The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Question on workout routine and diet

Here is my situation, 5 foot 5 inches, 35 years old. I am oveweight by 50 pounds and have a beer gut but I am not weak. Decent strength. I have lost 25 pounds in last year by changing my diet, not eating fast food and starting to exercise very moderately. I recently joined the Volunteer fire department and I NEED to get stronger fairly quickly. I would like to lose some inches off my waistline and build up my cardiovascular endurance. Appearance not important, just want to get a little slimmer so I can fit in smaller spaces and be able to lift a lot more. Such as carrying 150 pound person by myself, being able to lift very heavy equipment for vehicle extracation and other very demanding tasks. As of one month ago I am trying to eat between 2000 and 2500 calories a day. lifting weights 2-3 times a week (all free weights focusing on upper body since my legs are already really strong). Walking on treadmill at 10% incline at 2.5 mph for 30 minutes 3 times a week. Use Jacobs ladder 2 to 3 times a week for as long as I can last. Rt now about 4 to 5 minutes.

Tips on diet?

tips on cardio vs weight training?

Can you gain muscle and lose fat at same time or is that impossible. If I had to pick one I would need to gain strength. but I still need to up my cardiovascular endurance so I am not so winded after a structure fire and I am running around for 3 hours. thanks for tips.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by touro1979 View Post
    Here is my situation, 5 foot 5 inches, 35 years old. I am oveweight by 50 pounds and have a beer gut but I am not weak. Decent strength. I have lost 25 pounds in last year by changing my diet, not eating fast food and starting to exercise very moderately. I recently joined the Volunteer fire department and I NEED to get stronger fairly quickly. I would like to lose some inches off my waistline and build up my cardiovascular endurance. Appearance not important, just want to get a little slimmer so I can fit in smaller spaces and be able to lift a lot more. Such as carrying 150 pound person by myself, being able to lift very heavy equipment for vehicle extracation and other very demanding tasks. As of one month ago I am trying to eat between 2000 and 2500 calories a day. lifting weights 2-3 times a week (all free weights focusing on upper body since my legs are already really strong). Walking on treadmill at 10% incline at 2.5 mph for 30 minutes 3 times a week. Use Jacobs ladder 2 to 3 times a week for as long as I can last. Rt now about 4 to 5 minutes.

Tips on diet?

tips on cardio vs weight training?

Can you gain muscle and lose fat at same time or is that impossible. If I had to pick one I would need to gain strength. but I still need to up my cardiovascular endurance so I am not so winded after a structure fire and I am running around for 3 hours. thanks for tips.

A beginner, and I think you fit the category at least relative to strength training can lose body fat and gain muscle at the same time.

Strength training is superior for body composition when compared to cardio. You should focus on a strength training program and augment it with 2-3 days per week of 20 min. of light to moderate intensity cardio. The alternative would be CrossFit style training. It might even better suit your needs. I am sure you have a CrossFit box near you.

If you want to do it on your own, check out our free HCT-12 program listed here.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I think Chris is offering solid advice.

My one addition: don't neglect training the legs with weights. First, leg strength will be essential for you job as a volunteer firefighter and second heavy leg and back work is great for stimulating muscle growth.

Most established programs are built around squats and/or deadlifts.