Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Westside Training.. Effective For Bodybuilding Purposes?

Westside Training.. Effective For Bodybuilding Purposes / Opinions Of Program?

I am wondering about this.

I am, as you all know, very into my strength. Especially in the past 6 months or so. Westside Training seems like a pure strength program. But from what I understand strength gains transfer over (generally) into size gains? Is this correct or no?

Would Westside be effective as for bodybuilding at all? (muscle size gain, etc.)

I am also wondering about your personal Westside experiences. It seems very popular here at WBB. What do you guys think of this program? Is it good / bad what?

Opinions?
    Last edited by MonStar; 07-21-2002 at 11:22 PM.

I dunno, I'm still learning about it. There seems to be quite a few posts on it in other places on this board too, which I am slowly wading through.

First heard about it on Supertraining last year, have incorporated parts of it into my workout over the last year, but still pretty much only hit the different body parts once a week, instead of 2x or 3x, though I may soon try a more formal Westside routine, after reading some good stuff here, and ElPietro's discussion of a routine using similar methods. I'm new here so I have yet to preview the different routines and articles. Pretty cool site.

I am rotating speed days, volume days, and heavy days into chest (bench) and leg (squat) workouts, and doing some light deadlifts (3 plates) during my back workouts, in addition to my "accessory" work. Can't really say that my bench has improved, or that I've gotten any bigger, but my squat still seems to be moving. I had a big jump in it last fall, but that was mostly due to Glucosamine, which I started taking last May '01. I had set 405 as my upper limit after hitting 505 a few years ago because of knee pain, and my reps at 405 were even starting to slip (boredom). The glucosamine kicked in, I started a higher volume growth routine, with some heavy days thrown in, and wham, back into the 500s. WoooHOOOO!!!

I have put on a couple lbs of muscle in the last few months, and also a couple lbs of fat, which I am currently dieting off. I'm in this for the long haul, not really in a hurry, wanting to get stronger, leaner and bigger...concurrently if possible, so I can pretty much stay on cruise control in this area, with occasional fine tuning, and focus on other parts of my life. This approach has served me well since I started weight training in '83, with adjustments from time to time. I'm thinking the Westside routine couldn't hurt, especially if my triceps don't get smaller or weaker
    Brett

You gonna do squats?

--(*lllllll*)--
    The voices tell me to crawl it.

Bespoke Super Mod
    I personally enjoyed it immensely and have incorporated certain movements and aspects in my current routine. I know your worried about fat gain and such like but if you were to give it a shot you could still watch your diet and not gain much if any unwanted fat, look at latty he's been in the 148's for quite a while now and he's becoming stronger and stronger. I actually lost weight during westside and put 80lbs on my dead and 60lbs on my squat in around 9 weeks.

If you were to try westside you would have to make some modifications as much of the bench work (except speed bench ) seems to focus on partial ranges and very little direct chest work is done, so you would need to tinker here. Another aspect you may have noticed is that it can be high volume, this is because none of the accessory movements are taken to failure.

Read Adam's article and Elitefts.com for mor info.
    "A + B + C = Success if, A = Hard Work, B = Hard Play, C = Keeping your mouth shut" -Albert
    Einstein

I've always gone to the gym with the conviction that I'll be the hardest working mother****er in the joint. Make that your credo, and hope we don't lift at the same place.
    -- Adam Fahy

"Fran is a double-hard bastard"- Clint Brewer 31/12/02

Thanks for the replies guys.

Maybe sometime way down the road Ill give it a shot. It seems to be geared 100% to a powerlifter though which I am far from. I dont have any interest at all in powerlifting, bodybuilding is my main interest. Strength is fun but strength and hypertrophy are much more fun in my eyes.

Any other experiences / opinions?

Wouldn't dynamic speed exercises be mainly stressing Type IIb fibres which have the highest propensity to grow? I'm thinking westside is a "good" program for size but not the best. If you eat well I'm sure you could have some great gains in size.

Many of the people on westside are doing it for competition...so all the guys under the super heavyweight level are probably keeping as light as possible and that's why you can see many really strong guys that are lean such as latman...but once they crack the last weight bracket they just start packing on weight like a mofo as it can only help with their lifts.

Westside is all about putting up big numbers...bodybuilding is more concerned with what you eat in my opinion. Diet has been my demon ever since I started, I don't think there is anything you can do to have a great physique without at least eating semi-intelligently.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Nice post EP. I agree man that Westside is more or less about geared towards powerlifting, not bodybuilding. I was just wondering - any other experiences?

I would not use Westside if my goal was only to improve my physique.

You can certainly learn from how it is set up and take some things from it (like the importance of GPP and conditioning, and how to increase your work capacity).
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    I think it would help with your strength a good bit, as well as some extra size, but since you said you're focused on bodybuilding, I think I would focus on a routine more centered around mass.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    well I think size and strength go hand in hand, but there would be better routines for a strictly size gain program. Also, where's Nejar, he should be all over this

Originally posted by Accipiter
    well I think size and strength go hand in hand
    So how would you explain someone like latty who lifts significantly more weight than you, and at a significantly smaller size and weight?
    Last edited by ElPietro; 07-22-2002 at 11:33 AM.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    he's huge for his height.

also, if you're shorter, you have a smaller range of motion. I'm not knocking his lifts at all. I'm gonna have to bust my ass if I ever wanna get where he is.

Originally posted by Accipiter
    he's huge for his height.
    I wouldn't say that at all. He's like 150lbs, can't remember the height but I think he'd be the first to admit that he's pretty skinny.

Current FFFA Enforcer

he's only 150? Well how tall is he? 5 4? 5 6?

Size nad strenght do go hand in hand, but not across individuals.

Also, an increase in muscle size requires an increase in strength. An increase in strength doesn't require an increase in muscle size, and may not actually cause one.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Originally posted by ElPietro
    Wouldn't dynamic speed exercises be mainly stressing Type IIb fibres which have the highest propensity to grow
    Lifting speed does not affect recruitment. It is dependent on force requirements. If you lift with 85% or so of your 1RM--which will typically mean lifting in the 5-8 rep range--you'll recruit all the muscle fibers you're gonna recruit from the first rep.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Originally posted by Blood&Iron

Lifting speed does not affect recruitment. It is dependent on force requirements. If you lift with 85% or so of your 1RM--which will typically mean lifting in the 5-8 rep range--you'll recruit all the muscle fibers you're gonna recruit from the first rep.
    Does it not require more force to lift at a fast rate? Otherwise it would seem that the dynamic sets that westside prescribes would be useless at the 50-60% range. We'd be able to lift any weight we could at any speed if it didn't require us to exert more force. Also, I wouldn't consider explosive movements oxidative, although I could be wrong about that, so the optimal muscle fibre type for glucolytic movement is type II fibres and more specifically type IIb.

I'm not sure where you are getting 85% of 1RM with 5-8 reps as that is not how traditional westside dynamic speed sets are performed.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Originally posted by ElPietro

Does it not require more force to lift at a fast rate? Otherwise it would seem that the dynamic sets that westside prescribes would be useless at the 50-60% range. We'd be able to lift any weight we could at any speed if it didn't require us to exert more force. Also, I wouldn't consider explosive movements oxidative, although I could be wrong about that, so the optimal muscle fibre type for glucolytic movement is type II fibres and more specifically type IIb.
    While I botched things up a bit, what I was saying originally is that it is physiologically impossible to preferentially recruit fast-twitch muscle fiber with explosive movements. That's all. I'm too lazy and lack the knowledge to get into a full blown discussion of muscle physiology. I tried working out some of the physics, but I realized I can't remember much other than Fnet = ma - mg. Anyways, lifting fast DOES require more force, but it still doesn't affect recruitment. You'll have to find somebody more knowledgeable than me to explain it.

I'm not sure where you are getting 85% of 1RM with 5-8 reps as that is not how traditional westside dynamic speed sets are performed.

What I wrote had nothing to do with Westside, other than with regard to issues of recruitment. Using 85% of one's 1RM will typically allow one to get 5-8 reps. And using that much weight, means all the muscle fibers will be recruited from the get-go.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 07-22-2002 at 01:51 PM.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

I would love if someone could explain it as well then. It's just that to say that all fibres are recruited on an explosive lift, then it would seem that slow and fast twitch fibres would have similar properties. Yet we know that slow twitch fibres are oxidative in nature...and (this is the part I don't know) I'm not sure if they would respond to such a high load in a short period of time. The only reason I have for stating this is cause and effect. If I train with heavy weight then my fast twitch fibres will grow whilst slow twitch will be stay relatively small. I know we have genetically predetermined ratios of fast and slow twitch fibres but we can impact what ratio of overall mass each is.

Ok I'm not sure if I just rambled in the extreme there but I'll leave it. Basically, if you are lifting this way and your endurance is reduced but strength is increased would you not say you are preferentially recruiting Type II fibres?

Current FFFA Enforcer

These two posts should explain some of this(The first is probably where I got the reasoning I used in my first post):

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=re...onr.com&rnum=3

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=re...onr.com&rnum=9

A more thorough search of MFW could probably answer all your questions, as could Bryan Haycock over at www.hypertrophy-specific.com
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 07-22-2002 at 02:21 PM.

"So first you recruit/optimally fatigue/damage/stimulate your IIb's with the 3X6-8. So they are toast and stimulated to grow. Now you drop back and do 2-3X10-12 to recruit/optimally fatigue/damage/stimulate you IIa's."

This is in Lyle's closing statement...which seems to me a bit contradictory to what he originally stated. That lifting in the 85% 1RM range for 5-8 reps will recruit 100% of all fibre types. In the final statement he speaks of different weight and rep ranges to optimally recruit different fibre types. Perhaps I missed something or I'm just not understanding some point he made. Maybe I'll do some further reading later. Although, knowing what rep ranges give me certain results is probably sufficient enough.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Looks like I was partially wrong. Think this answers your question.

Originally posted by Bryan Haycock to the HST forums
    There is very LITTLE difference between 1RM and 5RM. The level of recruitment is practically equal. The only difference is how many times the weight moves.

Please understand that ALL slow motor units are activated at relatively low force output. Fast fibers begin to act fully at only 30-50% of your 1RM. Motor units are all utilized but they are not recruited all at once (rate coding etc). This doesn't happen all at once until the load goes up, or motor units begin to fail (fatigue). When a muscle begins to shake it is because recruitment patterns are beginning to synchronize in an effort to accommodate fatigue.

Fatigue of muscle fibers cause LESS microtrauma, not more. If the fibers are not forcefully contracting they are not going to be stimulated to grow.

The load and speed of movement determines what fibers are "worked". Worked is not a good term. "Recruited" is more accurate. 4-6 reps on bench using "10 pounds" moving slowly will likely NOT recruit your fast fibers. Push that same 10 pounds as fast as you can and you will recruit nearly all of your fast twitch fibers.

4-6 reps on bench using "300 lbs" will likely recruit ALL your fast twitch fibers. No matter what the speed. The weight usualy moves slowly because it is heavy, not because your fibers aren't contracting as quickly as they can. Fibers have no control over how fast the contract. They are either 100% ON or 100% OFF, there is no dimmer switch.

Muscle tissue does not distinguish between rep ranges. There is not a special number of contractions that "triggers" a hypertrophic response. The only thing that triggers hypertrophy is sarcolemma distortion and subsequent microtrauma and to a lesser extent, metabolic activity. These pathways of mechanotransduction have been mapped and are not in question. Yes, there are always more details to be ironed out, but the pathways are now established that go from mechanical load to muscle cell growth.

In order to adhere to the principles of training induced muscle hypertrophy we must have progressive load. Progressive load sufficient to cause hypertrophy will limit the number of times the muscle can successfully contract against the resistance. There are several old studies that narrowed it down to a range of perhaps 20 reps (if the muscle is deconditioned) all the way up to 120% of your 1RM. So, depending on how conditioned the muscle is, you can use any rep range between 20 reps and negatives.

While using HST, your reps decrease simply because the load is increasing. Itís that simple. There is no magic number, though others might have you believe there is.

To add a few points:

Haycock's point about the "recruitment" of fibers vs. the "training" of fibers is correct. A fiber can be recruited, but isn't considered "trained" until its been fatigued (Zatsiorsky); this is why slow-twitch fibers don't grow from heavy movements. Yes, they're recruited, but they aren't exposed to enough stimulus to grow.

Originally posted by El Pietro:

B&I is right-- lifting speed doesn't affect fiber recruitment. Force, or actually tension developed in the muscle, does. Faster movements generate more tension, as do heavier ones.

The 50-65% 1RM loading recommendations come from research performed by AS Prilepin. Prilepin's research showed that, at loads in that range, the optimal number of reps was 2-4, and the optimal range of total repetitions was 18-24 (I think, I'm recalling this from memory).

The entire purpose of that, or any explosive-strength/power training technique, is to improve the neural effects: rate coding as mentioned, firing frequency, etc. The intended effects are *not* muscular; however, it should be noted that using compensatory-acceleration training at 70-80% can develop hypertrophy and power.

That would be an example of training performed to emphasize muscular hypertrophy, which is the other half of the strength equaiton (not to you LP, to the others ). Just to note, I've seen "speed" training done with many kinds of protocols, not just Westside's dynamic style. This includes 70-80% loadings for 3x5, 30% loading for 12x3, 95% for a single followed immediately by 50% for a triple, etc etc etc.

The term "explosive-strength" encompasses a LOT of different qualities (rate of force development, "power," etc), and depending on the sport and circumstance, these can be developed in a lot of different ways.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    LMAO@ "huge for his height"

I knew I could count on LP to jump in on that one, lol.

I'm with Paul on this one. If my main goal was to enhance my physique(bodybuilding), I would not choose Westside.

PS- Westsiiiiiiiiiddddeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Btw.....5'7" 148ish. Skinny fooker.