The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

NateDogg's A Small Window into My World Journal

Well, I am finally going to start an online journal. It should be no problem keeping it up, workout wise anyway, as I write down all my workouts anyway. I already posted my new routine in Training but I will post it again here with a couple of changes. My back has really been bothering me lately. I think I will be off to see a doc soon, but I am going to give it a couple weeks or so with as little stress as I can put on it, while still lifting. Then re-evalulate. That said, here is the routine I will be starting with:

Day 1 - Legs
    Leg Extensions 5 sets of 5
    Leg Curl 5 sets of 5
    Donkey Raise 5 sets of 5
    Please keep in mind here that I am leaving out deads and squats for now to hopefully allow my back to heal. I will add them in slowly if/when my back does feel better.

Day 2 - Active Rest/Rest

Day 3 - Chest/shoulders
    Weighted Dips 5 sets of 5
    DB Bench Press 5 sets of 5
    Incline BB Press 5 sets of 5
    Military Press 5 sets of 5
    Lat Raise 3 sets of 10

Day 4 - Back
    Weighted Pull-ups 5 sets of 5
    Close Grip Rows 5 sets of 5
    Reverse Flye with DB's 3 sets of 10

Day 5 - Active Rest/Rest

Day 6 - Arms
    BB curl 5 sets of 5
    DB curl 3 sets of 5
    Close Grip Press 5 sets of 5
    Skulls 5 sets of 5

Day 7 - Active Rest/Rest

I might throw some cardio in there too. Man I hopemy back feels better soon, I REALLY miss deads and squats.

I will be eating pretty much how I have been eating for the last 6 months. Eating every 2 to 3 hours, with the goal being to never be hungry. Getting ~200 grams of protein, most from chicken, steak, tuna, 1% milk and whey. 250+ grams of carbs, most from vegetables, fruit, brown rice, 1% milk and oatmeal. ~50-75 grams of fat, from steak, natural PB, peanuts, 1% milk and flax.

To give an idea of strength, my personal bests:
    Conventional Deadlift = 315 for 5
    Below Parallel Squat = 270 for 5
    DB Bench Press = 90lbs each for 5
    Dips = bw + 80lbs (total 265) for 5
    Pull-Ups = bw + 27.5lbs for 5

Those lifts were at:
    5'10"
    185 lbs
    bf ~ 12-15%

Hoping to continue to put on lean mass. Although for the next couple weeks I just hope to have a healthy back. This journal may go by the wayside if I end up having to back off the lifting for a time but we shall see I guess...

Tonight I am off to the Ted William's Tribute at Fenway Park with a bunch of friends. Are any of my fellow WBB "Massholes" planning on attending?

The routine will be continued (I actually started it a week or so ago) with chest and shoulders tomorrow night.

Until next time...

NateDogg

edited to add Milk to list of mostly eaten foods.
    Last edited by NateDogg; 07-22-2002 at 11:53 AM.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Good luck boi

positive move starting a journal

hope your back heels as soon as poss.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

wrestler
    Where is the pain in your back? What was the first evualation?
    Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life, No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6

My Journal

God Bless!

Originally posted by waterbuckat
    Where is the pain in your back? What was the first evualation?
    The pain is mostly right above my tailbone.

I guess I should have said evaluate, as the first "evaluation" was me saying to myself that something does not feel right and laying off the heavy low back stress work.

Blue veined member !
    I`ve never tried 5 sets of 5, I`m interested to see how it works for you, i may try something like that for myself soon. Good luck !
    Rememeber after every dark night, comes a bright day so no matter how hard it gets stick ya chest out, keep ya head up and handle it ! - Tupac shakur

Thanks for all the support fella's!!

Hellrazor, 5X5, and a lot of food, did wonders for me earlier in this year. ~15 lbs, most of it muscle, and increases in all of my lifts. Gonna give it another shot after some time away from it.

I need a change. May be I should also try this 5 X5. But my first guess would be that 5X5 with heavy weights would help you gain strength rather than size???
    How long have you been lifting, your lifts seem to be good.

Originally posted by Vynod
    I need a change. May be I should also try this 5 X5. But my first guess would be that 5X5 with heavy weights would help you gain strength rather than size???
    How long have you been lifting, your lifts seem to be good.
    I have been lifting for quite some time. I would guess 7 years or so. However, up until the end of last year, beginning of this year, I was not lifting intelligently, nor was I eating nearly enough food.

Yeah, 5X5 has mostly helped with my strength I think, but being new to lifting correctly and eating, my sixe increased sufficiently as well.

Wannabebig New Member
    Nate, did you benefit from any of the prohormones or prosteroids you may have tried (just curious since I had pretty good success with some)?

Originally posted by The Cardinal
    Nate, did you benefit from any of the prohormones or prosteroids you may have tried (just curious since I had pretty good success with some)?

I did not, nor have I ever, nor will I ever, use any sort of performance enhancing drugs.

wrestler
    Originally posted by NateDogg

The pain is mostly right above my tailbone.

I guess I should have said evaluate, as the first "evaluation" was me saying to myself that something does not feel right and laying off the heavy low back stress work.
    you try just icing it? could be an inflammation. That and a lower back strecthces healed me. I just layed on the ground with my back on the floor and pulled my righ tleg to my chest for 30secs to a min, then left foot. then both feet, then over my head, then my right leg over my left leg and twisting my back, there isn't any name for that stretch so I don't know if you know what im talking about. What felt tha tgreatest was bringing my feet over my head while I was laying on my back........ After a couple days I barely never have anymore lower back pain and I ahd it for about a year........
    Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life, No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6

My Journal

God Bless!

wrestler
    Originally posted by NateDogg

I did not, nor have I ever, nor will I ever, use any sort of performance enhancing drugs.
    :withstupi

My Journal

God Bless!

do you class creatine as performance enchanching drugs?
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Originally posted by Big-Ron
    do you class creatine as performance enchanching drugs?
    I would not, simply because creatine is found in food, i.e. steak, which many people eat.

Originally posted by waterbuckat

you try just icing it? could be an inflammation. That and a lower back strecthces healed me. I just layed on the ground with my back on the floor and pulled my righ tleg to my chest for 30secs to a min, then left foot. then both feet, then over my head, then my right leg over my left leg and twisting my back, there isn't any name for that stretch so I don't know if you know what im talking about. What felt tha tgreatest was bringing my feet over my head while I was laying on my back........ After a couple days I barely never have anymore lower back pain and I ahd it for about a year........
    I have iced it, but not consistently. I am not going straight to the doc's only because I think that suggestions such as yours may help. I just have to go and do them, and let my back rest

Well, the Ted Williams Tribute last night was awesome. Great to see all the old ball-players out there celebrating a great career in baseball, and John Glenn and others helping to celebrate him as a war hero and giant in the battle against cancer, in support of the Jimmy Fund. Made a lot of great memories there.

On to today!
    Ate ok today. Not enough protein I don't think as we needed to go food shopping badly. Got that out of the way though so I'm good to go. Chicken breasts on the Foreman right now, rice in the microwave after I finish this! *Goes to check on chicken*

Pretty good workout. Intensity was definitely very high. I was kind of suriprised that I got up for it that much as I had felt kinda sick all day. Workout lasted just under an hour. Including warmup.

Chest/Shoulders

Dips:
    set / weight / reps
    1 / 100 / 12
    2 / 185 / 5
    3 / 265 / 5
    4 / 265 / 4
    5 / 260 / 5

These were at a bw of 185, the numbers reflect such. For example 100 lbs = 185-85 (85lbs were assisted for a warmup set) They felt great! Needed a little help with the last one on the 4th set, so dropped down to 260 for the last set and had no problem at all.

DB Bench Press:
    1 / 50 / 5
    2 / 60 / 5
    3 / 80 / 5
    4 / 80 / 5
    5 / 80 / 3

After killing myself on dips, these were tough. Needed some help to get to 5 on the last couple sets, then didn't even get close on the last one. Looks like I migth have to drop to 75 next time as the dips really took A LOT out of me. No problem though.

Incline BB Press: ~ 30 degree incline
    1 / 115 / 5
    2 / 125 / 5
    3 / 135 / 5

Again, these were freakin' tough as well. As you can see I dropped two sets due to the intensity I figured out I could generate using just three, after 10 other sets for chest. Might even tinker with it a bit more as, obviously, I had little left in me for these.

Military Press (seated):

1 / 95
    2 / 95
    3 / 95

Same as above, I was dead tired, especially after involving front delts so much in inclines. Might tinker with this as well.

DB lat Raise:

1 / 15 / 10
    2 / 15 / 10
    3 / 15 / 10

These felt real good too. Good squeeze at the top.

All in all I was happy with it. Back hurts a little now. Going to ice it, take a warm bath, then stretch before bed.

Questions? Comments?

Gonna check out some of the rest of the journals to try to get some format help.

Later!

NateDogg
    Last edited by NateDogg; 07-23-2002 at 07:00 PM.

Just talked to my S.O. Since we try to work out together as much as possible (she is a strong and cut up 110 lbs @ 5'0" I love it ;D and love to work out with her), I am taking today off and will work out with her tomorrow as she is working at her other job tonight.

Eating really well today.

Chest is pretty sore from yesterday.

Later.

NateDogg

S.O.???
    You are not your job.
    You are not how much you have in the bank.
    You are not the contents of your wallet.
    You are not your ****ing Khakis.
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world."
    ~Tyler Durden~ Fight Club

See my WBB #1 Journal and pictures of my progress Here

Originally posted by Raven Blade
    S.O.???
    significant other

The Red Sox are currently down 9-5 to the freakin' Devil Rays, mid-8th inning. I really hope they pull this one out, or it's going to be two in a row to that lowly squad!

Oh yeah, I ate awesome today. Except for a little piece of ice cream cake (stupid office b-days). Well, helped keep my calories up I guess. Not real worried about it. Had nothing but chicken, holy $****, I'm cooking chicken on the forman right now! *sprints into kitchen to rescue chicken*

*comes back* the chicken is ok!

Anyway, food...

7:30 - egg-whites and a whole wheat Thomas' bagel (highly recommended, 10 grams of fiber!) with natty pb on one half and fairly low sugar jam on the other.

10:00 - cottage cheese

12:00 - chicken breast, brown rice with olive oil on it

3:00 - chicken breast and a little broccoli

4:30 - few handfuls of peanuts

7:30 - ham and light cheese sandwhich on 100% WW bread

9:30 - huge glass of 1% milk

!0:00 (now) - another chicken breast.

How does that look? I figure that's roughly 200 protein, 50 fat, 150 carbs. Now that I look at it, if my estimates are even close, that's only around 2000 calories. I gotta eat more!!!!!

I know, it's a bitch to eat healthy AND rack up the calories. At lunch yesterday I was chowin down 2 cans of tuna mixed with a cup of brown rice with a little salsa to liven things up and I was barely choking it down. Hope I have better luck today!!!

p.s. Boston's doing fine this year.. they can afford a few losses!!
    You are not your job.

Thanks bro,

I threw in three whole eggs to go with my egg whites this morning, that should help. I also, unfortunately, had a tuna salad sandwich for lunch . I guess I'll live, and that had PLENTY of calories! Yup, another chicken breast with brown rice in about an hour . I am also trying to drink more 1% milk as that is quick, decent calories.

On another note, I am f'n pysched for the gym tonight. I really have to try to keep myself from getting too pumped during the day to avoid a let down when I finally do get to the gym. Back day today. Gotta top that bw + 27.5 for 5 reps. Going for at least +30.

Hopefully the Sox season will matter. Although articles I have read recently give me hope that there will be an agreement without a work stoppage for the first time in baseball history.

NateDogg

Are you trying to gain weight then? I kinda am but only if it's lean. Summer just isn't the best time to gain weight as my appetite is much lower and I'm doing way more outside sports wise.
    You are not your job.

Originally posted by Raven Blade
    Are you trying to gain weight then? I kinda am but only if it's lean. Summer just isn't the best time to gain weight as my appetite is much lower and I'm doing way more outside sports wise.
    I have pretty much been trying to put on weight all my life. I have ALWAYS been quite lean, so I have never had to worry about diet all that much. Of course, I eat quite heathily anyway as that's just what I do.