Thread: martial arts article/routine - feedback needed

martial arts article/routine - feedback needed

Hey, Powerman kindly showed me the following article.

What are your opinions on it?

Credit to http://www.mtodynamics.com

"I have tried lifting weights to add power to my striking and grappling techniques. Since I want to build endurance, as well as strength, I do three sets of ten to twenty reps to failure on all my exercises. The problem is, I get so sore and tired, that I have no energy left for my martial arts practice! What am I doing wrong?"
    Everything. The punch bag who came up with the light weights/high reps formula for martial artists did not have a slightest clue about either strength training or martial arts.

The best strength training formula for a fighting man or woman is heavy, 80-95% 1RM, weights, and low, 1-5, repetitions. There are at least five reasons why:

1. Heavy weights build strength.

It is the muscular tension, not fatigue, that you should maximize in training if strength is your goal. There are plenty of studies, for instance Goldberg et. al (1975), to support this notion. The heavier is the weight you are lifting, the higher is the tension. It is that simple.

2. Strength endurance gained with ten, twenty, or more, reps is not specific to hand to hand combat.

You would be a lot better off doing a few rounds on a heavy bag or Thai pads. Iron is just for strength, period. Leave the sissy high rep stuff to aerobic instructors.

3. Low rep training causes minimal fatigue and muscle soreness.

Strength endurance work of the kind that you and most martial artists favour takes a lot longer to recover from that one to five rep strength work (Roman, 1962). High repetitions also make you a lot more sore. Does not it make sense to perform your conditioning in a manner which does not interfere with the practice of your fighting art?

4. High reps build useless tissue and break down real muscle.

One of the reasons bodybuilders are generally a lot weaker than they look is that their muscles ain’t real. Repetition lifting of a submaximal weight, the bodybuilding choice, promotes sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, or an increase in the volume of worthless jello like filler inside the muscle, while breaking down the contractile proteins, the "real" muscle (Nikityuk & Samoylov, 1990).

5. Heavy low rep training is the safest way to lift.

No, I have not been hit on the head a few times too many. I will give you at least two reasons why heavy, low rep weight training is much safer than lifting a light weight a lot of times. First, the stabilizing muscles get tired before the prime movers in high rep sets, which sets you up for an injury. When you do a set of twenty squats, your back gets tired before your legs and sooner or later you will get hurt! On a five rep set your legs will be first to go. Second, when you lift a weight which is heavier than eighty percent of your maximum, you can get superstrong without training to failure. Ed Coan who posted the highest powerlifting total of all time not long ago always racks his monstrous weights a rep or two short of his limit! If you want to know the hows and whys, check out my new book Power to the People!: Russian Strength Training Secrets for Every American.

With all of the above in mind, here is the program of choice. Perform three core lifts: the squat, the bench press, and the deadlift. Squat and bench on Monday, then press again and deadlift on Thursday. Upper body exercises tax your body less than leg and back work, that is why you get to bench twice a week.

Finish both power workouts with abdominal work in the same heavy weight, low rep mode. Use your favourite exercise, or take your pick of the full contact ab drills from my book Beyond Crunches: Hard Science. Hard Abs. It will do you good to visit my seminar on ab training at the Arnold Schwarzenegger Classic 2000 as well.

Do five sets of five, four, three, two, and, one reps. Add a little weight, 2,5-10 pounds after every set. Rest for as many minutes as the number of reps you have just done: 5 reps, 5 min, 4 reps, 4 min, 3 reps, 3 min, 2 reps, 2 min, 1 rep, go home.

Start the program with weights you can easily lift for the prescribed number of repetitions. Add a little weight every third workout until you can barely make your reps, then take a week off lifting. When you come back to the gym, start another power cycle with comfortable weights, and build up to your new personal best in eight to twelve weeks.

The results will be spectacular. You will build great strength without stealing time or energy from your martial art practice. Who can expect more from a conditioning program?

Pavel Tsatsouline, Master of Sports, is a former physical training instructor for Spetsnaz, the Soviet Special Forces. He has a degree in coaching and physiology from IFK, the Physical Culture Institute, in the Soviet Union. Pavel was nationally ranked in the Russian ethnic strength sport of kettle-bell lifting and has authored three books, Beyond Stretching, Beyond Crunches, and Power to the People! Go to dragondoor.com or call (800) 899-5111 for a free catalogue.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

sounds to me like his problem is he's not enough shape to do both. When i first doubled up it took away from my martial arts ability too. Its kind of like football, the coach makes you condition before practice to get your muscles warm and fatigued, because when they are tired so is your mind, and its in this situation you need to learn how to react quickly and intelligently. -Master Funigoshi- read the book -art of war

Wannabebig Member
    Being that i am such a big pavel fan, I think that is a pretty solid work out. I have prescribed to his "greasing the groove" pull-up routine which i have found to have helped me out. I would highly recommend his "power to the people" book. I enjoy his routines/exercises because they often help or aid in muscle "explosion" which is key to most combat sports, which this one looks to do. I don't think it would hurt to try this style routine, In fact i think i might have to try it myself.

I'm not really sure what replies you were looking but i hope this helps a little.
    Teenidol1

"You can say whatever you want. But you would still be wrong, of course." -Henry Rollins

Hell is other people- Jean-Paul Sartre

By the way, it's http://www.myodynamics.com

Originally posted by TylerDurden
    sounds to me like his problem is he's not enough shape to do both.
    Oh at the irony of that statement.........
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

I've debated with myself on this topic at great length. I agree with most of what was stated in the copy and paste. I think the major lifts are very important as connective tissue growth is stimulated to a greater extent and the more you train your body to work multiple muscle groups in short periods of time can be of great benefit to martial artists. Along with all the benefits of gains in bone density and overall strength of the skeletal structure.

One problem I see with all of this. To actually fight you will require strength and power and you probably won't need it for too long. Real fights don't last all that long anyway. But in order to get to a level where you are a competent fighter, regarding various techniques you need to train rigorously very frequently. This requires a lot of aerobic capacity. If you train for strength or hypertrophy your aerobic type I fibres will suffer. In fact so will your type Ia fibres which are still oxidative. So you will be strong and powerful which is great in a fight, but your day to day training will suffer due to lack of aerobic capability.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Basically, what I'm saying is that if you are an average martial artist and you've trained for strength, you willl somewhat increase the power of your kick, but in your training you may only be able to practice 60% as long as you'd normally practice which could lead to poor technique.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

bump..

i think i am gonna try this routine as its so simple..

any other views on it?
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

bone crusher
    looks fine. Maybe stay in the 3-5 rep range instead of 1-5?

I think it sounds like a good routine to try. Of course, there is another school of thought that tries to use lower % of 1RM weights to mimic the movements of your sport of choice. This school believes in using relatively light resistence to build explosive power. Personally, I think this routine looks good. Use the weights to build strength and use the boxing practices to build boxing specific strength and power (speed of puches, mechanics etc.).

Hulk
    What exercise would target upper body twist muscles (obliques?) to build up that explosive hook punch?

Heavy bag has got to be better than hi rep workouts, you are using such greater combinations of muscles and speed all at once, there is no real way of replicating this in the gym. Totally shags me out anyway.

Difficult to mix the 2
    Been off training for 6 mths but I remember the instructor would always get us to do some serous press up drills just after I'd done an extreme Bench session the day before. or sprints carrying your mate on your back after a squat day, how do they know (evil bstrds)