • Rehydration: Immediately drank 1 quart pedialyte and a carbo force. (don’t drink too fast or you will get sick to your stomach). After about 15-30 minutes try to drink 2-3 more quarts of water mixed with carbo-force or pedialite. After that I would eat some pasta with meat sauce and possibly add some salt to it, and then rest for a bit and try to put down another carbohydrate/protein meal finishing off with some snacks (cookies, bars, etc.).

Additional Info:

You lose 100 grams of weight every hour just from breathing out water and from metabolism of calories. So water restriction for 10hrs nets 1kg or 2.2 lbs, so 24hrs of that will net you 5lbs......that’s without any sweating at all. With the water loading and the caffeine/vitamin C/herbal diuretics you will drop a significant amount more weight than that, and the sauna is good for the last few pounds if needed.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Water Manipulation for Strongman Weight-Cutting:

Here is a summary with some guidelines for a water manipulation program for the purpose of making weight for a strength sport event with a 24 hour weigh-in. Below I will post a more detailed and comprehensive breakdown with some examples.

The program starts the Monday before a contest (assuming that you are competing on Saturday and trying to make weight on Friday). The basic concept is to ‘load’ water so that your body becomes more efficient in processing the fluids and then cut out the water roughly 18 hours before the weigh-in causing your body to over-compensate and dehydrate for a brief period of time.

Guidelines:

• It is important to consume a good amount of protein (at least 1g/lb of body weight) and to get plenty of sleep (8+ hours/night) during this process as it is quite taxing.
    • You can expect to lose 10-15 lbs with very minimal effort other than following the dietary protocols, and an additional 5-10 lbs can be dropped with the use of a sauna or steam room if necessary.
    • Cut our all dairy and processed foods on Monday at the latest.
    • If you have fat burners (any kind) then start taking them on Wednesday or Thursday.
    • Your food on Wednesday and Thursday should be mostly shakes and lean meat - so basically just protein. You can also add in some nuts for energy/calories (make sure that they are unsalted if it is later in your cut).
    • Your afternoon and night time weight will peak on this program but you will notice yourself losing about 5 lbs overnight.
    • I wouldn't do any actual ‘cardio’ during the week before a contest but if you want you can walk on the treadmill at 2-3 mph for 15-20 minutes.
    • Once you make weight use something like Pedialite (can be mixed with water) to rehydrate immediately. If you had a large amount of weight to drop you will likely not feel like drinking/eating anything but it is very important to rehydrate as quickly as possible – this will optimize your performance.
    • Start taking Vitamin C on Monday and an herbal OTC diuretic on Thursday (diurex, etc.).

Here is some more information from two veteran competitors who regularly cut 15-20+ lbs for contests multiple times per year:

Simple Template:

5g Vit C every day

• Monday - 1.5 gal distilled water, 200 carbs
    • Tuesday - 2 gal distilled water, 150 carbs
    • Wednesday - 2 gal distilled water, 75 carbs
    • Thursday- 2.5 gals distilled water, 50 carbs, cut water at 2-3 pm, add water pill & fat burner
    • Friday – Use fat burners and unsalted nuts to sustain yourself until weigh-in.

*Rehydrate with 1 carbo force, 1 pedialyte mix w/ 1 Gatorade/Powerade.....then eat a starchy carbohydrate meal roughly 1 hour later and relax/nap for a bit, then eat dinner (carb/protein) after you have relaxed for 1-2 hours. If necessary you can take some pepto bismol or other stomach medication before bed but do not take it prior to rehydrating/eating.

Daily Detail:

• Two weeks before the meet I cleaned up my diet. Watched my carbs, limited fats, etc. I started drinking more water and salting my food to get my body to get accustomed to flushing excess fluids.
    • Monday thru Friday took 3-5 grams vitamin C to help flush water
    • Monday: Increase water to 1.5 gallons distilled, cut all sodium, drank some mag sulfate to help rid intestinal bulk.....after the mag sulfate only ate dense and easily digestible foods for the rest of the week. Note: If you are cutting 10 lbs or less I would not worry about the laxitives, they can mess you up.
    • Tuesday: increased to 2 gallons distilled. Lots of protein every 2hrs and less than 150g carbs all day.
    • Wednesday: 2 gallons distilled again, same as Tuesday but less carbs
    • Thursday: 2.5 gallons distilled by 4pm, only food was 3 meals of salmon and protein shakes + peanut butter. Started taking taraxatone (naturally diuretic). Cut food at 2pm and cut water at 4pm, weighed 249 after cutting water
    • Friday: only drank enough water to take vitamin c and taraxatone. Weighed 242lbs upon waking and lost a lb every couple hours. Weighed 239 at 5pm so i started hitting the sauna. Did 2 rounds of 10 min with a couple layers of clothes on, came back to the gym and was still 4lbs over. Came back to the sauna at 6:30 with another guy who had to make weight and we sat 2x for 15min each and toweled off the sweat in-between. Remember that you only need to make 231.5 for LW.
    • Rehydration: Immediately drank 1 quart pedialyte and a carbo force. (don’t drink too fast or you will get sick to your stomach). After about 15-30 minutes try to drink 2-3 more quarts of water mixed with carbo-force or pedialite. After that I would eat some pasta with meat sauce and possibly add some salt to it, and then rest for a bit and try to put down another carbohydrate/protein meal finishing off with some snacks (cookies, bars, etc.).

Additional Info:

You lose 100 grams of weight every hour just from breathing out water and from metabolism of calories. So water restriction for 10hrs nets 1kg or 2.2 lbs, so 24hrs of that will net you 5lbs......that’s without any sweating at all. With the water loading and the caffeine/vitamin C/herbal diuretics you will drop a significant amount more weight than that, and the sauna is good for the last few pounds if needed.
    Thanks!!

I highly recommend a practice cut if you have never done one before. We all have different methods. Cutting comes down to how much suffering you are willing to endure. I have done over 20 lbs in the past. I will not do more than 10 now. 10 is a cakewalk, but then again % wise I'm heavier than you are.

I use water manipulation like the ones already posted. I am also a fan of wearing a sauna suit in my car with the heat all the way up with the seat warmers on. Cheap man's sauna. But don't drive! I just sit in the car that way. I have tried hot baths with success, but I got very dizzy. I will never do that again. I also recommend if you are sweating weight, don't do it alone. You can pass out from it pretty easily and you won't be able to stop it.

You will read all kinds of crazy things, and I have tried most of them. The worst was covering my body in albolene. I was like a greased pig. I also hate the aggravation of iv bags. Just make sure that you put every lb on that you took off. That is another process within itself. If you are not well experienced at cutting it usually does not work well. I wrestled for a bit in hs so was already used to the suffering of cuts.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 10-02-2014 at 09:00 AM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

This is good advice, I completely agree:

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    I highly recommend a practice cut if you have never done one before. We all have different methods. Cutting comes down to how much suffering you are willing to endure. I have done over 20 lbs in the past. I will not do more than 10 now. 10 is a cakewalk, but then again % wise I'm heavier than you are.

I use water manipulation like the ones already posted. I am also a fan of wearing a sauna suit in my car with the heat all the way up with the seat warmers on. Cheap man's sauna. But don't drive! I just sit in the car that way. I have tried hot baths with success, but I got very dizzy. I will never do that again. I also recommend if you are sweating weight, don't do it alone. You can pass out from it pretty easily and you won't be able to stop it.

You will read all kinds of crazy things, and I have tried most of them. The worst was covering my body in albolene. I was like a greased pig. I also hate the aggravation of iv bags. Just make sure that you put every lb on that you took off. That is another process within itself. If you are not well experienced at cutting it usually does not work well. I wrestled for a bit in hs so was already used to the suffering of cuts.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com